Chewy's Strength Log

Workout #86

Fri 15th January 2010

Squats 3x5@90kg

Overhead Press 5/5/5/5/[email protected]

Deadlift 5@75kg/95kg, 1@110kg, 1x5@120kg

Pull-ups 3x3

Prone Bridge 60s/45s/45s

There's nothing worse than missing a target by 1 rep (OHP). Anyway, Squats were good - just 2.5kg away from matching my PB. New 5 rep max on deadlifts, still using double overhand. Didn't reset until the last rep, which I took about 10-15s rest before.

As you may have noticed I'm gonna stop logging warmup sets, no point (except deadlifts)

Good day

Grub

-Buckwheat pancake (+agave syrup) + soy milk

-Thrive Chocolate Blueberry Energy Bar (inc. pea protein - instead of hemp)

-Recovery drink (inc. 1 scoop sunwarrior)

-Salad (+ 2 carrots/omega oils/pine nuts/sesame seeds/nutrional yeast/cider vinegar)

-Quinoa + sweetcorn + tomatoes + sunflower seeds + tofu

-Thrive Spicy Black-Eyed Pea Quinoa Pizza Crust + tofu/onion/sweetcorn/pea (I used curry powder instead of chilli flakes)

-Vega WFO Berry + water

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I live we mostly have curly kale as well. I haven't had a problem like that though. I think your idea of trying out a little bit and building up is probably a good one. Do you have a similar problem from other greens?

To be honest I don't eat that many greens, that's why I'm working them in. I used to have spring greens and kale but always boiled them and they were fine. Think I'll start adding kale to my salad bit at a time. It'll be easy cause I always chop my salad up in the food processor so I can eat more (quicker, compresses it more).

I agree on the sun warrior. I don't like it nearly as much as the vega. I use it occasionally but vega I have everyday. The natural flavor isn't bad.

Nice job on the burpees. they are tough!

Other things you can easily do for cardio are

do as many rounds as possible of

10 pushups

10 situps

10 squats

10 dips

u can sub anything in like pullups lunges etc.

It is fun stuff!

Sat 16th January 2010

Grub

-Soy milk (inc. 1 scoop sunwarrior)

-Porage (+agave syrup), banana + soy milk

-Salad (+pine nuts/sesame seeds/nutrional yeast/cider vinegar)

-Vega WFO Berry + water

-Chickpeas + tomatoes + chilli powder on brown rice

-Thrive Chocolate Blueberry Energy Bar (inc. pea protein - instead of hemp)

-Thrive Lemon Rooibos Crackers (sunflower seeds instead of pecans)

I really overlooked the crackers recipes in thrive before, because they're mostly just nuts/seeds (therefore high protein) with other nutritious ingredients for flavoring. I made an arse out of them today though and they didn't really stick together so I ended up with a kinda roasted nut crumble which was delicous =] Brendan says he makes a month's supply at a time. This would appeal to me. I should do this, and with the energy bars too. Takes care of another meal

Last week at work I was talking about nutrition (food convo always comes up when I eat in the canteen) to this guy who always has to be right - will argue with everything you say just for the sake of it. The point I was making was simple. If you have good nutrition all your life you'll end up feeling better all the time, reduce the amount you get ill, and increase your life expectancy - compared to if you spend your life eating refined/junk food like he does. And of course he comes out with "i feel fine all the time, always got lots of energy and i never get ill."

So this morning he comes in like mehhhh. "What's wrong?" "Just feel ill" "I thought you didn't get ill?"

Was sooo funny, just a week after we were talking about it. Dick. haha

Work took a turn for the worst towards the end of the day, basically I got blamed for something that wasn't my fault. And the person who gave me into bother didn't seem to have a problem with that, didn't even get an apology. So tomorrow's gonna be fun

Aaanyway food. I need to get a wider variety of veg ordered and some proper greens this week. And I need to start making proper smoothie's again. Not just the OJ/blueberry/banana combo that I was getting REALLY lazy with. Looking forward to upping my nutrition

Thanks marystella =] Yeah it'd be handy to know, because if I can find out a way to make the maximum amount of stuff in batch, it'll be no bother to stick to thrive....it'll actually be better since it's less preparation if you just give up say an afternoon one day.

