anybody doing high raw?

Ooh, I've never had raw hummus before, I'm intrigued!

Is most tahini raw? I can't see where mine says.

It's so good. You'll have to try it. I can't wait to hear about it in your food blog

Most tahnini is made with toasted sesame seeds.

If the jar doesn't saw raw then the seeds won't be raw.

few things!

Yes, a fellow michigander!!

Cleaning out the juicer is a pain in the arse...but I love how that green juice makes me feel!

yeah...sprouting is ridiculously easy...you have a point!

and raw hummus-I've used Alissa Cohens recipe where you use raw zuchinni instead of garbanzos and raw tahini....but there's just something about the cooked beans, though that raw zuchinni just can't duplicate. But the raw version is good too

Maybe that is simple for you...but considering I have ZERO experience with it...I need a bit more information...

maybe at some point I'll get into it, but I dont even have the slightest clue how to start
She just explain it in simple terms.

Tasha, where do you let them sit after straining them, in the fridge? Seriously I don't know.

Maybe that is simple for you...but considering I have ZERO experience with it...I need a bit more information...

maybe at some point I'll get into it, but I dont even have the slightest clue how to start
She just explain it in simple terms.

Tasha, where do you let them sit after straining them, in the fridge? Seriously I don't know.

hryan77, I was joking around with you. Don't take it personally. I have zero experience too.

Really you should check out the net for how to sprout..there are various different methods. you need to decide what to sprout and then see the best method. Youtube also has some very informative videos and a visual explanation is often clearer than a written one.

you can download charts which give you a rough idea of how long you should soak the seeds before you sprout them, generally the bigger the seed the longer you soak it.

it's not that hard really and you only use a few seeds at a time so it doesn't really cost so much if you screw up. i used to use wide topped glass jars with a section of old tights as a gauze on the top held in place by a rubber band. Now I have a three tier sprouter which only cost 18 euros and is much easier to use and doesnt take up so much space in my already microscopic kitchen! Don't go out and buy one now though..make sure you can stomach the taste of sprouts first!!

Sprouting success really depends on where you live and your free time. I can sprout here in winter no problems, but in summer when i have to work long hours and am out of the house for a long time, I can't wash the seeds often enough and they go dry and die. like when it gets too cold in winter if you dont wash them often enough they rot. its all a bit of trial and error but you need to be careful not to eat rotten seeds because they can be quite toxic. If they smell bad they are rotten, fresh seeds dont generalñly smell much. Basically you put a thin layer in the bottom of your jar, water them, drain off the water and leave them to do their stuff. As a general guide you'll need to do this about 3 times a day until you see the sprouts appear. Then you dry them off and store them in the fridge.

Personally I dont really like the taste of sprouts, although I do eat alfalfa sprouts from time to time because of their "steroid" type efffects. They are def the bet sprout for bodybuilders in my opinion. i just whizz them into my protein shake, although it makes the taste even more rank..suprising that that is possible with pea protein really but it is trust me!

Anyway, like i said check out the net and let us know how you get on!

Seriously you don't need all that equipment

(Jars, cheese cloth, or sprouter is not necessary )

You're probably got Holly overwhelmed now.

Holly sweetie

Go to your favorite grocery Store.

Walk into the bulk section.

Find anything that you find tastey to sprout

My favorites are

Mung beans

Chickpeas

Buckwheat

Green Lentils

Sometimes in local stores, they label on the bins if the items will sprout.

Do you have a strainer as in a pasta strainer ?

If not you'll need one of those.

I know you have a stink

YOu'll need to soak your whether it's nuts, beans, seeds, grains peas etc... in a large container 24-36hrs.

Then grab the container and strain them, using your strainer.

Leave them in the strainer on the counter, water and shake them a couple of times.

YOu'll notice in a couple of days they'll start forming little tails.

Yaaah loook they are growing.

If you have any more questions please email me

haha ! Yeah it's hard to find space on the counters..

You should be an expert at making things grow.. I think your Farm on FB is so beautiful !

And Marcina HELLO how can you take all the time and effort to build that wonderful amazing farm of yours. And you don't have the patience to grow sprouts? !!!

Have you seen my farm yet ? lol

LMAO!!!! I work on yours enough but I don't think I've actually looked at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should be an expert at making things grow.. I think your Farm on FB is so beautiful !

And Marcina HELLO how can you take all the time and effort to build that wonderful amazing farm of yours. And you don't have the patience to grow sprouts? !!!

Best sprouting tutorial ever!

Seriously you don't need all that equipment

(Jars, cheese cloth, or sprouter is not necessary )

You're probably got Holly overwhelmed now.

Holly sweetie

Go to your favorite grocery Store.

Walk into the bulk section.

Find anything that you find tastey to sprout

My favorites are

Mung beans

Chickpeas

Buckwheat

Green Lentils

Sometimes in local stores, they label on the bins if the items will sprout.

Do you have a strainer as in a pasta strainer ?

If not you'll need one of those.

I know you have a stink

YOu'll need to soak your whether it's nuts, beans, seeds, grains peas etc... in a large container 24-36hrs.

Then grab the container and strain them, using your strainer.

Leave them in the strainer on the counter, water and shake them a couple of times.

YOu'll notice in a couple of days they'll start forming little tails.

Yaaah loook they are growing.

If you have any more questions please email me

BECAUSE!! I lied.

I have a basil plant and my bf keeps trying to kill it. HE WON'T LET IT HAVE ANY SUNSHINE!! Also I keep telling him it needs a bigger pot but he won't get one!! If he'd let me drive the damn car I'd get one myself but noooo.

BECAUSE!! I lied.

I have a basil plant and my bf keeps trying to kill it. HE WON'T LET IT HAVE ANY SUNSHINE!! Also I keep telling him it needs a bigger pot but he won't get one!! If he'd let me drive the damn car I'd get one myself but noooo.

I think this post belongs in the relationship section.

• 2 months later...

I'm doing a biggest loser contest with some of my team (25 women I think) and am thinking about going raw for it. Where do start? Are there any books on the subject you guys recommend? What is the difference between raw and high raw? Is frozen food considered raw?

I just need to figure out some simple recipes that don't require too much time in the kitchen or millions of ingredients.

Then you should check at the end of doug graham's book ''80/10/10 diet'', about 200 simple recipes with fruits and greens, some nuts. Fruit monomeals, or usually 2-5 ingredients, 5 minutes, and delicious... orange pistachio salad, tropical peach smoothie... or 2 ingrediets: blackberries on papaya, mangos with lime juice, or bananas with date sauce, kiwi cucumber soup, etc...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm doing a biggest loser contest with some of my team (25 women I think) and am thinking about going raw for it. Where do start? Are there any books on the subject you guys recommend? What is the difference between raw and high raw? Is frozen food considered raw?
You should win the contest if you do the raw diet; but low fat... so its low fat raw vegan diet. The best book on the subject is the one I mentioned in the other post above. A friend of mine that worked on a movie with Jason Statham told me he was eating nothing but raw vegetables, nothing else. And maybe no water, as for he wanted to be really cut for the film. He told me despite this extreme diet he looked massive, muscularly speaking of course.