Week 2

Bodyweight=156.2lbs

Press day

Mon 24th May 2010

Overhead Press - 1x3@35kg/37.5kg, [email protected]

Seated DB Press - 3x8@15kg DBs

Side lateral raises - 6/4/6@9kg DBs

Pull-ups - 12/5/4/4

Bent over rows (lats) - 7/5/[email protected] (strict, slow form)

Tried a couple sets of concentration curls but there was a massive imbalance, my right arm was so weak. The end of the range of motion was tough for some reason. I did hit my right bicep hard off a cupboard less than a week ago so maybe that's it. Will attempt again next time. Got 3/1 with right arm and 8/3 with left @14kg DBs. I done inverted rows (elevated feet) to failure instead then burned out with the easy version with bent knees. Then done 10 pullup negatives.

Deadlift day

Wed 26th May 2010

Deadlift - 1x3@90kg/105kg, [email protected]

Bent over rows - 3x2@55kg (I switched over to real strict form, aiming for no torso movement or hip engagement. There was a lot of failed reps during these sets)

Good mornings - 3x8@45kg (REAL slow strict form, concentrating on keeping lower back tight throughout. not having a repeat of last week)

Weighted situps - [email protected]

Reverse crunch - 3x12(2.5kg counterweight)

Prone bridge - 1m 19s/1m/1m

Deadlifts were 5 with double overhand, switched to mix grip for last 2 reps. Last rep when I was locking out my elbow got a sharp pain but didn't hear from it since. Bent over rows I'm gonna go back to basics and I'm going to use super strict form from now on, as you can see in the numbers. Gonna deload and get a 3x5 working weight.

Eating has been pretty bad the last few days there's been no food in the house. Apart from yesterday I've kept the calories over 4500kcal since Sunday, but quality of food has been shit. Yesterday (being tuesday) I was at a music audition thing with a mate which took up the whole morning. I prob made 4000kcal yesterday - couldn't possibly have ate more was eating constantly since I got home. Shopping came last night so back to normal today.

Ran out of brown rice protein so rather using a mix it's just 100% pea till it arrives. I hate pea protein

Oh, think I'm gonna try weighted pullups next week. I don't seem to be progressing doing bodyweight once a week. Been stuck on 12 reps (1st set) forever now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Week 2

Bodyweight=156.2lbs

Press day

Mon 24th May 2010

Overhead Press - 1x3@35kg/37.5kg, [email protected]

Seated DB Press - 3x8@15kg DBs

Side lateral raises - 6/4/6@9kg DBs

Pull-ups - 12/5/4/4

Bent over rows (lats) - 7/5/[email protected] (strict, slow form)

Tried a couple sets of concentration curls but there was a massive imbalance, my right arm was so weak. The end of the range of motion was tough for some reason. I did hit my right bicep hard off a cupboard less than a week ago so maybe that's it. Will attempt again next time. Got 3/1 with right arm and 8/3 with left @14kg DBs. I done inverted rows (elevated feet) to failure instead then burned out with the easy version with bent knees. Then done 10 pullup negatives.

Deadlift day

Wed 26th May 2010

Deadlift - 1x3@90kg/105kg, [email protected]

Bent over rows - 3x2@55kg (I switched over to real strict form, aiming for no torso movement or hip engagement. There was a lot of failed reps during these sets)

Good mornings - 3x8@45kg (REAL slow strict form, concentrating on keeping lower back tight throughout. not having a repeat of last week)

Weighted situps - [email protected]

Reverse crunch - 3x12(2.5kg counterweight)

Prone bridge - 1m 19s/1m/1m

Deadlifts were 5 with double overhand, switched to mix grip for last 2 reps. Last rep when I was locking out my elbow got a sharp pain but didn't hear from it since. Bent over rows I'm gonna go back to basics and I'm going to use super strict form from now on, as you can see in the numbers. Gonna deload and get a 3x5 working weight.

Eating has been pretty bad the last few days there's been no food in the house. Apart from yesterday I've kept the calories over 4500kcal since Sunday, but quality of food has been shit. Yesterday (being tuesday) I was at a music audition thing with a mate which took up the whole morning. I prob made 4000kcal yesterday - couldn't possibly have ate more was eating constantly since I got home. Shopping came last night so back to normal today.

Ran out of brown rice protein so rather using a mix it's just 100% pea till it arrives. I hate pea protein

Oh, think I'm gonna try weighted pullups next week. I don't seem to be progressing doing bodyweight once a week. Been stuck on 12 reps (1st set) forever now.

