Chewy's Strength Log

My legs had 2 weeks to heal up, and as soon as I'd finished the first warmup set there was blood. I need to order deadlift socks or do something.

I was minced after deadlifts, pull-ups suffered.

Nah, those deadlift scrapes are a badge of honor! I think I have permanent scars on my shins.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I don't think my scars are going away anytime soon!

Thanks Mary, yesterday (wednesday) I managed to eat more like normal. It always seems to be after the rice meal that things go wrong. The only common ingredients I've used everytime are the rice and tofu. Maybe a bad pack of rice or batch of tofu. It's always like 2 or 3 hours later it still feels like it's just sitting there.

Workout 23/30

Wed 14th April 2010

Overhead Press [email protected] (and an extra rep on the last set)

Deadlift 3x3@115kg

Pull-ups 11/5/5 (then 10 negatives)

Then I done some calf raises (one legged, +20kg, 3 sets to failure) and a few sets of push-ups to failure.

Today was pretty good. OHP felt more solid even managed an extra rep (but then again, I can't really say I'm happy with this since I first got this weight about half a year ago probably). Deadlift, I've had harder warmup sets than that. It's weird, since I've started wearing the socks I think my form has changed a bit for the better. I'm following the rippetoe setup video pretty exact now. Also not scraping the bar up my leg but it feels stronger so not a problem.

Grub Calories: 3840kcal, Protein: 201.5g

Thanks lobster =]

The problem seems to be solved now, even though I was eating the same rice and still eating tofu. I reckon after I was sick it took my stomach quite a few days to recover properly and trying to cram my usual amount of food in wouldn't have been helping.

The weird thing is with deadlifts is that although I didn't wanna keep ripping shins open every week, I was still consciously scraping the bar up them because that's what I was used to, form-wise. Now the bar starts at my shin obviously but doesn't touch them again on the way up - I think my start position is slightly different now. I make sure I have an equal stance, bar half way over my foot. Take my grip both sides at the same time without breaking at the hips (with bent back), lower my knees till my shins touch the bar (this is the big difference - before I think I squatted down further and pushed the bar forward a bit. Now I stop as soon as I make contact), chest/head up and tighten lower back, then pull-up/drive heels down.

My deadlifts have been feeling real easy so I'm just gonna keep things the way they are

Thu 15th April 2010

Cardio

10km on stationary bike in 24:40, resistance 3/8

This was really sluggish, nearly stopped a couple of times but just pressed on.

Grub Calories: 3815kcal, Protein: 220g

Workout 24/30

Fri 16th April 2010

Squats [email protected], 2/1@100kg

Bench Press 3x3@60kg

Barbell Rows 3/3/[email protected]

Turkish get-ups [email protected], 2x3(right hand)/5(left hand)@10kg, 2(each hand)@12.5kg

Between the rows/get-ups I done 3 sets of 14kg DB flys to failure, and I done 3 sets of reverse crunches to failure at the end.

Okay first up, there's something funny going on with my squats this week. My leg has felt a bit weird today. Everything feels heavier than it should. The 1st set @100kg I did attempt the 3rd rep, I think something managed to hit the safety bars on the way down and it just completely threw me off. It's weird though, if you watch any of my previous videos the barbell's never anywhere near the safety bars.

Bench/barbell rows were fine. Get-ups I got interupted during the first set @10kg, that's why I done 2x3 instead of 1x5 on the right hand. I'm struggling with 12.5kg, next time I do these I may try 11kg instead, microload it.

I really don't know what I'm gonna do on Monday. That's the squats fucked up. Get-ups I'm doing my own thing, same with dips kinda cause I've been doing sets of 5. Overhead press I'm doing my own thing cause I was working on form. And pull-ups I've been doing my own thing. The only exercises I'm still following properly in this programme is bench, rows and deadlifts. And even at that, one of my bench days is way off (monday), and the rows and deadlifts aren't difficult enough to be effective. I don't even know if it's worth sticking it out, could be a waste of 2 weeks.

With squats I might deload (weight) and go back to 3x5 or 5x5 - i felt like I was getting a much harder workout than with 3x3.

Grub Calories: 3778kcal, Protein: 209.9g

I'm glad your poor shins are doing better! I wear pants when I work out and fortunately have only lightly bruised them - no bleeding yet! It's interesting to me that this program isn't working for you, while 5x5 was. Makes me wonder what I'm going to move to next! I still have a ways to go with this one, fortunately...

Sat 17th April 2010 3664kcal, 205g protein

Sun 18th April 2010 3581kcal, 250g protein

Mon 19th April 2010 4094kcal, 240g protein

I had an interview for college today which involved a simple fitness test - how many push-ups you can do in a minute, same for situps, a simple flexibility test, and what distance you could cover on 12 mins on the treadmill. I never run because I always get injured, and on top of that I was my first time on a treadmill. Anyway, I done quite well but it is Thursday and my legs are still in bad shape. Didn't have time for muscle workout.

