Strikeforce Events

decided to make a new thread to discuss Strikeforce events, like the one that happened last nite.

there was a HUGE upset in Brett Rogers defeating Andrei Arlovski. you may remember Brett Rogers as

when Elite was still on CBS. well now he just proved he could back that up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9d1KfX3nIs

also a good main event in Robbie Lawler vs Jake Shields. Shields usually fights at welterweight, moves up in weight to fight the the #4 ranked Middleweight "Ruthless" Robbie Lawler. it was a fight he was not expected to win. in this clip you can hear the announcers talking smack about Jake Shields and BJJ. then Shields sinks in a guillotine choke, haha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBZeBRcktVM

other results from last nite:

Nick Diaz defeats Scott Smith

Joe Riggs defeats Phil Baroni

Mike Whithead defeats Kevin Randleman

Mike Kyle defeats Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante

Strikeforce.com

and the next Strikeforce event will be Aug 15, and will be headlined by...

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/fighter/20081004054146_carano.JPGhttp://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/fighter/20081004053745_criscyborg.JPG

Gina "Conviction" Carano vs Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos

"The fight between Carano and Santos will be the first time a women's MMA fight has been featured as a main event on a highly publicized broadcast such as Showtime, and will be the most anticipated fight in women's MMA history".

man, i wish i had the Showtime channel.

That was a pretty good show. Enjoyed watching Diaz pick apart Scott Smith. I actually felt kind of bad for Smith. Brett Rogers was impressive too. I guess everyone knows about Arlovski's chin now. He looked gutted after that KO. Felt bad for him too. Joe Riggs actually looked awesome against Baroni, had the better stand up and out-wrestled him.

Strikeforce announcing is pretty lame though. Looking forward to Carano-Santos! So much hype for that fight, they better go 5 minute rounds!

just heard this. not only is the Carano vs Santos fight being the first time a women's MMA fight will be the main event, it will also be for the first woman's title. they set the weight at 145lbs. good idea, since both have had trouble cutting to the previous 140lb limit.

glad these two have a headlining spot. the certainly deserve it.

next question... who gets first shot at who ever wins the title? Tara Larosa?

• 4 weeks later...

This promises to be a great fight! i am supporting Gina all the way,she has the skills for sure but i think Cyborg willbe a real handfull with her aggressive style.

tactics vs aggression in a fight between two muay thai stylists? gonna be a tough fight for gina.

shame i cant watch it.

• 3 weeks later...
Cyborg all the way! Gina is getting KO'ed in this one. Mark my words.

you are probably right. For the life of me I cant understand why they are letting a guy fight a girl.

ouch! now that's just mean. i feel bad for laughing at that

Yeah you are right. I had just come from looking at too many Youtube comments. Man they are nasty and funny at the same time.

out of the demise of Affliction, at least one fight has been salvaged so far.

Sobral vs Mousasi will still happen!

"Strikeforce on Monday announced that the bout between Renato “Babalu” Sobral (35-8) and Gegard Mousasi (25-2-1) will now take place at “Carano vs. Cyborg” on Aug. 15 in San Jose, Calif."

"the fight will now be a contest for the Strikeforce light heavyweight championship belt currently held by Babalu Sobral"

i really have to find someone who has showtime.

and probably after one more fight, couture. Well I exaggerate to make a point. Now randy can pick up the Fedor bus here in the states, rather then europe. The only two fights that I would like to see concerning Fedor would be Brock and/or Couture. The reason is because niether to my knowledge has fought Fedor. Brock for obvious reasons, Couture I dont know why. If Dana let Chuck fight Rampage back then in Pride then why didnt Randy get a chance with Fedor? Did he not have to same confidence in Randy that he had in Chuck?

I feel like i should care,but i honestly am not that interested anymore what Fedor does or does not do.Great guy,great fighter but i just cant get excited about this!

Strikeforce has some great fighters,the rest of the best are in the UFC,I think until he fights in the UFC i aint really fussed what he does to some extent I miss the pride days when he was getting good fights,i dont think there are enough decent opponents for him in strike force,that said,maybe there just are not enough decent opponents for him at all these days!

I am really excited about the Carano vs cyborg fight.This is where strikeforce is leading the way somewhat,two world class women fighters in a headline world championship bout,something fans have wanted to see for some time.

f**king bummed i cant get to see it... two great muay thai fighters with great mma skills..should be an exciting fight.My heart is with gina,hope she wins as this title belt may shut up some the haters out there who still refuse to give her the rspect she is deserving of.

Strikeforce has some great fighters,the rest of the best are in the UFC,I think until he fights in the UFC i aint really fussed what he does to some extent I miss the pride days when he was getting good fights,i dont think there are enough decent opponents for him in strike force,that said,maybe there just are not enough decent opponents for him at all these days!

haha, yeah i think that last sentence is the most accurate. regardless of where he fights, there aren't many people who will give Fedor problems.

i just found a place where we can watch the Carano vs Cyborg fight, so i'm pretty excited about it. i was sold on women's MMA since the first fight i saw, they deserve a lot of respect. also interested to see Babalu vs Mousasi

and i just heard that Nick Diaz, who was scheduled to fight that night also, will NOT be fighting. seems he was denied by the California State Athletic Commission, because he never showed up for the pre-fight drug test. no show = no fight. so instead they're putting in Jesse Taylor to fight Jay Heiron.

the real question is: why did Nick Diaz not show up and provide samples for the drug test.... was he worried they'd find steroids... or some of that Mary Jane he got busted with last time?

