Chewy's Strength Log

Squat day (deload week)

Fri 1st October 2010

Squats - 1x5@50kg/62.5kg/75kg, [email protected]

Glute ham raise practice - 5x10

Added some of the beginner dynamic stretches into my warmup routine today. Over the next 2 cycles I want to experiment and see what works for warmup/cooldown/stretching.

Today - Side twist, Side-lying trunk twist, Calf stretch, Fire Hydrants, Supine bridges

Should prob mention I added the groin stretch a week or 2 ago. Neglection of this is probably why I had so many groin problems when squatting when I started out.

Couldn't be bothered with calves today. Done the important stuff.

Next cycle I'm setting my squatting numbers to the same as Cycle 3, and will work my way back up, but only 2.5kg at a time. I'm really not worried about numbers just now, need to give everything a rest and get my head back in a good place.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 (Cycle 7)

Assumed 1RMs - Press=60kg, Deadlift=155kg, Bench=80kg, Squat=125kg

Week 1

Bodyweight=169.4lbs

Press day

Mon 4th October 2010

Overhead Press - 1x5@40kg/45kg, [email protected]

Incline DB Press - 5x10@15kg

Pull-ups - 5x6

After a horrid weekend of barely eating (had indigestion one night and pissed off the other), I had a horrid performance on press. Missed target by 2 reps, will adjust my 1RM accordingly for next week and work my way back up over the next couple of cycles.

Deadlift day

Tue 5th October 2010

Deadlift - [email protected]/117.5kg/132.5kg

Decline situps - 5x10 holding out a 10kg plate

Still hadn't recovered properly from shit weekend, so just done the prescribed reps. To be honest I probably only could've grinded out another 1 or 2 on that day. Need to get back into the garage next time, was getting comfy in there. Decline situps didn't do much for me to be honest - only thing it worked was my groin holding myself in place. I might actually try turkish getups this coming week.

Bench day

Thu 7th October 2010

Bench press - [email protected]/60kg/70kg, then 10/10/10/10/[email protected] with sets of 6 chin-ups between sets (5x6 total)

Barbell rows - 10/10/8/10/10@45kg

Good workout even though didn't make assistance targets. Worked hard, felt dizzy and sick at the end. Job done.

Squat day

Fri 8th October 2010

Squats - [email protected]/95kg/107.5kg, 5x10@65kg

Glute ham raise practice - 5x10

Calf raises - 3x10 single legs holding 24kg DB, 3xF both legs 20kg dipping belt

Another good workout. Squat strength sucks just now but it'll build back up. Prob could've grinded out more reps at 107.5kg but wasn't feeling it.

Still in the ongoing search for better meals. I've been enjoying curried potatoes/chickpeas on rice this week. Had quinoa for the first time in a while yesterday, damn good. Whatever I do I need to find a way to keep my calories at a consistent 4500kcal, the first half of this week suffered. First bad press and deadlift workout in a long time.

Week 2

Bodyweight=170.6lbs

Press day

Mon 11th October 2010

Press Assumed 1RM adjusted to 55kg in response to last weeks fail

Overhead Press - 1x3@40kg/45kg, 1x5@50kg

Incline DB Press - [email protected] DBs

Pull-ups - 7/6/6/6/6 (wide grip as always)

The big difference that conistent eating makes, much better than last week. 16.5kg on incline felt easier than 15kg last week. With pull-ups I'm gonna add a rep to each set weekly (so next week will be 7/7/6/6/6 if i can manage and so on, till i hit 5x7).

Glad to be over 170lbs BW again, but need to maintain (and hopefully be heavier next week) to be convinced.

Tomorrow I'll be trying to make a deadlift recovery.

Deadlift day

Tue 12th October 2010

Deadlift - 1x3@110kg/125kg, 1x8@140kg

Good mornings - [email protected]

Weighted prone bridges - 3x30s (30s rest between sets) +10kg

That's more like it. Had fun today. Considering going "boring but big" on the deadlifts, and doing 5x10 @50-60% of my Assumed 1RM after the worksets in place of good mornings. Then again, don't know if it'd just destroy my back since I like going to failure on the last working set before it.

I liked the weighted prone bridges, I was getting my 2 mates that I'm training up to do them in stronglifts and they gave good feedback. I figured it's prob the best assistance for the likes of squats/deads/press. I think it's finally an exercise I'll be able to stick with as well. Plate just goes on the lower back, if I'm working out alone I can just throw a backpack on.

Think I'm in for a stressful 12 days coming up, studying and exams and stuff. Rest day tomorrow so gonna get my head down.