Okay so I've started the Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 now. Follow the link if you want to know how it works. The weight you use for the main lifts (press/deads/bench/squats) is based on your 1RMs. You do each lift once a week (so 4 workouts per week, with assistance exercises each day - I'll be doing these for 4 sets, rep range between 8-16 for first set). Each cycle lasts 4 weeks. Week 1 is 3x5, week 2 is 3x3, week 3 is 5/3/1 and week 4 is deload. I'll be experimenting with what assistance lifts I'm doing, and what bodyparts I'm doing each day so you'll see a lot of changes in assistance exercises. I'm sticking EXACTLY to the programme this time, too much deviating in the past. You get the option to go to failure on the last set of the main lift. This in conjuction with doing what you want for assistance will mean I can get a good workout all the time even on light days.

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 (Cycle 1)

1RMs - Press=45kg (assumed), Deadlift=125kg (actual), Bench Press=65kg (actual), Squat=115kg (assumed)

Week 1

Bodyweight=153.4lbs

Press day

Tue 20th April 2010 3974kcal, 224g protein

Overhead Press - [email protected], 5@35kg, [email protected]

DB press (seated) - 10/8/8/[email protected] DBs

Upright rows - 9/8/7/5@25kg

Side lateral raises - 10/10/10/13@4kg

DB curls - 10/10/8/[email protected]

Deadlift day

Wed 21st April 2010 4362kcal, 255g protein

Deadlifts - [email protected], 5@95kg, [email protected]

Pull-ups - 6/3/3/3

Barbell rows - 8/5/6/[email protected]

DB bench rows (lats) - 12/10/10/9@9kg

Hanging knee raises - 10/6

Few sets of reverse crunches

I had a lot of fun with these workouts but there's exercises that need moved and some that need changed for something else. I'm gonna move lats to shoulder day so that my pull-ups don't suffer form tired biceps. So on press day next week I'm gonna do DB press, side laterals, pull-ups, barbell rows for lats (didn't like the bench DB rows) and curls. Then on deadlift day I'll add good mornings and I want to give weighted situps a go in place of the ab exercises (and still do barbell rows this day). And prob add prone bridges back in again.

Upright rows are getting dropped cause I don't need an exercise for traps in there. Taking a day off today (thursday) and will do chest tomorrow. Hopefully my legs will have healed up for squatting on saturday.

Oh and prob the most important thing this week, I've set myself a minimum 4000kcal daily. It looks like I just missed it on tuesday but i'm not gonna beat myself up over 25kcal.

I hope the new program works for you.

What kind of college program are you applying for that you had to do a fitness test?

Fitness and health! I'm finally doing something with my life lol. The interview was quite funny, there was 6 of us in for the fitness test at the same time. It was funny watching some of the others doing "push-ups". I've never seen such a pathetic ROM (quarter reps if you're lucky. Nowhere near the ground and nowhere near locking out). Plus I got the 2nd best distance on the treadmill. If I was more confident on it and with the controls I would've done MUCH better. I was out of breath at the end but barely sweating.

I'm enjoying the program so far. After I find the right assistance exercises/routine I'm expecting good gains now that I've upped the food intake. Hoping to start adding mass steadily. I've been pushing myself more when going to failure but I need to learn to really kill my muscles since I'm kinda only doing each muscle group weekly.

Bench day

Fri 23rd April 2010

Bench Press - [email protected], 5@50kg, 8@55kg

DB Flat Bench - 10/10/10/[email protected] DBs

Weighted dips - 6/2@15kg, 7/(forgot to write down last set)@10kg

DB flys - 10/10/10/[email protected] DBs

Skull crushers - 10/4/4/4@15kg

Forgot how tired my muscles would be before I started dips, will start with a lesser weight next time, either that or move them before DB bench. Skull crushers when I actually remembered to keep my elbows in I tweaked my elbow a bit (the one i broke when I was 9) so I stopped and will be finding another triceps exercise for next time.

Squat day

Sat 24th April 2010

Squats - 5@75kg, [email protected], [email protected]

Lunges - 4x10 (each leg)@35kg

Single leg Calf raises - 17/15/11/12@20kg

Few things about today - I was disapointed that I couldn't manage a 6th rep @97.5kg squats, I did attempt it but turned to jelly and had to use the safety bars (think I'll be doing this every week so I'm going to full failure - I'm doing the same for bench too). After lunges I did try doing ham curls holding the DB between my feet but I don't have the luxury of being able to drop the weight so I can't do these again. Might try romanian deadlifts next time.