I feel like I have to go grocery shopping at least three times a week, and my fridge and cupboards are always full. I don't know what that's about. I don't know what's going to happen when my boyfriend and I decide to get married. I guess we'll have to invest in a second fridge!

Sorry you've had to use 100% pea protein, that stuff is vile!

I'm glad to see you're making a conscious effort to be strict about bent over rows and good mornings. I could see those two causing some injuries if you're not careful. I stick to pretty light weights on both of those because I'm so paranoid about my form.

Haha I have to share a fridge with my mum/dad/sister. You should see how full that thing is when the shopping arrives!!

Yeah I don't really care how much weight I'm pushing in these assistance exercises compared to actually doing them right. I'd rather use slow proper form on them than jerking about with more weight just to make the last few reps.

Bench day

Thu 27th May 2010

Bench Press - [email protected]/55kg, 1x6@60kg

Weighted dips - 5/5/[email protected]

DB flat bench - 3x8@19kg DBs

DB flys - 7/6/[email protected] DBs

Slow push-ups - 8

Disapointed with bench today. Because of rounding numbers, this time last cycle I was doing the same weight (60kg) and only managed the same number of reps (6). Was expecting an improvement. I made weight during dips/db bench this week which is good. Flys are getting heavy, I'll stick with this weight till I make 3x8. When I went to do the 2nd set of push-ups my elbow was giving me grief again so I just called it a day.

Think I might start pyramidding down with bench. Don't want my progress to suffer to lack of volume. On the other hand I may just have had a better day than today last time round.

Supplies arrived =] I mixed the protein powders, maca, flax and creatine all together to save time when making smoothies.

Squat day

Fri 28th May 2010

Squats - 1x3@85kg/95kg, [email protected], 1x3@95kg, 1x5@85kg

Front squats - Some with empty bar then 1x8@25kg/35kg (breaking my wrists in)

Barbell lunges - [email protected] (gonna repeat this weight next week, technique's getting iffy)

Single legged calf raises - 12/8/9(right leg), 12/10/8(left leg) holding 26.5kg DB

Fairly decent day. I don't know how healthy front squats were on my knees, time will tell on that one. Pyramidded down on squats.

Week 3

Bodyweight=159.4lbs

Press day

Mon 31st May 2010

Overhead Press - 1x5@35kg, 1x3@40kg, 5/5/4@45kg

Seated DB Press - [email protected] (elbow started to hurt so lowered the weight), [email protected]

Side laterals - [email protected] (again, light because of elbow)

Pull-ups - 12/4/4/2

Bent over rows (lats) - 3x8@30kg (strict form)

Concentration curls - 8/5/4(right), 8/4/2(left) @ 14kg

10 pull-up negatives to finish off

Lmao. Before today I'd never made 3x5@40kg, and today I missed 3x5@45kg by a rep! And it was supposed to be a 1 rep max day (I underestimated my 1RM on OHP intentionally). Eating a lot rules. After I reached 5 in the first set I was thinking, I could easily pop out another 2 reps here, so I decided to rack it and try for the 3x5. Elbow was bugging me today. Something on chest day is weakening my elbow a bit. I can rule out barbell bench and dips because I've been doing them for ages and I never feel anything in my elbow doing these. Has to be DB bench or flys, think it's the flys. I'll miss them out this thursday just to give it a chance to strengthen again.

I didn't switch to weighted pull-ups and of course I missed the 13th rep again. Need to get on this.

Was working 7-4 today so was up early. Came home, went for a lie down for an hour and had some yerba mate before workout, it done the job of waking me up! I'm gonna keep doing this on week 3 only since it's 1RM week.

I feel you on the front squats When I started out I could barely hold the bar in place with two fingers, but nowadays I rack it with a a hook grip Just keep at it, and in two weeks or so you'll be racking it like a pro, haha.

Also, just saw your newest "before and after" photos, Phwoar! Looking ripped as fuck!

I feel you on the front squats When I started out I could barely hold the bar in place with two fingers, but nowadays I rack it with a a hook grip Just keep at it, and in two weeks or so you'll be racking it like a pro, haha.

Also, just saw your newest "before and after" photos, Phwoar! Looking ripped as fuck!

Thanks man! Yeah, I think the bars just sitting on a couple of fingertips at the moment haha.

