Chewy's Strength Log

Squat day(deload)

Fri 29th October 2010

Squats - 1x5@50kg/62.5kg/75kg, 5x10@70kg

Bar holds (for grip) - Worked up to 3x10s @170kg (mixed grip)

So yeah, had to ditch the glute/ham raises. Since I'm doing them on the floor and my arm can't take the impact of cushioning the fall and assisting on the way up. I'll need to be in a gym with the proper bench if I'm to do these again. I'm gonna ramp the weight up on the 5x10 squats and make them more of a maximal effort. I'm close already, today was tough (and that's without heavy work sets preceding it).

One thing I am worried about is since I started the glute/ham raises I haven't felt as much stress in my left knee during squatting - I'm wondering if working the hamstrings more were starting to fix a muscular imbalance. If the knee pain comes back and I suspect this I'll get more resistance bands and do some leg curls.

Quite happy with the bar holds, worked my way up from increments of 10kg from around 130kg after warming up. Switched to mixed grip from 150kg. Next week I want to work on my double overhand a bit more. And maybe move the pegs on the rack down a notch to work on my lockout (seems to be my weak point when reaching failure on deadlifts). My breathing got better towards the end but still needs more work.

Gotta prepare for next week, my 8th cycle on this program if I remember right. Gotta eat BIG.

Just a couple of minor changes - ditching glute/ham raises. Will need to sort out a secure way of keeping a weighted backpack on for prone bridges. Bar holds on squat day. And may drop or move chinups so they don't interfere with 5x10 bench/rows.

some motivation

'To do' list

1) Practice breathing during heavy bar holds

2) Learn russian

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm only at 170lbs just now.

I assume you're not referring to that video there, that's just for motivation lol. I wish I was that guy! One of the, if not THE best raw powerlifters out there, Konstantinovs

Scroll up a bit and see my skinny self do Squats haha

I'm only at 170lbs just now.

I assume you're not referring to that video there, that's just for motivation lol. I wish I was that guy! One of the, if not THE best raw powerlifters out there, Konstantinovs

Scroll up a bit and see my skinny self do Squats haha

"Lean and mean" is how I'd describe you! Not "skinny"!

some motivation

'To do' list

1) Practice breathing during heavy bar holds

2) Learn russian

Learn Russian He's saying nothing special, just "413" in Russian

PS: I too have trouble with bulking. No matter what I eat I stay lean and not mean at all I do no cardio too. Who wants to loose that heard-earned fat?

But you really do great squats and deads!

Haha was starting to worry jordan! I've been around 170lbs for nearly 7 weeks now which is really annoying. I want to make at least 175lbs by the end of the 4 week cycle I start tomorrow. Really I'm not adding weight that quick, it's been over half a year since I started this program (nothing to do with the program, but I think that's when I started to "bulk" again). Food's same as always, smoothies and big grain/bean meal.

Though yesterday I had a LOT of houmous sandwiches (didn't have time to make anything for work). 12 slices of seeded bread and 300g of houmous, and a few smoothies - hit 4800kcal =] Will be doing the same today cause I'll be out the house all day. Time to stop being a pussy and remember that I'm supposed to be bulking!

Press day tomorrow. Yeah buddy!

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 (Cycle 8 )

Assumed 1RMs - Press=57.5kg, Deadlift=160kg, Bench=82.5kg, Squat=127.5kg

Week 1

Bodyweight=171.2lbs

Press day

Mon 1st November 2010

Overhead Press - [email protected]/42.5kg, 1x4@50kg

Incline DB press - [email protected] DBs

Pull-ups 7/7/7/5/3

Bad day. Gig night before, lot of pushing, trying to keep myself upright and pressing crowd surfers. Not much sleep. Prob not the only factor. But anyway, failed 1x5@50kg. Which I made sometime in August, so was annoying to fail it today. Pull-ups were actually going well, was aiming for 6 in the last 2 sets, but as soon as I started that 4th set, every rep was murderous.

I'm wondering if I should've stuck to 5x10 overhead press instead of changing it to incline. I think doing incline I'm totally neglecting my mid section and balance.

I have no idea what to do about deloading. I deloaded before, but I've failed before reaching the point I was at again. To be honest I think I need to get pressing more and replace the incline bench with 5x10 OHP at 50-60% of training max. And make sure I keep eating more. Then again that doesn't explain why the other exercises are progressing fine.