Overall I'm pretty happy with that first week, muscles have been sore since I started. Workouts have been shorter but more intense. I'm gonna stop logging food on here just now. I've been solid with my calorie intake being around 4000-4300 (usually nearer the lower limit), I'll write on here if things change, or if I have a day out of the ordinary.

Week 2

Bodyweight=154.2lbs

Press day

Tue 27th April 2010

Overhead Press - [email protected], [email protected], 6@40kg

DB Press (seated) - 10/10/9/[email protected]

Side Lateral Raises - 10/10/10/12@5kg

Pull-ups - 12/4/4/2

Bent Over Rows (lats) - 10/10/10/11@25kg

Concentration curls - 10@9kg, 10/5/3 (right hand) and 10/4/2 (left hand) @11.5kg

So yeah, pull-ups worked a lot better on press day. Wasn't taking much rest between sets. For the curls after I burned out I done assisted reps (helped up with the other arm). Ended with 10 negative chins. My legs were so sore the 2 days after the last leg workout, was great.

I've got my mate started on stronglifts, he's not vegan but it's been cool helping him out with his workouts/diet. He's been doing his workouts in here and I've been kinda 'coaching' him on his lifts. I no I'm no expert but I can help him avoid all the mistakes I made. And there were A LOT!

It's been good eating more again, already put on a bit of weight as you can see. I took some progress pics today but been no significant difference since the last pictures and the lighting ain't great so dunno if I'll post them. I'm hoping to make good gains with the increased calories/new workout plan. I have been a little more tired this week but it'll just be the extra stress from more intense workouts/more food to digest.

Edited by chewybaws

Nice job! I hope you're having fun, and this program works out better for you.
I'm really enjoying the workouts. Sometimes after the last set of the main lift I feel like doing another couple of sets at the same weight though. But I'm gonna stick it out the way it is.

I forgot to mention I made cereal out the thrive book today, had it with soy milk and it tasted alright. There was way too much omega oils in it though (1/3 cup for full recipe = 4 servings), expensive and unnecessary calories. So next time I'll be only using half the amount. It'll still be 762 calories and 25.7g protein vs 388kcal 14.6g for the pancakes. Quicker to eat than pancakes/soy milk but I'll mix them up for what I have for breakfast.

Nice job! I hope you're having fun, and this program works out better for you.
I'm really enjoying the workouts. Sometimes after the last set of the main lift I feel like doing another couple of sets at the same weight though. But I'm gonna stick it out the way it is.

I forgot to mention I made cereal out the thrive book today, had it with soy milk and it tasted alright. There was way too much omega oils in it though (1/3 cup for full recipe = 4 servings), expensive and unnecessary calories. So next time I'll be only using half the amount. It'll still be 762 calories and 25.7g protein vs 388kcal 14.6g for the pancakes. Quicker to eat than pancakes/soy milk but I'll mix them up for what I have for breakfast.

I always feel like I have more strength left for a few more sets with the heaviest weight, but well, I've been making such good progress with the program as is since December that I figured I should keep doing what I'm doing, too.

Deadlift day

Wed 28th April 2010

Deadlifts - [email protected], 3@100kg, [email protected]

Barbell rows - 10/4/6/[email protected] (bit of hip engagement in the last couple of reps but i'll take it lol)

Good mornings - 4x10@45kg

Weighted sit ups - 4x10@15kg (hugging the plate into my chest)

Reverse Crunch - 7/8/9/9 (5kg counterweight)

Prone bridge - 35s/60s/1m 20s

I just didn't have a lot of energy today. Some exercises I actually got more reps towards the end, was prob down to rest time between sets - need to keep an eye on that. Started off light on good mornings to get used to the exercise, the idea was the same for weighted sit-ups but the last rep was pretty tough. First time doing prone bridges in a while, oh how I hate them. Needless to say I need to keep doing them for that very reason.

Lats are sore today, loving it!

Edited by chewybaws

Bench day

Fri 30th April 2010

Bench press - 3@45kg, [email protected], 6@60kg

Dips -10/9/5/5@15kg

DB Bench - 10/7/10/5(elbow tweaked)@16.5kg DBs

Remember last week I said by elbow tweaked when I tried skull crushers, well this morning when I woke up it felt a bit funny. During the last set of DB bench I stopped as soon as it tweaked again - wasn't taking any chances. All the chest/tricep exercises I do are all kinda hard on the elbow so had to cut workout short. Looking back I should've got some cardio in or something. Was planning to do flys and push-ups.

I think the only reason it happened during DB bench was because it was still weak from last week, I don't think this exercise would've done it itself.

I guess I'm happy with the dips and last set of bench (last rep was hard, I attempted the 7th rep but can't say I got it 2cm back off my chest lol), but I still get so tempted to do another couple of sets.

