Chewy's Strength Log

Been managing to touch my toes this week with locked out knees. Kind of have to dip down and can only hold it for 1-2s at a time. But before I started stretching my hams out regularly about a month ago I couldn't get within about 3 inches. So this is a big deal for me, extra flexibility work is paying off.

yay!! congrats!

Being able to touch my toes with straight legs is a dream of mine.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good work on reaching the toes. If I don't stretch down to toes before every workout my back screams after doing squats. I just let my arms and head hang, concentrate on breathing, and after half a minute or so my hands are on the ground. Relaxing with it gives a nice stretch through the back, too.

Yeah the profile's quite old now! Was up within a couple of weeks after yours Mary.

Toe touching took a bit of work to get back to after deads on Wednesday, but just gotta keep on top of it everyday. Stretched hams/shoulders last night and also this morning after foam rolling ITB/groin.

Fri 8th April 2011

Workout weight = 85.2kg

Squat

1x5x69kg

1x5x80kg

1x5x92kg

1x5x103kg

1x3x118kg (belt for this set only)

1x8x92kg

Bench

1x5x42kg

1x5x49kg

1x5x56kg

1x5x63kg

1x3x72kg

1x8x56kg

Barbell row

1x5x36kg

1x5x42kg

1x5x48kg

1x5x54kg

1x3x62kg

1x8x48kg

Dips

3x5 (BW)

Strict BB Curls

3x8x15kg

Tricep extensions

3x8x10kg DBs (seated)

Took a light weight for all the assistance because it was the first week (also to break my shoulders back into dips - felt fine. start weighted ones next week). Was all over the place with Tri extensions gonna keep the same weight next week and try and get the form down. Squats were easy, no challenge on bench really. The triple was maybe a bit slower than it should've been but nothing drastic. Rows were easy. Prob my latest time finishing a workout ever at 9:15 after stretching. Which is why my weight is so high, so no celebrating yet (I'm not actually sure if I mentionned but I'm starting to bulk with madcow). Right lat's a bit sore, should be good for Monday though - bring it on!

Chewy, do you have a bulk weight goal and date...or just bigger? just asking...for accountability and encouragement. ...and if you don't mind my asking, do you have any particular supps you plan to use during to assist the weight gain?

My goal is just to add weight weekly, 0.1kg to above - not fussy. Just that I actually do it. Looking for a 500kg gym total by the end of July.

I just plan to gain weight by eating more calories, no need for supplements there!

Will continue to take creatine, EAA's and protein powders though.

Right on! Personally, I'm looking to go up to 90kg by June. Don't have any creatine, though. For you, does it cause noticeable water weight gain? Do you cycle your creatine?

...starting my 5x5 tomorrow! Yeah Buddy!

500kg total...nice goal!

Don't have any creatine, though. For you, does it cause noticeable water weight gain? Do you cycle your creatine?
To be honest, I couldn't tell you. I don't know how long it takes for creatine to "load" and there's so many factors with weight gain that even if I looked back in my log I wouldn't be able to draw conclusions. I used to cycle it but don't anymore, occasionally I'll take a week off if I'm not training (after a comp, or like there when I got run down) but don't make a point of it anymore - I don't think you need to.

Madcow 5x5 - Week 2

Mon 11th April 2011

Morning weight = 83.6kg

Workout weight = 85.2kg

Squat

1x5x71kg

1x5x83kg

1x5x94kg

1x5x106kg

1x5x118kg (belt for this set only)

Bench

1x5x43kg

1x5x51kg

1x5x58kg

1x5x65kg

1x5x72kg

Barbell row

1x5x37kg

1x5x43kg

1x5x49kg

1x5x56kg

1x5x62kg

Hypers

2x8x7.5kg (behind neck)

Weighted situps

4x5x10kg (behind neck)

Good +1.2kg weight gain since last Monday. To be honest there was nothing hard about today, which was lucky since I wasn't exactly feeling energetic. Squats didn't take too long, bench is feeling really solid and fast just now, rows were easy. Hypers got a slight pump in the lower back, situps were easy. Was too much going on in the gym so ended up being in there for like 2h 20m. Bring on Wednesday!