Deadlift day

Tue 2nd November 2010

Deadlift - 1x5@105kg/120kg, [email protected]

Good Mornings - 5x10@50kg

Prone bridge - 3x30s (30s rest between sets) +10kg backpack

I knew I was making 10 reps on deadlift before I even started this workout. I woke up feeling crap again today. But after having a couple of smoothies and getting moving (taking the plates to the garage) started to get psyched. I took a video but not worth posting I don't think. Switched to mixed grip after 6th rep, and started to struggle with last 2 reps. Wasn't grip that was failing this time, it was lockout. 2-3 inches to go. Practice these on Friday during grip training.

Found the best backpack for prone bridges, sorted for doing them now. Easy to get on and wasn't falling off during the set.

Yeah but I have to put it down to not pressing enough I think. When I was doing 5x10 as well my technique was more solid. Need to make sure I don't neglect abs either, prone bridges are here to stay now.

Bench day

Thu 4th November 2010

Bench press - 1x5@55kg/62.5kg/72.5kg (new 5RM), 10/10/10/8/7@50kg

Barbell rows - 5x10@50kg

Threw up before workout. Had my EAA's then some green tea which already felt dodgy in my stomach. Was brushing my teeth/tongue cause I didn't want groggyness to affect my breathing. My 2nd smoothie of the day came back up. So I've made the same one again to have just now. Hopefully won't affect my apetite today.

But anyway, didn't seem to affect my workout. 2nd time in a row I've made new weight in barbell rows 5x10, and didn't miss bench by much either will keep chipping away at 50kg. Was great to make work weight on bench. Because I've been rounding the numbers up for the resistance percentages, it works out I'll be doing 72.5kg again for the 5 reps next cycle. Hopefully make 6 reps in 4 weeks!

All in all, today worked out pretty good.

That's some determination--working out after throwing up!

Congrats on the new 5RM.

To be honest I felt absolutely fine after it, throat felt a bit funny, and was a bit hungry after I got started.

Squat day

Fri 5th November 2010

Squats - 1x5@85kg/97.5kg/110kg (deep), 5x10@70kg

Bar holds (grip) - worked upto 175kg, pegs were set about 4" from lockout, 10s/5s/3s (mixed grip)

I was shooting for 3x10s again on grip, but tricep on the over hand (right) felt real tight, as soon as it got too uncomfortable I was racking it. Gonna bring the weight down next week and do something a bit more structured that I can build on.

Was happy with the squats, went deep for work sets. Last rep was a grinder. 5x10@70kg was hellish afterwards.

Good workout.

Week 2

Bodyweight=174lbs

Press day

Mon 8th November 2010

Overhead Press - 1x3@40kg/45kg, [email protected], 10/10/7/8/7@30kg

Pull-ups - 7/7/6/6/6

Switched incline for 5x10 press, used 50% of assumed 1RM (between 50-60% is recommended) and still failed. Will take 5kg off next week and build it up. Was good to be pressing lots again, shoulders took a kicking. The long sets will force me to learn to breathe properly. Almost made a 7th rep in the last set of pullups. Hopefully next week!

Work sets were much better than last week's attempt. Think that's twice I've made 1x5@50kg, [email protected], 1x3@55kg on press now over a good few months. About time to start progressing! I think 5x10 press and weighted prone bridges are gonna help me a bunch, as well as the bigger eating. Stuffed my face this week, 174lbs lol. A couple of pounds heavier and it'll be the heaviest I've ever been - with a lot less fat than last time.

Haha dunno about pictures! Videos will have to do for the meantime

Deadlift day

Tue 9th November 2010

Deadlift - [email protected]/130kg, 1x8@145kg

Good mornings - 5x10@50kg

Prone bridge - 3x30s (30s rest) +11.25kg backpack

Tough but rewarding workout! Not much to report, eating's been consistent. A lot less jerking about in the lockouts today, with a bit more work they'll be smoooth.

Thanks for your comments everyone, keeps me motivated!

Working out at home has its advantages and disadvantages. I'm looking for somewhere else to deadlift at the moment.

Bench day

Thu 11th November 2010

Bench Press - 1x3@60kg/67.5kg/75kg, 10/10/10/10/9@50kg

Barbell Rows - [email protected]

Was expecting better @75kg. I guess it's a new 3RM but after last week I thought I could nail 4 reps at least. Still shooting for a double next week. Was gutted about not making the last rep of 5x10. Hopefully get it by the end of this cycle. Hit a new weight on barbell rows AGAIN. Think that's 3 weeks in a row now. Amazing!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j287/chewybaws/SAM_0968.jpg

I've always neglected taking pictures of my back and legs. Will try get a decent legs one soon just for reference.

Everything will look good towards the end of 2011 when I strip the bodyfat off! Everything looks soft just now, and will just get softer as time/weight goes on.