On a good note since about half hour after my workout my elbow's felt fine. Legs tomorrow then rest day or 2, hopefully will be healed for after that.

Squat day

Sat 1st April 2010

Squats - 3@80kg, [email protected], 3@105kg

Lunges - 4x10@40kg

(Single legged) Calf raises - 17/15/14/15@20kg

Bit disapointed with my squats. When I attempted the 4th rep @105kg I didn't even try to push out the bottom, pussied out so much. I've went soft with these and I'm concerned about only doing them once a week. It was only a few months back that I could squat 3x5 at that weight.

Lunges were killer again, they get real hard towards the end. Gonna keep moving up in 5kg increments each week for as long as I can. Will up the weight on calf raises next time, reps are a bit high for my liking.

My friend's really been enjoying stronglifts, and I'm having a good time kinda coaching him through it. The sets to failure he's really pushing it, and he reaches a level of intensity that I've kinda lost over time. I dunno if after my initial results I just lost some drive or what, but I really need to think about what I'm aiming to do, something more specific than looking like I'm in good shape.

Food intake has still been good, couple of days I've been just under 4000kcal but with cooking oil and shit like that it's prob been over anyway.

Week 3

Bodyweight=154.6lbs

Press day

Mon 3rd May 2010

Overhead Press - 5@35kg, 3@40kg, [email protected]

Seated DB Press - 10/9/7/[email protected] DBs

Side lateral raises - 10/9/7/[email protected] DBs

Weighted chin-ups - 9/4/4/3@5kg

Bent over rows (for lats) - 10/10/8/[email protected]

Concentration curls - 10/8/4 (left hand), 10/8/6 (right hand) @11.5kg DBs (made each set up to 10 with assisted reps)

finished with 10 chin negatives - my forearms died at the end

Had a fun workout. I decided to do weighted chins instead of pull-ups just to mix things up a bit, might do these every second time. Later in the week I'll prob do some pull-ups outside of workout. I still wanna hit 15 (wide, full) reps in the first set before I start doing them weighted.

I missed a rest day so I can workout mon/tue/thu/fri now. Because doing legs on a saturday after a 7-4 shift at work just ain't gonna work.

Hey Chewy! No still at it some what just updating in batches from now on rather than every session. Little concerned with my form so hoping to sort out a video soon.

Work is really depressing this year but I'm changing role soon hopefully and really plan on getting serious after that. In the mean time I bought a copy of Robert's book so having a read of that

Hope you had a good weekend!

@Stenno Get the video sorted out pronto, there's plenty of folk on here that can give you a hand. Even from playing it back yourself it can help. Sucks about work, what do you do? Weekend was pretty uneventful just worked and slept. Hope you had a good un.

Deadlift day

Tue 4th May 2010

Deadlift - 5@95kg, [email protected], 5@120kg

Barbell rows - 10/6/4/4@50kg

Good Mornings - 4x10@50kg

Weighted sit ups - 4x10 +17.5kg

Reverse Crunch - 3x12 (5kg counter)

Prone bridge - 1m 22s, 1m 30s, 1m 3s

finished with some grip training, holding 135kg then 125kg barbell.

I wanted 6 reps @120kg before I started. I reset 2 or 3 times and changed to over/under grip during then, could not budge it. Thing is, I feel if my grip hadn't softened up over the past months I would've made another rep. So I done some grip training at the end. I really hate doing good mornings. Just as I reach the bottom it feels like my hamstrings get torn to shreds. I'm hoping this will fix my terrible flexibility. I can't bend over at the hip (with straight back) for shit.

Next cycle of Jim Wendler's I'm gonna do fewer sets/reps on the assistance exercises and go heavier. It's been fun but I need to get strong again.

Powerlifting good mornings are different than bodybuilding style. You don't have to bend over that far, just about as far as you usually lean forward during a squat or deadlift. So, not very far. You can also bend your knees slightly. I know the feeling, I was killing my hamstrings before I got it sorted out. I'm thinking about going heavier on the assistance work, too.

I can't bend over at the hip (with straight back) for shit.

I feel your pain. I used to go to yoga classes and I was by far the least flexible person there...and that's with some ladies 60 years and up! Horribly tight hamstrings and hip flexors. I suppose if I actually stretched them out every day it would help. But I get lazy with that.

I'm gonna stick with the BB good mornings for a bit to see if they improve my flexibility, it's always been something I've wanted to work on - and like you lobster I've never been bothered to do stretches everyday.

Felt good when I woke up there, lower back's tight and hands were a bit sore first thing.

Cardio

Wed 5th May 2010

10km on stationary bike in 23:50 (resistance 3/8)

Actually bothered my arse to do some cardio today. Not a great time but got me sweating! Looking forward to bench tomorrow, hope my elbow holds up.