Deadlift day

Tue 1st June 2010

Deadlift - [email protected], 1x3@110kg, 1x8@125kg

Strict barbell rows - 3x5@45kg

Slow good mornings - [email protected]

Ab superset - weighted situps x10/reverse crunch x12/prone bridge xFailure, 3 sets (only rest was getting setup between exercises, no rest between sets)

Nice face! lol. Yeah so I've never deadlifted over 125kg and today I pulled it for 8 reps (switched to mixed grip after 5th rep). This eating a lot really works!

Bench day

Thu 3rd June 2010

Bench Press - 1x5@50kg, [email protected], 3/2/1@65kg

Weighted dips - 5/5/4 (+30kg)

Flat DB bench - 8/6/[email protected] DBs

Incline DB bench - 8/6/5@14kg DBs

Slow pushups - 5

I tried missing flys today, elbow felt a bit better. When I went for the 2nd set of pushups I felt something and just decided to call it a day. Hopefully after a couple of weeks it'll start to go away - gonna leave the flys for a while. Was kinda hoping to hit more reps @65kg on bench. Done another couple of sets. Dips were good, disapointed I didn't make the 3x5 though. My new DB handles came, but I still need the 2x10kg plates (to add to the 2 I have just now) to make full use of them.

Tried incline bench today, felt more like an overhead press lol.

Squat day

Fri 4th June 2010

Squats - 1x5@90kg, [email protected], 1x2@115kg (PB)

Front squats - [email protected]

Squats - 1x5@65kg, 7/8/10@85kg

Single legged calf raises - 13/9/9 (holding 29kg DB)

My mate was over doing his workout at the same time, we were both kinda rushing through to get out in the sun. Apart from squats at the start was barely paying attention and taking huge rests between exercises. Front squats still making my knee feel a bit tight. Done more squats instead of lunges. I need to get a proper routine for assistance exercises on this day.

Eating has been consistent, but hard work. Staying over the 4500kcal/day. Noticing the fat adding but as long as my strength is increasing i'm not fussy. Deload week next week anyway I'll try getting loads of cardio in.

Thanks all!

You better not be slacking off
Haha awesome gif! It's deload week. Nothing exciting to report so I'll just post it all at once when it's over tomorrow. But it's funny you should say that, on monday I had a bad day and came 300kcal short of 4500kcal. Was stressed out to hell but things are better now.

I might as well post this just now, but I'll be cutting the cost of my food soon. Will still be eating the same amount, will just have to eat cheaper foods. I actually took the time to count up a weeks shopping and it ain't good.

What's everyone's favorite cheapy foods?

Week 4 (deload)

Bodyweight=162.6lbs

Press day

Mon 7th June 2010

Overhead press - 1x5@20kg/25kg/30kg (slow reps)

Seated DB press - [email protected] DBs

Side lateral raises - 3x8@9kg DBs

Weighted pullups - 3x5 +5kg

Bent over rows for lats - 8/8/[email protected] (strict form)

Concentration curls - 8/7/4 (right), 8/4/3 (left) @ 14kg DB

Deadlift day

Tue 8th June 2010

Deadlift - 1x5@55kg/65kg/80kg

Good mornings - 3x8@50kg (slow)

Barbell rows (strict) - [email protected]

Abs - Weighted situp(x10)/reverse crunch(x12)/prone bridge(xfailure) superset x3, no rest between. Started with 25kg on weighted situps.

Wed 9th June 2010

PM Cardio - Stationary bike, 10km in 21:13, resistance 1/8

Bench day

Thu 10th June 2010

Bench press (slow) - [email protected]/35kg/42.5kg

Weighted dips - 3x5 +30kg

DB flat bench - 5/5/3@24kg DBs

DB incline bench - 3x8@14kg DBs

Slow push-ups - 8/4/7

PM Cardio - Stationary bike, 15km in 35:09, resistance 1/8

Squat day

Fri 11th June 2010

Squats - 1x5@50kg/60kg/72.5kg

Box squats - 1x10@15kg/25kg/35kg/45kg/55kg/65kg

Front squats - 1x10@15kg/25kg/35kg

Lunges - 3x8@55kg

Single legged calf raises - 13/7/9 (right), 11/10/10 (left) holding 31.5kg DB

Then I worked on just holding the bar in low bar squat position for 30s @105kg/115kg, and twice at 125kg (getting a feel for the weight)

Done some grip as well, 105kg-135kg holding for as long as I could.

