EndoScopic Sinus Surgery/Septoplasty

MaryStella

I am getting my deviated septum repaired as it is causing an obstruction that has lead to me having a sinus infection for well over a month. Just wondering if anyone else on here has had this procedure done and what I should expect etc. My surgery is scheduled for Monday 5.18.9

Thanks!

I had it done in 2007. My doctor was awesome. No visible swelling or bruising and no splints or packing (had to miss 9 days of work due to that instead of the standard 4-5 to prevent infection). There was almost no pain whatsoever, even without sucking down vicodins every 4 hours. The worst part was the not being able to breathe out of your nose, at all. I'd wake up in the morning and my mouth and tongue were so dried out, they'd crack and it felt like I had a block of wood wrapped in sandpaper in my mouth. That didn't ease up for a couple weeks. My breathing still isn't 100% but it's a hell of a lot better than it was before the surgery.

My surgery isn't until late morning so I have time to workout before I go in. However, I can't drink or eat anything after midnight. not even water so I am trying to decide if i should workout in the a.m. cuz i know I won't be able to post op. But I am concerned that I won't be able to refuel from the workout and will feel like crap going into surgery. What do you think?

Yep. Talked to my friend tonight who is a nurse for my surgeon and she said don't workout because dehydration wouldn't be a good thing to go into surgery with because of the heavy drugs that they give being hard on the body. So it looks like a long week off for me. It will be a rough week but hopefully it will be worth it in the long run.