Chewy's Strength Log

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im excited your getting a bike!
Me too! Although a bit nervous - it's been a long time since I've rode one.

At home

Sat 20th November 2010

Front Squats - 3x5@45kg

Barbell Rows - 5x10@55kg

Mate was over for workout so I joined in in some exercises to loosen up, and plus I hadn't done barbell rows this week yet. There was a point where everytime I tried front squats towards 35kg I'd kill my wrists. Everything felt super comfortable today and I know why - back position. Before I was trying to go deeper by leaning forward like you would in a low bar back squat. Today I kept upright and only went down as far as my flexibility would allow. Which was pretty damn high. I may do these to try improving my flexibility but we'll see. Barbell rows were kinda tough but alright.

My abs are destroyed from wearing that belt. I can't even hang from a pullup bar at the moment. Going to get a recovery drink, ice them and foam roll my legs inbetween a few times over. Better go, it's getting late.

So after talking to a couple of guys at the club about my abs and the belt (which are still real sore, were at their worst on Monday), they reckon I have bruised ribs - turns out I was wearing the belt too high. I did ask when I was putting it on if it was in the right place but oh well. Makes sense since ice hasn't been helping.

At the club

Wed 24th November 2010

Deadlifts - 2x5@70kg, 1x3@120kg **

Bench press- 1x5@60kg, 2x5@65kg, [email protected]

Lat pulldowns, reverse fly machine for stretching out

When I got home I done some front squats, they didn't seem to bother me on Saturday and they didn't today either

Front Squats - 5x5@70kg

So after the deads at 70kg I got the belt on and couldn't even get into position for 120kg. Tried about 5 times and took the belt off. Took a couple of attempts to get started and my ribs just got sorer towards the 3rd rep so called it quits. I couldn't get into the bench, spent so long not deadlifting that I was cold. The numbers aren't terrible or anything but everytime I was getting on and off the bench it was pretty sore. The actual exercise was fine though. Lat pulldowns didn't affect it either which I'll have to keep in mind as I can't hang from a bar just now.

The front squats were actually pretty brutal. I found a real good depth while keeping my torso pretty upright (for me). Thankfully the weight was comfortable, wrists got a good stretch but weren't sore. That's way higher than I've ever done front squats. I'm prob going to have to use these instead of back squats for the meantime till my ribs heal up.

I need to go find some cheap flaxseed and stock up tomorrow. Gonna replace my cooked meal with lots of veg smoothies to help heal quicker (replace the cooked shit with anti-inflammatory veg+seeds). And I need to experiment with exercises and make a plan up for the meantime.

So far I know these;

Exercises I can do heavy - Front squats, bench press, lat pulldown

Exercises that are dodgy - Back squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, pull/chin-ups

Gotta try out some other stuff. One armed DB rows may be a possibility but will just have to test it out. Either way I think there's going to be A LOT of front squatting and benching haha.

ouch, sorry to hear about the ribs, hope you heal up soon!
Funnily enough I've woke up today and they feel the best they have. I took an anti-inflammatory pain killer before bed. I thought after those deads yesterday I would've fucked them properly again. Just need to be patient, nothing I can do about an injury like this until it heals.

Your front squat form looks really good though!
Cheers man, could prob use a bit of work but the depth is where I want it (when I was playing about with 45kg the other day it felt like I couldn't go past parallel without tipping forward).

I completely forgot to mention, I cycled to the club and back yesterday, about 20-25 mins there and the same back. My quads were burning at points. Embarassingly after we were out one of the guys had a look at it and I had a part round the wrong way and he said my tyres weren't nearly blown up enough. The part of the frame that attaches to the front wheel is curving backwards instead of forwards (so the wheel should be an extra couple of inches forward). Which means I have to take it to bits again because the handle bars need flipped and the front wheel tyre tracks will be the wrong way. It's funny because I was wondering why I couldn't turn it much without getting the wheel caught in my foot. Such an idiot

All a learning experience It is my first bike in about 10 years. And clearly I didn't build them when I was a kid. It basically came assembled, only had to pop the saddle/pedals/handlebars/front wheel on and I still fucked up half of it! And it took over 2 hours haha

What do you guys recommend for wearing on the bottom half? Trackies just ride up my leg and sometimes get caught on the saddle when I'm trying to get on/off. It'd be good if it's something I can lift in as well for squats/deads (some of the guys wear legging style bottoms, no idea what they actually are).