Sat 12th June 2010

PM cardio - 10km on stationary bike in 21:50, resistance 1/8

Elbow's felt a bit better. I'm gonna start doing flys again, but do them lighter for sets of 10 to take the strain off a bit. Weighted pullups I might actually stick with 5kg and do stricter reps, I tend to bring my legs into play for the last rep or 2. Not sure about incline bench, feels too much like an overhead press, think I'm better with the flys. Spent a couple of hours on squat day. Box squats were fun, was just slowly getting into it. I still don't know about front squats and my knee. I'll give it another week or 2 and see if it gets better or worse. Managed to get some cardio in over the last few days. Was pretty stressed about stuff towards the start of the week otherwise would've got some in earlier.

Edited by chewybaws

Haha, I dropped a bit of weight from doing cardio but still kept the eating up last week. Had a couple of bad days this week.

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 (Cycle 3)

Assumed 1RMs - Press=50kg, Deadlift=135kg, Bench=70kg, Squat=125kg

Week 1

Bodyweight=161.2lbs

Press day

Mon 14th June 2010

Overhead press - [email protected]/37.5kg/42.5kg/37.5kg/32.5kg

Seated DB press - 5/7/[email protected]

Side lateral raises - 5/3/4@10kg

Weighted pullups - 3x5@5kg (strict), 4/3/4 normal grip pullups (normally go wide)

Bent over rows (for lats) - 8/7/[email protected]

Inverted rows - 11/7/10

Deadlift day

Tue 15th June 2010

Deadlift - 1x5@90kg/102.5kg, 1x9@115kg

Barbell rows - 3x5@50kg (strict)

Good mornings - [email protected] (slow)

Situps - 3x15 (used 5kg over my feet for the first set, 2.5kg next set and 1.25kg for the last)

Reverse crunch - 6/8/7 (no counter)

Prone bridge - 3x60s

Bench day

Thu 17th June 2010

Bench press - 1x5@45kg/52.5kg, 1x8@60kg, [email protected]/45kg

Dips - 2/1/[email protected]

Flat DB bench - 8/8/[email protected]

Flys - 3x8@14kg

Slow push-ups - 6/5/5

Squat day

Fri 18th June 2010

Squats - [email protected]/95kg/107.5kg/95kg/82.5kg

Box squats - 1x10@65kg, 1x6@75kg

Front squats - 1x10@20kg/30kg/40kg

Barbell lunges - [email protected]

Single legged calf raises - 11/9/8 (right foot), 11/10/8 (left foot) holding 34kg DB

Quite a lot of the assistance exercises need deloaded. Switched curls for inverted rows, damn my arms feel nice after them. Was quite surprised how many reps I got for bench. Started flys again, I'm doing them inside the rack and using the safety bars to stop me from going too far down. Knee and elbow are feeling much better this week.

Nearly had an accident on box squats, couldn't get back up! I didn't set the safety bars after normal squats, I'll need to move them up next time. Had to roll it on my neck a bit and had a horribly rounded back getting down low enough, was REAL lucky not to get injured. Idiot.

Week 2

Bodyweight=163.4lbs

Press day

Mon 21st June 2010

Overhead Press - 1x3@35kg/40kg, 1x5@45kg/40kg/35kg

Seated DB Press - 8/8/7@14kg

Side lateral raises - 6/5/4@9kg

Weighted pullups - 5/3/3 +6.25kg, 6/3/3 normal grip pullups

Bent over rows (for lats) - 6/7/[email protected]

Inverted rows - 13/10/8

I accidentally done 5 reps when pyramidding down, and the seated press suffered because of it.

Deadlift day

Tue 22nd June 2010

Deadlift - 1x3@95kg/110kg, [email protected]

Barbell rows - [email protected] (strict)

Hanging knee raises - 3xF (wasn't counting, just trying to get the hang of them)

Weighted situps - 4x10@25kg

Prone Bridges - 3x1m 5s

Deadlifts ruled today. My lower back was so weak after them that I thought missing good mornings would be a good idea. Tried hanging knee raises, figured out by the last set that you have to tense your abs throughout, especially on the negative so you don't swing about.

Bench day

Thu 24th June 2010

Bench press - 1x3@50kg/57.5kg, 1x4@65kg, [email protected]/50kg

Weighted dips - 3x5 +27.5kg

Flat DB bench - [email protected]

Flys - 5/5/4@15kg

I'd have to check but I think that's the best I've done at bench. Disapointed though, I worked out a tad earlier than usual and was yawning between the warmup sets. Dips weren't easy, balance was horrid in the first set but corrected it for the last 2. DB bench was tough but got it. Flys I'm gonna have to do a serious deload and start doing sets of 10.

