Chewy's Strength Log

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bodyfat? I see no fat to speak of!
I have a picture from the end of April on my computer with great definition - bodyfat was real low. Pic above is real soft comparitively, I've been eating big consistently the last couple of weeks starting to pack on.

Squat day

Fri 12th November 2010

Squats - 1x3@90kg/102.5kg/115kg, [email protected] (all deep)

Bar holds (grip) - 5x10s@135kg (double overhand)

Real happy with depth today, video'd/watched back 115kg and last set of 5x10. After the tricep tightness last week and what's following next week didn't want to do anything stupid with the grip training, so went light and many sets. Might actually switch bar holds for rack pulls to practice lockouts, grip will get trained along the way.

Anyway, another good workout. Got a real busy weekend so hope I can keep the eating up. Will forward plan tonight as much as possible.

Thanks everyone! Been pretty busy recently, so here goes

Sat 13th November 2010

Cardio - 10 mins on rowing machine

Sun 14th November 2010

Cardio - 16 mins on upright bike, intervals (2 mins 60% predicted MHR, 2 mins 90% predicted MHR)x4

Didn't have a choice with cardio, part of a course I was on. Didn't eat so well on Sunday, simply didn't have time. Which was shit cause I had most of the food pre-prepared.

Week 3

Bodyweight=171.2lbs (why i don't do cardio lol)

Press day

Mon 15th November 2010

Overhead Press - [email protected], 1x3@50kg, 1x2@55kg, 5x10@25kg

Pull-ups - 7/7/6/6/7

After the hard weekend of barely any sleep and travelling, surprise surprise a shit workout. Though I did make the pullups - shooting for 4 sets of 7 next week.

Deadlift day

Tue 16th November 2010

AM

Deadlifts - 1x5@120kg, [email protected], [email protected] (336lbs) *PB*

PM

Squats - 1x5@100kg, 1x3@110kg, 1@120kg/130kg, 1@140kg *PB*

Yesterday was nuts. First of all had deadlift workout. All the shouting in the vid is embarassing cause I have such a weak voice but it helped me squeeze out the extra reps. Serious grip failure on 3rd rep, nearly missed it. Lockout was murder on the last rep. I knew I was going to check out the weightlifting club at night (wasn't expecting to be lifting, but just incase) so I didn't do any assistance.

So night I went to the weightlifting club, met a bunch of oly lifters and the owner. Watched some SERIOUS weight get thrown about. After about an hour of getting myself comfortable suddenly the squat stands were getting setup so the owner could see me squat. He watched my warmup set gave me a few pointers and then left me with some of the others. So I had a girl (with a ass to grass squat PB of 135kg) about 5 years younger than me helping. And a boy (same age) squatting 170kg on the platform beside me ATG (that's him only about 80%). Both spotting me, giving me form pointers and encouragement, and picking decent weights for my attempts instead of me underestimating myself.

And BANG, +10kg PB. First time using squat stands (instead of rack), no collars at that kind of weight, and first time using shoes as well (not lifting shoes, just a pair of macbeth elliots). Also first time using a 7ft instead of 6ft bar. And it didn't even cross my mind that I was dealifting a max set to failure earlier in the day until I left the place. And oh yeah, first squat over 300lbs

Going back tonight to meet the powerlifting crew

Chewy, you look great! Now I know why you're able to dead-lift that much!

PS: I'm really amazed with your progress in doing dead-lifts! Now I've looked through the beginning of your log. You started dead-lifting 40 kg in June 2009, and by the end of July 2009 you reached 85 kg. I almost passed away last time in gym when I dead-lifted 75 kg:( And now, just a little more then one year later, you dead-lift 150 kg!!!! WELL, THAT IS A PROGRESS! Congratulations!

Cheers lads!

At the club

Wed 17th November 2010

Deadlift (belt) - 1x5@120kg, 2x2@170kg

Close grip bench - worked up to 1x10@60kg

DB bench - 1x8@25kg DBs

So met the powerlifting crew (about 7 of 'em). They're all fucking nutters, love it! This was them going easy on me tonight since I deadlifted a max yesterday. The belt was pretty much mandatory, didn't have much of a say in it haha. All reps were with mixed grip. Was good having 3 plates on the bar. My abs DIED.

Fucking love the club, feel like part of a team or something!

Have you told them you're a vegan yet? If so, any reaction?
Not yet, I will if diet comes up. The leader of the pack said he'd have to get me into eating milks and eggs to lose the anorexic look (the rest of the guys have a bit of body fat, except one guy younger than me who's around the same BF as me but more muscular), but I just kinda laughed and the conversation changed direction. If I get asked about what I'm eating of course I'm gonna tell them but the first night I just wanted to concentrate on lifting and bond a bit.

Jesus man, good work. You'll be at 200k in no time!

What did lifting with a belt feel like?

Weird, like your mid-section is getting packed in, something to push against. I'm pretty sure it's what killed my abs. I nearly closed the belt, was only using like the 2nd hole from the end. The guys were joking it hadn't been to that setting in a while haha.

Oh and I'm not gonna lie. No way I would've hit that today without the belt.

It sure was fucking brilliant lifting heavier and low reps again, that feeling like your head's gonna burst. The funny thing is, my sticking point looks like it's reversing. The first 6 inches were slow then I was speeding up, lockouts were a piece of piss - and unbelievably satisfying. Didn't want to put the weight down after I lifted it.