No DOMs this morning was maybe expecting from cycling and front squats.

What kind of bikedid you get? I HIGHLY doubt you need to take anything too far apart to fix the fork (the but youre talking about that holds the wheel).

Take picture and I can easily walk you through it.

Just had to take the handle bars off and spin it around 180. I got the cheapest mountain bike the shop had. The idea is it'll pay for itself on what I would've spent on bus fares within 3 months! http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_770971_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

At home

Fri 26th November 2010

Bodyweight=78.3kg (172.6lbs)

Squats - 2x5@100kg, [email protected]/105kg/110kg

Bench Press - 1x5@60kg/65kg, [email protected] (must've not recovered from Wed)

Deadlifts - 1x5@65kg/85kg/105kg/120kg/135kg, single at 150kg and 160kg (switched to mixed grip for these, double overhand before it)

Ribs starting to feel better today so decided to go for it. Still not good to do pull-ups or chins. Quite happy with the Squats but need to get my numbers up. I wanted to do some benching today to tie me over to Monday. Because I can't really do any assistance exercises just now I wanted to do SOMETHING for my upper body. I was deadlifting in my room instead of the garage because I wasn't expecting to go as heavy, so all the negatives were super slow. The single at 160kg was slow, but there's a bunch of factors affecting it (ribs+breathing, having to be careful in my room, squatting before it) so I'm not gonna worry. I should be good to go real heavy on wednesday but we'll see.

I didn't even realise when i hit [email protected] last week (without belt), that was my first set over 2x bodyweight. Technically today was a beltless PB, but I'm capable of WAY more. Gotta wait till I'm fully recovered. I started to feel it in my ribs on that last rep, but was happy I didn't feel anything before it. To be honest the worst part about today was getting on and off the bench.

Squats I used my new shoes again, felt pretty solid. I video'd the last set at 110kg, happy with my depth. As per instruction from a guy from the club, I've started straightening my hips properly before/after reps. I was leaving them unlocked before, but I'm standing nice and straight now.

And oh yeah, got out on my bike for 20 mins yesterday. Had to go a flaxseed run

Depending on how quick I recover next week I might start getting myself used to the guys routine, the week after I should be in there the full mon/wed/fri from then on. And sort out what I'm doing for assistance. I'm seriously missing pullups, my strength was just starting to go up on them =[

I love that your commuting and doing errands on your new bike! I find it loosens up my legs from lifting a bit and it's great cardio when you really hit it. do you have any compression wear pants? Those would be a good idea because they won't get caught in the bike, they help you recover faster and you might like lifting in them with a pair of shorts over them or you can just bring a pair of shorts and change.

At home

Mon 29th November 2010

Squats - 3x5@105kg

Bench Press - [email protected], 2x5@65kg, [email protected]

Barbell Rows - 5x10@55kg

Went to watch the guys compete at a powerlifting comp yesterday, was amazing! The guy who I've been training with most squatted 290kg at age 51 (and natural). Another guy squatted 305kg (i think). Got everything on vid. There was this massive polish guy (not in the club lol) who benched 290kg!! Obviously jacked up on roids but impressive power to watch. Was great seeing some serious weight thrown about.

Okay so I'll see what works for assistance, next week I'll be able to go to the club on Monday. So today was heavy squats/heavy bench and I added barbell rows for assistance. Wed I'll be at the club, deadlifts and close grip bench it'll be, I'll either do pullups or lat pulldowns and prone bridges for assistance. Friday will be light squats/light bench so I'll do some OHP that day as well.

Today's bench I was only planning on doing 1x5 of each weight - 62.5kg/65kg/67.5kg. The first set at 65kg I struggled with, so decided just to do it again and call it a day. Took 4 or 5 mins rest and went for it. Went up easier than the first time, so decided to go for 67.5kg. Which wasn't actually a tough set either. Glad the way it worked out, got an extra set in.

Think Arthur's gonna bring me in a programme on wednesday for the main lifts. See what's in store for me!

