Vegan in PA

j4779

Hi all! I'm Jeff and I would love to share body-building and vegan nutrition tips. I have been a vegan for almost 4 years and I was a vegetarian for a number of years before that. I am really into lifting weight and fitness- I started lifting 2 years ago, but I get seasonal depression during the winters and can't exercise, so basically I have to start over every spring. I'm moving south this year BEFORE winter so as to avoid hindering my progress this time.

I've got a pretty solid diet and exercise regiment, but I would love any tips that could speed up my progress. Currently, I only use creatine, but if anyone has any supplement suggestions that are NOT in pill form, I'd be interested. I've been trying to find out if N.O. Xplode is vegan, and if so, is it worth using?

Any one in the Southern PA area that would like to exercise with a partner, hit me up:)

Hi, MaryStella and tommybricks. It's good to know there are people not so far away with the same interests and habits. It's difficult enough just to find a vegan or vegetarian in my area, let alone one who is into fitness. In fact, I don't know any! It's kind of lonely, isn't it?

As for my progress, my pics would be too embarrassing right now compared to everyone else on the site who's pics I've seen. Although I've made great progress over the last 2.5 months, I still look pretty out of shape. My plan is to give it one more month before I post any pics- by then, I'm almost positive that I'll look presentable enough and maybe even good enough not to be embarrassed to post my "before" pics.

And thanks for the info on NO. I really prefer to do things the natural way, so I probably won't even bother with NO Xplode. I don't even really like taking creatine, but I definitely notice a difference, so I'll keep using it.

Welcome, Jeff!

Beta-alanine might be useful, I think I'll try it when I find a place where I can get it for small amount of money.

Creatine should be fine, and many people find it really useful. I use it once in a while... should be more consistent I guess.

Anyway, looking forward to see how your progress goes. Keep us updated!

Thanks, everyone! I can't believe that I hadn't found this site until now. I don't know about any of you, but most of the time I feel like I'm in the largest minority group that there is! Not to take away from the real plights of the real minorities, of course. But I personally don't know a single vegan or anyone who exercises regularly. Of course there are gyms around here and I'm sure people use them; I just don't know them. It's just that everyone I know just eats whatever, whenever and from wherever without a single concern. I haven't eaten out in over 3 years! Sometimes I feel like I'm "Crazy Pills"!

Anyway, I guess I'm saying that it is really nice to be able to converse with like-minded people because around here, it's pretty lonely to be a vegan in fitness training.

Looking forward to seeing your pics. Sorry you feel so isolated. Your not alone for sure you've got everyone on here. I actually know a decent amount of vegan/vegetarians in my area. There are a few veg groups up here. Not exactly sure where you are. I know other veg groups in surrounding areas. There might be one in your area.

tommybricks I am in bucks county sometimes. didn't realize you were down there. i will let you know next time I am going to be around there in case you want to meet up.

I actually know a decent amount of vegan/vegetarians in my area. There are a few veg groups up here. Not exactly sure where you are. I know other veg groups in surrounding areas. There might be one in your area.

Yeah, it seems like most vegans/vegetarians live in the larger city areas- whereas I live in a smaller town setting. All the restaurants and shops that cater to our lifestyle are found in the larger cities- maybe thats why?

Your profile says Plains, PA.; is that close to the Pocono's? If so, I took a trip there once and it was pretty nice. That's about 3 hours north of where I am in Hanover. What do you mean by "veg groups"? Do they actually get together or is it like an online thing?

I am about 40 minutes from the poconoes. I wouldn't say I live in a big city. But I lived in NYC for years so I guess it is all relative. The veg groups usually have events like potlucks or a meetup at a restaurant. It is a nice way to meet some other like minds. I used to go to these events as much as possibly but I haven't been to one in a really long time. They also setup tables at events like healthfairs etc. I found them either using meetup.com or seeing flyers posted around. I guess I am not really sure where hanover is to try to help you out. Some of the groups have websites and some don't. You could try searching on the internet and see if you find anything.

• 3 weeks later...