EDIT FOR UPDATE:

i posted that last sentence as a joke, but looks like it was right on.

check out the headline at MMAWeekly.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/onedeterminedflash/MMA/NickDiazUpInSmoke.jpg

from Diaz's manager:

"The old guys were doing things based off of California law, and I knew California law didn’t change. He’s licensed... it’s legal. They’re own legal team came out with a ruling that said (compassionate use was allowed). Then all of a sudden they’re saying we’re doing drug tests, and cannabis is included, it’s not just performance enhancers. To flush it out of his system, it takes 10 days, and we don’t have that.”

haha, yeah i think that last sentence is the most accurate. regardless of where he fights, there aren't many people who will give Fedor problems.

i just found a place where we can watch the Carano vs Cyborg fight, so i'm pretty excited about it. i was sold on women's MMA since the first fight i saw, they deserve a lot of respect. also interested to see Babalu vs Mousasi

and i just heard that Nick Diaz, who was scheduled to fight that night also, will NOT be fighting. seems he was denied by the California State Athletic Commission, because he never showed up for the pre-fight drug test. no show = no fight. so instead they're putting in Jesse Taylor to fight Jay Heiron.

the real question is: why did Nick Diaz not show up and provide samples for the drug test.... was he worried they'd find steroids... or some of that Mary Jane he got busted with last time?

EDIT FOR UPDATE:

i posted that last sentence as a joke, but looks like it was right on.

check out the headline at MMAWeekly.com

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/onedeterminedflash/MMA/NickDiazUpInSmoke.jpg

from Diaz's manager:

"The old guys were doing things based off of California law, and I knew California law didn’t change. He’s licensed... it’s legal. They’re own legal team came out with a ruling that said (compassionate use was allowed). Then all of a sudden they’re saying we’re doing drug tests, and cannabis is included, it’s not just performance enhancers. To flush it out of his system, it takes 10 days, and we don’t have that.”

Well that explains why he is always mumbling in post fight interviews. In any case , what does he have that allows him to take the stuff in California, and still be fit enough to fight in a ring or cage at anytime?

you know, Diaz had previously come out positive for marijuana after he defeated Takanori Gomi. i think it's crazy how his solution was to get a medical clearance for marijuana. it's like the thought of smoking less or not at all was not even an option. or maybe i'm wrong, maybe he has a legitamate medical condition and the best treatment is cannabis, who knows. but i've heard different reasons. one source sad it was ADD, and another source said it was for anxiety attacks. so i'm just not buying it right now. NOT that i think less of anybody for smoking out. i'm just saying if interferes with his fighting career, he needs to figure out which is more important to him. after all, it cost him a shot at the title. but anyways...

everyone made weight. anybody watching this tonight?

http://www.sherdog.com/thumbnail_crop.php?image=http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/pictures/20090814052609_03carano.JPG&width_size=600

Gina Carano vs. Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos

Renato “Babalu” Sobral vs. Gegard Mousasi

Fabricio Werdum vs. Mike Kyle

Gilbert Melendez vs. Mitsuhiro Ishida

I got to watch the Carano/cyborg fight the day after.

Man that was a great fight,i thought all along that Cyborg may just be too aggressive for Gina ,she really outclassed her.

awesome fight all the same.

It will be interesting to see her response if they meet up in the future. I think that they are the two top women, so I would think that they would meet up again. I think that Cyborg was more determined then Gina. As you say more aggressive. I think that Gina needed a wake up call to get both feet into the fghting world and not have one in hollywood and one in the cage.

the women's fight was probably the most exciting and fast paced of the night. they just slugged it out the whole round. gina did show some ring rust after being inactive for so long. something told me that the pressure Santos would pour on would be too much for Gina. but good fight for both women, and props to them for brining women's MMA into the mainstream and headlining an event.

Gegard Mousasi impressed me. i had heard of him, but never seem him fight. his demeanor in the cage reminded me a lot of the Emilianenko brothers (and i hear he does train with Red Devil). i knew Babalu was in trouble when i saw how calm Mousasi was. almost looked bored, like he didn't wanna be there. he had this "whatever" look on his face. but he went in and finished the fight in 60 secs. i wonder who his first title defense will be against.

Gegard Mousasi vs Babalu was awesome.

Gegard really was so chilled like you say,never seen him fight and i did not expect anyone to deal with babalu so easily!

Carano is indeed one of the top women fighters in the world,i suspect that Cyborg trained harder and wanted this more to beat all the hype about Gina being number one. I would guess Gina will get back to training and will need to train harder,have more fights and maybe more explosive strength for when she has a rematch with cyborg.Great fight that hopefully has shut up some of the sexist attitudes in MMA promotion..

the women's fight was probably the most exciting and fast paced of the night. they just slugged it out the whole round. gina did show some ring rust after being inactive for so long. something told me that the pressure Santos would pour on would be too much for Gina. but good fight for both women, and props to them for brining women's MMA into the mainstream and headlining an event.

Another disagreement for us, because I thought that was a terrible advert for women's MMA. Carano was flat out shocking. It gives me no pleasure to say that as one of my good friend's girlfriend has lost to Carano and I know how solid a fighter she is (my friend's girl that is). But that fight was ropey anyway, Carano missed weight by miles, refused to cut anymore and this was with her opponent coming up in weight for the fight Ah well, nothing new for Carano there...

From the off Carano wasn't in the stand up. Looked like she'd never had a punch travel in her direction before. Then inexplicably Santos took her down. Well I say took her down, more placed her on top in full mount. Then Carano decided mount wasn't such a great place, she'd be better stood up where she had a clear disadvantage. Carano nearly giving up the heel hook was pretty poor too. Three minutes in both fighters were gassed, this was a 5x5 title fight. I'll admit it was a fast paced fight, but to be gassed out in the first is unacceptable to me.