Wed 13th April 2011

Morning weight = 83.7kg

Workout weight = 85.7kg

Squat

1x5x71kg

1x5x83kg

2x5x94kg

OHP

1x5x25kg

1x5x29kg

1x5x33kg

1x5x36kg

Deadlift

1x5x113kg

1x5x129kg

1x5x145kg

1x5x162kg (belt for this set only)

Chins

Situps

3x6 (nothing holding feet down)

Well everyone starts deadlifting at 5:30pm so since starting madcow we need to squat/press prior, so we've been heading in earlier. Got picked up late so had to go at a ridiculous pace to squeeze squats/press in before deads. Was literally loading weights, and taking a set constantly. My back was a bit stiff today, was feeling it when getting the bar on my back for squats but not while squatting. After squats I was sweating so working on press/dead form was out the window was too wiped out. The weights went up though. Assistance - forget about it, was too tired. Done what I could. Was infinitely worse than last week. Looking forward to Friday, might actually get to take 1m rest between sets!

Anyway, need to pull my finger out. Morning weight's only +0.1kg from monday. Time to get eating.

I can't imagine lifting heavy with less than a minute between sets. Way to go!
Was a light squat day and going light on press just now. Would've died if it was heavy

Nice man, you're pulling some big weight. Keep doing what you're doing. BTW I'm digging the Propagandhi shirt
Thanks man, I'm actually working back up from the bottom on deadlifts, capable of much more =]

What's happening with your OHP? I remember reading a while back that you were pressing more than this... I'm looking forward to reading more as you go through your new routine, always informative and motivational
Working on form. When I used to do press I lacked the shoulder flexiblity to get the bar over my heels, so hyperextended my back to finish (didn't realise this at the time even though it was excessive). So been working on shoulder flexibility and basically working back up from the bottom on my press to work on form.

Not really concerned about weight on it to be honest, just want to be able to do it with decent form. And as the weight goes up it'll get my posterior/medial deltoids a bit of work to balance out my shoulders from all the bench.

Fri 15th April 2011

Workout weight=86.4kg

Squats

1x5x71kg

1x5x83kg

1x5x94kg

1x5x106kg

1x3x121kg (belt for this set only)

1x8x94kg

Bench

1x5x43kg

1x5x51kg

1x5x58kg

1x5x65kg

1x3x74kg

1x8x58kg

Barbell row

1x5x37kg

1x5x43kg

1x5x49kg

1x5x56kg

1x3x63kg

1x8x48kg

Weighted dips

3x5x5kg

Strict BB curls

3x8x20kg

Tricep extensions

3x8x10kg DB

Squats were ridiculously easy. 121kg was easier than the 2 sets before it. No back pain despite some outside of workout yesterday + today. Bench a bit slower today but not challenging. Rows were easy. Dips were surprisingly hard but first time doing them weighted this year I think? Started to get the hang of extensions, may go up to 12.5kg next week.

Great workout, fast paced. Plus Friday's from now on they're late and it's just me and my mates basically. One joined 2 or 3 months back and another 2 a week ago. Gym's empty Friday night and we can put our own music on =] Ideal.

Also got a new foam roller, it's brutal. http://store.tptherapy.com/The_Grid_Revolutionary_Foam_Roller_p/tpt-grd.htm

Ordered a lacrosse ball to replace the tennis ball, should be here soon!

The foam roller/lacrosse ball are great, harder but not so sore for bruising.

Madcow 5x5 - Week 3

Mon 18th April 2011

Morning weight = 84.8kg (heaviest ever I think)

Workout weight = 86.4kg

Squat

1x5x73kg

1x5x85kg

1x5x97kg

1x5x109kg

1x5x121kg (belt for this set only)

Bench

1x5x44kg

1x5x52kg

1x5x59kg

1x5x67kg

1x5x74kg

Barbell Row

1x5x38kg

1x5x44kg

1x5x51kg

1x5x57kg

1x5x63kg

Hypers

2x8x7.5kg (behind neck)

Weighted situps

4x6x10kg (behind neck)

Everything was pretty easy today, took the same weight on hypers and situps, but done an extra rep per set on situps, gonna get 4x8 before I move up the weight.

Wed 20th April 2011

Morning weight = 84.7kg

Workout weight = 86.9kg

Squat

1x5x73kg

1x5x85kg

2x5x97kg

OHP

1x5x26kg

1x5x30kg

1x5x33kg

1x5x37kg

Deadlift

1x5x116kg

1x5x133kg

1x5x149kg

1x5x166kg (belt for this set only)

Weighted chins

2x5 +5kg

Situps (nothing holding feet down)

6, 6, 5

Squats were quick, OHP burned the shoulders a bit because I'm doing them pretty slow to work on form, but weight was easy enough. Deadlifts for the first week since the comp felt like they should do at this weight - easy. Top sets were quick! Starting to find my old form again, got the hips higher - back to where they used to be.

Those situps are getting worse lol. So hard to keep feet down!