Sun 17th January 2010

Grub

-Thrive Buckwheat Pancake (+agave syrup) + soy milk

-Thrive Chocolate Blueberry Energy Bar

-Vega WFO Berry + water

-Salad (+pine nuts/sesame seeds/nutrional yeast/cider vinegar)

-Soy milk

-Thrive Chocolate Almond Smoothie (inc. 1 scoop sunwarrior)

-Thrive Lemon Rooibos Crackers

Well, after months of being lazy and just having oj/blueberry/banana protein smoothies, the chocolate almond smoothie was SO filling. It took me ages to get through. You know, apart from the added soy milk it was a complete thrive day today. Well, except the salad...which is actually based off a thrive recipe but has literally about half the ingredients missing...and doesn't use good salad leaf haha.

Week 33

Bodyweight=152lbs

Workout #87

Mon 18th January 2010

Squats [email protected]

Bench Press 3/2/2/1/1@55kg

Reverse Crunch 3x12 (1.5kg counterweight)

After lifting something at work yesterday my left upper arm/shoulder felt kinda funny. When I was getting the bar on my back for the last couple sets of Squats I got the same. Was aware of it during bench press but didn't affect my strength (weight was just heavy, muscles will be tired from getting the 52.5kg last time). Tried a few hang cleans and got worse so didn't want to go on with it. So done some crunches and finished up early. Weird thing is I can't really tell where it is cause it's not been sore since workout.

Anyway, kept solid form today with Squats. Resisted the urge to lean forward into my knees. There were a couple of reps where the weight started to shift forward but corrected it quickly. So I'm happy, but it was damn heavy!

Bodyweight's getting low now. Will start eating more soon.

you did the right thing cleans are tough on the shoulder which is why i had to take such a long break from them. also loaded external rotation (like back squats ) is hard on them too if there is something wrong with your shoulder. If it continues I would do some front squats. they also help you to keep your weight from leaning forward.

Mon 18th January 2010

Grub

-Thrive Buckwheat pancake (+agave syrup) + soy milk

-Thrive Lemon Lime Recovery drink (inc. 1 scoop sunwarrior)

-Lettuce + sesame seeds + nutrional yeast + cider vinegar + omega oils

-Thrive Chocolate Almond Smoothie (inc. 1 scoop Vega WFO Berry)

-Quinoa + kidney beans + nutrional yeast

-Strawberry soy milk

Tue 19th January 2010

Grub

-Thrive Buckwheat pancake (+agave syrup) + soy milk

-Thrive Tropical Pineapple Mango Smoothie (inc. 1 scoop sunwarrior)

-Salad + Kale (+carrot/omega oils/sesame seeds/nutrional yeast/pine nuts/sunflower seeds/cider vinegar)

-Thrive Spicy Black-Eyed Pea Quinoa Pizza Crust (+red pepper/onion/broccoli)

-"Haggis" fritters + mushy peas + chips (+cola)

-Vega WFO Berry + water

Went to see Thrice tonight so went out for dinner beforehand. You know even though it was unhealthy I thought I'd still enjoy the taste but it was fairly shit. Should've just took an extra energy bar lol. The pineapple smoothie was truely huge and amazing. Kicks the chocolate almond smoothies butt.

Edited by chewybaws

Workout #88

Wed 20th January 2010

Squats 3x5@80kg (light day)

Overhead Press [email protected]

Deadlift 1x5@75kg/95kg, 1@110kg, [email protected]

Chin-ups 8/5/3

Prone bridge 60s/30s/30s

I was being careful getting the bar onto my back during Squats. Felt a wee bit sore but nothing serious. Apart from that they were so easy lol.

Overhead press my technique was absolutely horrible in places but I felt fine with the weight.

Deadlift was good, again only reset the bar for the last rep, took about 30s rest. Last rep was pretty bad form but I kept a straight back..what happened was one side came up a lot quicker and the bar almost swung a wee bit (must've not setup right). But I kept everything solid and nothing hurt after the lift.

I did notice some discomfort in my elbow and shoulder but not much compared to monday.

Hey Chewy! What is the nutrional yeast for?

As rob says, good for B vitamins, it's also high in protein. A 30g serving gives you 13.5g of protein. I like the flavour too, but that has nothing to do with what I eat haha.

Hey Chewy, question: What do you mean by Inverted Rows? Is that bent over with dumbell/barbell? Or something else entirely?