Squat day

Fri 25th June 2010

Squats - [email protected]/100kg/112.5kg/100kg/87.5kg

Box squats - 4x10@45kg

Front squats - 1x10@15kg/35kg/45kg

Barbell lunges - 8/8/6@60kg

I've had real trouble pushing squats recently. Today when I attempted a 4th rep @ 112.5kg was a lot better than the last couple of months, but I hit a point where I got scared to push myself further. Head felt like it was going to explode. I have a vid of the set, might upload later. The sad thing is I think if I pushed it that bit more I would've made the rep.

Fixed box squats, safety bars are at a good position now. Front squats a bit heavier today, wrists are still being pussies though.

Today was my first really bad accident. Last week was nothing compared to this. Lunges were going great today. I was even imagining myself now, after the first 2 sets, writing how lunges went great today - controlled, balance was better than ever. They usually get tough towards the end of the sets. So I get to the 7th rep (last set) on my right leg, set is going well so far, but also getting tough. I lunge forward with my right leg, went to kick back and my left leg felt real weak, couldn't get my right leg all the way back and just completely lost my balance, left leg buckled and I fell backwards onto the floor. I can't really remember exactly what happened, I think the bar caught on something which took most of the impact and then fell onto my collarbone somehow (which is fine - just got a small bruise). The first side of the bar went onto the mat and I dropped the other side onto the floor (from a short distance). At first my leg was real sore, and it hurt when I straightened it out, but I managed to stand up okay and I can walk about fine. A bit uncomfortable around my shin/ankle especially, but I think I got real lucky here.

It's hard to tell how long it'll take to heal, it hurts a bit at the bottom of a bodyweight squat. I had tried lunging in my power rack before but there wasn't enough space, felt like I couldn't take a full step. Safe to say, I'll be dropping the barbell lunges, because the thing is I thought I was doing well today, I don't remember doing anything wrong...so there's no guarantee this won't happen again. My ass is getting big from all this lunging anyway, but if I start it again it'll be with dumbbells.

It'll be good to concentrate more on squats anyway, they need it right now. I was only really shook up for the first minute, after that I was more pissed off at myself than anything else.

Today was my first really bad accident. Last week was nothing compared to this. Lunges were going great today. I was even imagining myself now, after the first 2 sets, writing how lunges went great today - controlled, balance was better than ever. They usually get tough towards the end of the sets. So I get to the 7th rep (last set) on my right leg, set is going well so far, but also getting tough. I lunge forward with my right leg, went to kick back and my left leg felt real weak, couldn't get my right leg all the way back and just completely lost my balance, left leg buckled and I fell backwards onto the floor. I can't really remember exactly what happened, I think the bar caught on something which took most of the impact and then fell onto my collarbone somehow (which is fine - just got a small bruise). The first side of the bar went onto the mat and I dropped the other side onto the floor (from a short distance). At first my leg was real sore, and it hurt when I straightened it out, but I managed to stand up okay and I can walk about fine. A bit uncomfortable around my shin/ankle especially, but I think I got real lucky here.

It's hard to tell how long it'll take to heal, it hurts a bit at the bottom of a bodyweight squat. I had tried lunging in my power rack before but there wasn't enough space, felt like I couldn't take a full step. Safe to say, I'll be dropping the barbell lunges, because the thing is I thought I was doing well today, I don't remember doing anything wrong...so there's no guarantee this won't happen again. My ass is getting big from all this lunging anyway, but if I start it again it'll be with dumbbells.

Yikes! This is why I'm scared to do barbell lunges! Hope you heal up soon.

Week 3

Bodyweight=164.8lbs

Press day

Mon 28th June 2010

Overhead Press - [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Seated DB Press - 8/8/12@14kg DBs

Side lateral raises - [email protected] DBs

Weighted pull-ups - 5/2/1 (+6.25kg), 7/4/3 (normal grip, non weighted)

Inverted rows - 8/8/6 (+5kg), then done my usual burned out on normal reps then reps with bent knees

My leg's healing up nicely, saturday morning I couldn't walk fast and it felt weak/painful on some steps. The left side of my abs were fucked as well. Neither are anywhere near 100% but hopefully by the end of the week I'll be good. Abs were annoying during todays workout, especially OHP and pull-ups. Skipped bent over rows due to lack of time. Used a backpack with a 5kg plate in it for the rows. Felt fine today but dunno what they'll be like if they get heavier.

Disapointed with weighted pull-ups. I am adding weight so maybe that's it. Disapointed with OHP as well but might have been to do with my abs/early workout - hard to tell. Anyway, busy day - got to get to work and then band practice. Bye!