Bench day

Thu 14th October 2010

Bench press - [email protected]/65kg, [email protected], then [email protected] with 5x6 chins slotted between the sets

Barbell rows - 10/10/10/10/8@45kg

Good workout again. Last rep @72.5kg was a grinder, as well as the last rep @47.5kg. Was pissed with barbell rows, first rep attempt on last set didn't make my chest. If it wasn't for that maybe I'd have made the 10. Try nailing it next week. The upper body days used to be a breeze but this one's proving to be a right bastard now.

Fell short on food yesterday, one of the smoothie's just sat in my stomach for ages. Made it to about 3700kcal. At least it was an off day, but still.

Squat day

Mon 18th October 2010

Squats - [email protected]/100kg, [email protected]

Glute/ham raise practice - 5x10

Calf raises - 3x10 single legged +34kg DB, 3x10 double legged +20kg dipping belt

On friday I got up, had no energy had to go back to lie down for a while, and then had to spend the rest of the day studying. It's been intense since last wednesday (eating was crap between then and yesterday, so little), and been studying a good couple of weeks moderately before that as well. But anyway, picked up today. Took it easy on squats (never done the 5x10 afterwards) because I'll have deadlifts soon and prob won't be as long as 7 days before squatting again because I'll have to catch up somewhere.

Although my 6RM is 115kg, I was stoked about making [email protected] today. I made it MUCH easier than the 115kg struggle, and there may have been more in the tank. Didn't want to go to complete failure though. Can't wait for my exam to get out the way so things can get back to normal.

Will weigh myself tomorrow hopefully haven't lost too much weight.

Looking good Chewy!

I had a few secs to spend on the couch today, so I stopped by and noticed your 130kg squat PR - fucking hell, old chap! You're becoming one strong fucker

Keep doing what you're doing, man!

I'm off for more weightlifting training. Currently getting coached by the danish weightlifting head coach and training 14 times a week (morning and evening), so basicly I have no life atm

Thanks man As soon as my exam is done I'm phoning the weightlifting club - I've been reading in the local paper there's loads of great powerlifters that train there as well. Including a 19 year old who squatted 197.5kg, benched 127.5kg and deadlifted 240kg in recent competition. Older guys as well, all ages. Hope it's not too busy!

I'll need a new place to deadlift, weather's getting cold and my dad's car will be back in the garage soon. Weight's getting too heavy to pull from upstairs.

14 times a week! You're a nutter. I don't even know how it's possible to recover haha. You always seemed to be immune to high frequency/intensity training.

Anyway I got some heavy ass deadlifts (for me) today better get off and mentally prepare myself haha.

chewy! good squats, dude! and how close is your actual deadlift to your assumed 1rm?! 340 is super awesome. I'm very jealous if you're hitting that. I've got some work to do. You're giving me something to chase! (which I appreciate! even if I do have almost 25 lbs on you..)

way to get your eats back on track!

you do a good job of keeping/reminding me to stay motivated.

Week 3

Bodyweight=170.6lbs

Press day

Tue 19th October 2010

Overhead Press - [email protected], [email protected]/52.5kg

Incline DB Press - [email protected] DBs

Pull-ups - 7/7/6/5/3

Although I've hit that on press before, technique felt solid today. Repeated weight on incline instead of moving because of upcoming bench day. Pull-ups couldn't hit 6 for the last 2 sets (target), will try again next week.

Deadlift day

Thu 21st October 2010

Deadlift - [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] (PR)

Good mornings - 5x10@50kg

Good day. No weighted prone bridges because I couldn't find a quick enough way to spot myself.

Bench day

Sat 23rd October 2010

Bench Press - 1x5@60kg, 1x3@70kg, [email protected] (PR), then 3x10@50kg (with 3x6 chins slotted between sets)

Barbell Rows - 5x10@45kg

Bar path was shit in 2nd rep, but PR none the less. Shooting for 80kg in 4 weeks (unless I bloat up, should be bodyweight finally...I weighed this morning and was 77.7kg). Struggled with the last rep of 3x10, decided not to do the last 2 sets to avoid working through fatigue. Made the barbell rows which was great, but if i done the extra 2 sets of bench/chins I wonder how they would've went.

Eating's been good recently, training has been good and growth has been good. And I've got my exam out the way, didn't go so well (stupid mistakes rather than lack of studying) but nothing I can do till I get results, so taking it easy. Will hit squat day on Monday.

chewy! good squats, dude! and how close is your actual deadlift to your assumed 1rm?! 340 is super awesome. I'm very jealous if you're hitting that. I've got some work to do. You're giving me something to chase! (which I appreciate! even if I do have almost 25 lbs on you..)

I won't be training singles until the weight catches up with me (week 3's the heaviest, you go to failure (if you want) on the last set at work weight, but as long as you make the single, you up the weight (5kg for deads) every 4 week cycle. Naturally, you can't add 5kg every 4 weeks forever and since it's to failure (or close to it) the reps will be going down every cycle until it is singles. Hopefully not before 200kg though

As for assuming my 1RM....I reckon I could hit 160kg for a rep. Then again been training >5 reps for a while so no idea.