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-do-inverted-rows/

There's a video on that page. I like them but they started getting too easy so been trying to swap them over to power cleans. It can be kinda hard to make inverted rows harder or add weight. I need to learn to power clean anyway.

Wed 20th January 2010

Grub

-Thrive Buckwheat Pancake (+agave syrup) + soy milk

-Thrive Lemon Lime Recovery drink (inc. 1 scoop sunwarrior)

-Beetroot Salad + kale (+omega oils/sesame seeds/nutrional yeast/pine nuts/cider vinegar)

-Thrive Spicy Black-Eyed Pea Quinoa Pizza Crust (+red pepper/onion/broccoli)

-Thrive Tropical Pineapple Mango Smoothie (inc. 1 scoop Vega WFO Berry)

You should get a commission....all of your Thrive food is making me want to go out and get my own copy of the book (I've borrowed it from the library a couple of times, don't have my own copy though).

I'm trying out a few different recipes just now. Some good, some bad.

I done some power clean practice today, went from 20kg -> 35kg and done a couple of sets of 5. I really dunno about these. I have exactly the same discomfort in my left elbow up again. I dunno if I'm better leaving these till I can get someone to teach me. I done some calf raises at the end.

You should get a commission....all of your Thrive food is making me want to go out and get my own copy of the book (I've borrowed it from the library a couple of times, don't have my own copy though).

I received my copy from Amazon today thanks to Chewy's advertising

chewy does anything else bother u with the cleans? shoulder? wrist? The elbow pain could be from tight wrist in the clean grip or from a shoulder issue. your basic moves in the clean are a deadlift to a jump with a shoulder shrug to get momentum on the bar then you want to get your elbow through and under the bar for the power clean. or drop under the bar into a squat with your elbows through for a regular clean.

I think you might not be pulling the bar straight up. You might be reverse curling it a bit away from your body. You want the bar to travel in a straight line as close to your body as possible.

I received my copy from Amazon today thanks to Chewy's advertising

-Thrive Buckwheat Pancake

Buckwheat Pancakes are the best.

Going to make some right now, Thanks to Chewybaws.

Hahaha you guys are too funny i lol'd a lot

chewy does anything else bother u with the cleans? shoulder? wrist? The elbow pain could be from tight wrist in the clean grip or from a shoulder issue. your basic moves in the clean are a deadlift to a jump with a shoulder shrug to get momentum on the bar then you want to get your elbow through and under the bar for the power clean. or drop under the bar into a squat with your elbows through for a regular clean.

I think you might not be pulling the bar straight up. You might be reverse curling it a bit away from your body. You want the bar to travel in a straight line as close to your body as possible.

I have no idea. I could take a vid with my camera but I'm kinda scared to do them again cause it hurt more after today than it did last time. I'm gonna give it a rest for a week or 2 then try taking vids with an empty bar just to be on the safe side.

The problem I'm having is the first ever day I tried them I was following the starting strength DVD, so I done it in stages. Going from dropping the bar from rack position. Then hang cleans, then the full thing. But I could've been doing anything by the end. That's one disadvantage of working out yourself.

EDIT: completely forgot to answer the question. No, it's just from my elbow up. And the weird thing is an hour after I don't get any pain.

Thu 21st January 2010

Grub

-Thrive Spicy Cocoa Pancakes (+agave syrup) + soy milk

-Thrive Mango Lime Hot Pepper Smoothie (inc. 1 scoop sunwarrior)

-Spinach + kale + cabbage (+omega oils/sesame seeds/nutrional yeast/pine nuts/cider vinegar)

-Thrive Chickpea Curry Pizza Crust (uncooked) + broccoli

-Vega WFO Berry + soy milk

Few things to point out. I didn't have cayenne peppers so the pancakes weren't spicy. I used a red pepper instead of jalapeno in the smoothie so it wasn't hot. The pizza crust wasn't a pizza crust at all, it was the ingredients mixed together in a pan and heated slightly till the coconut oil melted. This actually still tasted really good, saved a lot of time, and is probably nutrionally better than cooking it anyway. That may be a quick trick for me.

I haven't made any salad dressings or sauces since I've got back into Thrive. To be honest I hate cleaning the blender and storage tub after making these. And most of them complement meals that you've already spent time making the main bulk of it. So you'll only be seeing these when I have a lot of spare time and will.