Powerlifting Programme - Week 1/8

Wed 1st December 2010

Deadlift

3x6x132.5kg (no belt)

Close grip bench

1x5x40kg, 1x5x45kg, 1x17x50kg

Lat pulldowns

5x10x30kg

Wide grip pullups

7, 6, 4

Prone bridges

3x30s +15kg (30s rest)

Arthur from the club made me a programme, I'm kind of starting in the middle of the week which is a bit shit. Gonna be 8 weeks getting heavier towards the end. First 3 weeks are sets of 6, following 3 weeks are sets of 5 and the last 2 are sets of 4. Starts off light. It's only the heavy squats/deads/bench that are specified so I'm gonna be picking my assistance basically.

I know those lat pulldowns are stupidly light but my first time doing a workout on that machine and just wanted to practice the movement to start off with. I'll build it up. I'll prob do chins or pullups on a Friday, but just wanted to get some done today since I haven't done any in ages because of my ribs.

Speaking of, I tried a guys belt on during a warmup at 120kg and done 2 reps and felt like I was gonna pass out if I kept going. Belt was digging right into where I hurt my ribs and got light headed real quick. Took off the belt, took 2 mins, was fine. Deads went up like nothing today, but it's supposed to start off light. Corrected my grip and moved it right in just either side of my legs, will reduce the ROM.

Gotta get a thinner belt and try and ease myself into it, but more importantly give my ribs a few weeks to make sure they're healed up properly.

I have to say over and over again how amazed I am with your dead-lifts and squats... And, yes, when I saw your lat pulldowns, I was like: what?!! I do 10 reps @ 45 kg, with perfect form, and my dead-lifts are crap compared to yours. I almost passed away doing 5 reps @ 80 kg recently:(((( You never get dizzy? I hope your bench will get as good as your dead-lifts and squats, and I hope your ribs will heal! It's nice to see a vegan guy making such progress! All best!

Yeah I was just feeling out the machine. Wasn't enough to get even slightly fatigued, taking the same approach as stronglifts (start with empty bar, work up). Until I get form practiced I don't want to go heavy. If I get injured it's gonna be during a main lift, not an assistance exercise. That's why I done pullups straight after, knew I could work same muscles without doing anything stupid.

It's pretty simple about the bench/deadlifts. I have really long arms which makes deadlifting easy (reduced ROM), and bench hard (increased ROM). Squats I just practiced them a lot. 3x a week for first 9 months, gave me a good base!

Thurs 2nd December 2010

45min spin class....yuch. Quads just filled with waste for the first 15 mins then eased off. Then managed to keep going but pretty much stayed at a really easy resistance for the rest of the time. No cardio into 45mins of intervals isn't a good idea. Oh yeah, I didn't do this by choice - obviously. Can't believe people pay for that shit...where's my barbell..

Thurs 2nd December 2010

45min spin class....yuch. Quads just filled with waste for the first 15 mins then eased off. Then managed to keep going but pretty much stayed at a really easy resistance for the rest of the time. No cardio into 45mins of intervals isn't a good idea. Oh yeah, I didn't do this by choice - obviously. Can't believe people pay for that shit...where's my barbell..

Oof, tell me about it. I had a free personal trainer session a while ago and I was dying after 15 min on the treadmill at the pace they had it on. Cardio is not my strong point.

Fri 3rd December 2010

Squats

5x10x70kg

Bench

5x10x45kg

Chins

8, 8, 6

Press

5x5x35kg

Friday will be light day, still trying to decide what to do. Everything went up easy enough today (and it should have), legs were sore during squats (prob cause of last night) but wasn't really that tired by the end. Worked on speed with the bench and press. Was expecting 3x8 at least on chins, kinda disapointed there. Dunno what to do with this day, it isn't very organised. I just stuck OHP in at the end because it didn't fit into the other days. Gonna have to think of something.

Again, not voluntary, done a core class on Friday, abs still a bit sore when I tense them. Was another good highlight of how bad my flexibility is.

Mon 6th December 2010

Bodyweight=78.1kg (172.2lbs)

Squats

3x6x97.5kg

Bench Press

3x6x57.5kg (2 extra reps on last set)

Barbell Rows

5x10x55kg

97.5kg felt heavier than it should have, but didn't struggle. Done some real light reverse flies on the pec dec to stretch off. Time to do something about bodyweight, been fluctuating around 172-174lbs for 3 or 4 months now, it's not on. My bench was actually a bit inconsistent today, wasn't hitting the same spot on my chest everytime, never had a problem with this at home. For setup, the bar is a lot lower than I normally have it (I have the longest arms out of everyone), I'm still trying to find my setup. I might work on this a bit on wednesday (or could set the bar lower in here and practice it). I have trouble getting my shoulder blades squeezed together as tight as I normally do.