(like dumbells I can't even pick up, much less shrug!! lol)
In the past I've had trouble getting into bench position with less than 20kg on flat bench before. When they were like "get gary the 25s for DB bench. I was pacing about nervously until I realised I was getting a spot lol.

Gym looks good man!

I can't wait to get back into the club. I can see why you like training a lot jason, I've had a blast this week so far.

Forgot to mention used my deadlift slippers for the first time at the club. Gonna order some vegan weightlifting shoes as well for squatting.

Can't believe I forgot to mention this but I have a Blendtec now! Parents chipped in for my xmas and I paid the rest. My smoothies are ACTUALLY smooth now, and not me eating a meal out of a flask. Except for my recovery drink yesterday, it seemed to struggle with the dates. But then again I think the smoothie cycle only took 20s or something. I didn't have time to mess about yesterday but I reckon if it was on for a little longer it would be fine. The great thing is because it takes less time it doesn't heat your food up. And since it blends stuff that would normally be lumps you can taste everything.

I'm well chuffed just need to find a cycle to get those date skins smooth.

I need to look for a bike to get around, the bus is too too infrequent at night + expensive, and the club's at a rough area, it's not a good place to be walking/standing about in.

YES Chewy! It's so freaking good you finally joined that place Training at a club like that is gonna help you A LOT! I've made some crazy gains since I started getting coached at the WL club.

Sorry I never wrote you back on FB, but I'm rarely online these days But, my training is going great, and my lifts have really improved these past two month. ATM I'm repping 120kg in the C&J (Going to attempt 135kg next week) and just today I hit 100kg in the snatch, which was fucking awesome! Just as I was getting ready for the snatch this song comes on. Usually I'm not a fan of power metal, but it somehow captured the moment of me fighting the elusive 100kg snatch

Again, totally stoked that you joined the club I know you're going to become one beastly strong vegan!

YES Chewy! It's so freaking good you finally joined that place Training at a club like that is gonna help you A LOT! I've made some crazy gains since I started getting coached at the WL club.

Sorry I never wrote you back on FB, but I'm rarely online these days But, my training is going great, and my lifts have really improved these past two month. ATM I'm repping 120kg in the C&J (Going to attempt 135kg next week) and just today I hit 100kg in the snatch, which was fucking awesome! Just as I was getting ready for the snatch this song comes on. Usually I'm not a fan of power metal, but it somehow captured the moment of me fighting the elusive 100kg snatch

Again, totally stoked that you joined the club I know you're going to become one beastly strong vegan!

Man it's great to hear from you. You have some crazy progress there. 100kg snatch is AWESOME! Sounds like it was an epic lift

The club is fucking great, hopefully within a couple of weeks I'll be training 3x a week with the powerlifters, yesterday was my first day. It's an amazing atmosphere, all 7 of us were sharing the same bar for deads/bench. I'm the weakest of the bunch but that's driving me more and more. They were impressed with my deadlift - reckon I'm gonna have a strong one, I hope they will be by my squat as well. Just need to train extra hard on bench!

Prob sometime I'll go in on an oly night and start learning to power clean. Everyone's really friendly and helps each other out. Fucking awesome club.

My life's really starting to change just now, I'm starting to find my place and got a lot of new stuff coming up soon. As I'm getting stronger physically I'm become a stronger person too.

All you guys rock, thanks for the encouragement!

At the club

Fri 19th November 2010

Squats - 1x5@90kg/100kg/102.5kg/105kg (all with belt)

Bench Press - 1x5@50kg/60kg/62.5kg/65kg

Right, so the general routine the guys follow is-

Mon - Heavy Squats/Heavy Bench

Wed - Heavy Deadlifts/Close Grip Bench/DB Bench

Fri - Light Squats/Light Bench

They use the Friday to "stretch" out, so some people just train at a local gym or themselves on this day. Was only me and one other guy. This wasn't a light day for me, I can't make the next 2 mondays but after that I'll be ready to hit this hard (band has practices/gigs). I'm using the next 2 weeks as an adjustment period, and need to decide what I'm doing for assistance. On Wednesday only a couple of guys done assistance (think they're nearing competition).

I'm sure after a couple of weeks I'll be fine, but that belt is really fucking killing my abs. I had major DOMs yesterday and today. Things were fine after this morning till I put that belt back on for Squats. The guy reckoned my running shoes were better than nothing for footwear. They didn't feel bad or anything but I might have preferred my barefoot. Either way, I need to get proper weightlifting shoes. Going to order them now.

He didn't have much to fix on my technique, just that my start/end position I need to lock out at the hips. And getting into position I was standing too far back from the rack, he wants me staying close.

On that note, there was only 1 pointer on my deadlift and nothing on bench. Either there isn't much to fix (highly doubtful) or he isn't overly bothered.

The belt was incredibly offputting during squats today - but I'm guessing that's cause my abs were already fucked. Hopefully I'll adjust in weeks to come.

One thing that's annoying me is everytime I say anything about the belt, the guy says I prob wouldn't make it without the belt. I reckon it wouldn't have made a difference today, even though I had hard squat/dead days on tue/wed.

Popped into bike shop today. I thought it'd have been a case of paying and riding it out, didn't realise they had to build it up (and because they're really busy just now it'd be about 10 days). Need to get someone with a car to take me, probably monday. I hate waiting for buses, especially in the area the club's in. Too dodgy.

That turned into a long post. I need to make food for the weekend at work. You'll hear from me soon, loads going on just now!