I won't be training singles until the weight catches up with me (week 3's the heaviest, you go to failure (if you want) on the last set at work weight, but as long as you make the single, you up the weight (5kg for deads) every 4 week cycle. Naturally, you can't add 5kg every 4 weeks forever and since it's to failure (or close to it) the reps will be going down every cycle until it is singles. Hopefully not before 200kg though

As for assuming my 1RM....I reckon I could hit 160kg for a rep. Then again been training >5 reps for a while so no idea.

Then I guess tomorrow is a deadlift day... except no squats first.. I'll race ya...

Haha cool. Added you to my contacts

Squat day

Mon 25th October 2010

Squats - 1x5@95kg, [email protected], 1x5@120kg (parallel, last 2 weeks haven't been as deep as normal), [email protected]

Glute/ham raise practice - 5x10

Calf raises - single legged - [email protected]/24kg/26.5kg (holding DB), double legged - 3xF with 20kg dipping belt

Happy with today, worked hard. Squats this week and last have been higher than normal but as long as it's parallel and no higher it's fine. Pretty sure it's a new 5RM. Will be going a bit deeper from now on just to make sure though, can't afford to go any higher. 5x10 were normal depth, and since my wrist hurt a bit after the work sets I wrapped my thumb. Didn't make much of a difference apart from less bend on my wrist.

In 3 or 4 cycles time (12-16 weeks, I'll test 1RM again).

Week 4 (deload)

Bodyweight=170.2lbs

Press day

Tue 26th October 2010

Overhead Press - [email protected]/27.5kg/32.5kg

Incline DB Press - [email protected]

Pullups - 7/6/6/6/7

Monday night upper arm felt funny (recurring injury). I felt it after glute/ham raises the week before as well. It'll be the impact and having to do a kinda push-up to assist on the way up. Will have to find another exercise or way to do them, can't have this. Got worse towards the end of this workout, noticable during pushups. After deciding not to go for the 2 sets of 7, I felt good for another on the last set. A bit of improvement there which is good, will try making 3 sets next week. Arm felt pretty bad at night.

Deadlift day

Wed 27th October 2010

Deadlifts - 1x5@65kg/77.5kg/95kg

Was reluctant to workout because of my arm but figured since there's no joint movement in the exercises I'd give it a go. After starting back/legs were way too tight. This day usually lands 4 days after squats but because I'm catching up with workouts, only had 2 days. Done the deload work sets and done some stretching and foam rolling. Made everything feel much better. Smart move, didn't want to slow recovery/cause injuries on deload week, defeats the purpose.

Will do a lot more stretching and stuff this week and take everything easy, get myself prepared for next week. Arm's feeling better already today, need to continue being careful though.

My weight's annoying me. Sunday I barely ate anything, was out of town and had no food. Need to EAT!

How do you keep yourself so lean?

Do you do any cardio?

Back round about 150-155lbs my bodyfat was real low. Added 15-20lbs since then, since I've done it fairly slowly it hasn't all been fat. But even at that, 15-20lbs isn't a lot when it's spread over your whole body. I am however, nowhere near as lean as I was back then. Serious definition loss, really noticable for me on the torso/shoulders/upper arms. My calves and forearms are just skinny, maybe that's why I look lean haha.

Nah, don't do any cardio. Will start in about a year. After I get 200kg dead and 100kg bench I want to improve my general fitness. I won't be stopping strength training, but until then I don't want anything getting in the way of gains. It's hard enough maintaining/gaining weight as it is without burning more calories.

Don't worry guys, eating's been much easier this week. It's just the odd situation where I'm in a situation where I can't eat/carry enough food.

Bench day (deload)

Thu 28th October 2010

Bench Press - [email protected]/40kg/50kg, 10/10/10/10/9@50kg

Barbell rows - [email protected]

Finally back on schedule with workouts. Until the last few sets of bench, was fucking about with form. Everytime I do I just end up unsatisfied and usually a stiff back from overarching. I'll just stick with what I'm doing, it's comfortable and I'm still making gains. Apart from a shitty 4th set in barbell rows form-wise, it went pretty smooth. I might slow these down though. I just belt through them and might be using bounce in some reps. Next week will make sure they're at a rest.

Was annoying not to make the 5x10@50kg bench. Had nothing left in the tank, the 9th rep was a grinder. Didn't do the chins inbetween since pull-ups were aggravating the shoulder, wanted to save the energy for other exercises as well. Upper arm's feeling much better actually. Should be 100% by Monday assuming I don't do anything stupid.

Today was one of those sessions that started off crap and got better just before the end. I need to stop working out too early sometimes. I don't have enough food and strength in me at that point.