Need to try and avoid stuff that's gonna hinder my recovery, things get heavier towards the end of the 8 weeks.

Step up that cardio! What are you gonna do when the zombies come?
Set the bench at incline and press some projectiles at them!

If I done cardio I'd need to eat first what I burned off, but also more on top of that to cope with the boosted metabolism. I'd never gain weight, even if I spent whatever remaining free time I had constantly eating.

Powerlifting Programme - Week 2/8

Wed 8th December 2010

Bodyweight=79.5kg (175.2lbs)

Deadlift

6, 6, 8 x 135kg

Close grip bench

1x13x52.5kg

Press

1x8x30kg

Shrugs (smith machine)

2x8x60kg

Close grip lat pulldowns

2x8x50kg

Prone bridge

3x30s +16.25kg (30s rest)

I promise you and myself, that you'll never see an assistance workout like this again. It was only me and Arthur at the club and we were just picking shit at random for assistance, will be sticking to something more structured from now on.

Deadlifts were no belt, I haven't used a belt since the last time I mentionned it. I've ordered one but it's not a big deal just now. Want to get these light weeks out the way so I can lift some serious weight.

Fri 10th December 2010

Squats

1x6x95kg

1x3x100kg

Bench Press

3x10x50kg

Wide grip lat pulldowns

1x8x56kg

10,10,8x49kg

Was just by myself today, light day. Wasn't doing anything stupid, will be heavy squats/bench on monday. Lat pulldowns still trying to find a working set. Will prob take it a weight down next time and shoot for 5x10 and work up from there. Was kind of at a loss with what to do with bench on this day, I'm going to replace it with overhead press, and make sure I burn out a bit more on the monday bench for growth.

Mon - Heavy squat/bench, Barbell Rows

Wed - Deadlift, CG bench, Lat pulldowns, Prone Bridge

Fri - Light squat, Overhead Press, Chins/pullups (depending what grip I used on wednesdays lat pulldowns), Some form of ab exercise

Edited by chewybaws

Monday 13th December 2010

Squats

6,6,12x100kg (last set with belt)

Bench Press

6,6,12x60kg

Barbell Rows

6x10x57.5kg

Got a belt from strengthshop.co.uk. Has a bit more give on it, but hell it works. Ribs are fine this morning. I'll use them on my last set on wednesday as well to see what deadlifts are like with it. First 2 sets went up easy enough but still challenging. Last set was easy with the belt. Still had more in the tank, was having fun with it. Barbell rows I was babysitting a couple of new guys so too much rest inbetween the sets so added an extra set for good measure.

Had fuck all time to warmup yesterday, so left quad is a bit stiff this morning. Was just empty bar, then set of 6 at 70kg/90kg. After work I'll get some foam rolling done tonight.

Can't fucking wait to add weight again, bring on next week!

Powerlifting Programme - Week 3/8

Bodyweight=79.2kg (174.6lbs)

Wed 15th December 2010

Deadlift

6,6,8x140kg (last set with belt)

Close Grip Bench

1x14x55kg

DB Bench

1x15x25kg DBs

Chins

Close Grip Lat Pulldowns

5x10x45kg (3 extra in last set)

Legs were mashed from monday's squats but didn't affect my deadlifting. Was supposed to be doing 137.5kg today but made a mistake while loading the bar, Arthur told me just to go with it - worked out well. Still a bit uncomfortable with the belt on deads, but at least my ribs are okay again today. Enjoyable workout. Things should start getting a bit tougher next week, bring it on!

Step up that cardio! What are you gonna do when the zombies come?
Set the bench at incline and press some projectiles at them!

If I done cardio I'd need to eat first what I burned off, but also more on top of that to cope with the boosted metabolism. I'd never gain weight, even if I spent whatever remaining free time I had constantly eating.

hysterical!

if you want some "cardio" that isn't going to have you losing weight you have to do high intensity short sprint workouts.

What's hysterical, the zombie comment or my pathetic attempt to get out of doing cardio?

What do you recommend for sprints? Do you do 'em on a treadmill or just sprint for so long or so much distance? Keep in mind I've never done proper cardio or any explosive lifts.