Chewy's Strength Log

I was watching your squat video, I have a question, cause I had thought your knees are not suppost to go past your toes? It looked like yours were. I have been doing a wider stance when doing mine because of that. Am I doing them wrong?

I have to say chewy your success is motivating. I think I strained some muscles on my ribs when doing squats last time. And I have stalled at 130lbs (body weight) for about 2 or 3 weeks know. Bummer. But I look at your log and it helps to motivate me. So thanks dude!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching your squat video, I have a question, cause I had thought your knees are not suppost to go past your toes? It looked like yours were. I have been doing a wider stance when doing mine because of that. Am I doing them wrong?

I have to say chewy your success is motivating. I think I strained some muscles on my ribs when doing squats last time. And I have stalled at 130lbs (body weight) for about 2 or 3 weeks know. Bummer. But I look at your log and it helps to motivate me. So thanks dude!

I just do what feels natural. Since I switched from high bar (with bad form) to a low bar squat (with my current form) I abolished all my old injuries (groin/knee). My squat felt a lot stronger and balanced, I just do what feels natural. I guess if you go TOO far forward the weight would shift to your toes.

Prob if I was to consciously keep my knees back it'd feel a lot more like a good morning, and I'd lack the flexibility to get anywhere near parallel or below.

And cheers glad I'm motivating!

Remember when you're going down in a squat to keep it controlled, force yourself to do it slow. I used to divebomb into the hole and it gave me all sorts of problems.

I think I'm gonna make quite a few changes to the assistance exercises for next cycle, prob be a lot simpler. I also want to learn to power clean (i tried once and injured my shoulder, this was way back), hence the front squatting today. I video'd this, I'm hopeless at keeping my torso upright, and in turn this is stopping my elbows from staying up. They need work, I'm gonna do them quite a lot during deload week just to get used to the rack position, wrist/shoulder/tricep flexibility etc. And once I'm more comfortable I'll get some hang cleans into my routine.

IT'S LIKE WE'RE THE SAME PERSON! I've been wanting to incorporate some olympic lifts into my routine too! I have the exact same issue with my front squats/power cleans because my elbows just do NOT want to go up that high. I'm hoping the flexibility will just naturally come along with more practice. Good luck to you! You're doing a great job!

Deadlift day (deload)

Tue 3rd August 2010

Deadlift - 1x5@65kg/70kg/85kg

Hang cleans - 7x5@35kg

Good mornings - 3x8@60kg

Hanging Knee Raises - 6/10/10/10

I'll talk about hang cleans at the end. I want to make sure the good mornings are more solid/controlled before I add weight. Nothing bad, but just want to make sure. Still getting that right hand shoulder strain during knee raises, I widened my grip and it seemed to help.

Wed 4th August 2010

Hang cleans - [email protected]

Bench day(deload)

Thu 5th August 2010

Hang cleans - 7x5 (might have been 8 sets) @40kg

Bench press - 1x5@30kg/37.5kg/45kg

Weighted dips - 4x10 +6.25kg

Incline DB Bench - [email protected] DBs

Bench press - 10/10/10/[email protected]

Flys - 4x10@10kg DBs

Totally burned my triceps out. Pity I didn't make the 4x10 bench press, would've looked neat.

Squat day (deload)

Fri 6th August 2010

Squats - [email protected]/65kg/80kg

Squats - [email protected]

Single legged calf raises - 4x10@39kg DB, then done some unweighted ones both feet high reps till burn out.

I was in such a shit mood this day. I was going to call it quits after the first lot of squats but just pushed through.

Okay, hang cleans were annoying me a bit. So done them mon-thurs, taking videos and checking them between sets. I think my jumping position was too low at the end and causing the bar to be too far away from me. I think part of the problem was sliding downwards before jumping, I should really have just done them from a dead stop, and then progressed onto pulling them up from the knees and gradually work down. But anyway my left arm's been giving me a bit of grief since the last session on thursday, feels like the bone in my upper arm or something. Slowly getting better I'm going to try them tomorrow (tuesday of the following week hehe) and play it how it goes.

Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 (Cycle 5)

Assumed 1RMs - Press=55kg, Deadlift=145kg, Bench=75kg, Squat=135kg

Week 1

Bodyweight=167.2lbs

Press day

Mon 9th August 2010

Overhead Press - [email protected]/42.5kg, [email protected]

Overhead Press - 4x10@25kg (was supposed to be all from a dead stop but I forgot for the first 7 reps in the 2nd set)

Pullups - 3x5 (+8.25kg), 7/4/4 (unweighted)

DB curls - 10/6/7/6 (right arm), 10/5/6/5 (left arm) @14kg DBs

Last week when I was lucky to make 12.5kg, so not surprised with the curls today. Might actually go back down next week. Overhead press was decent I guess, I video'd (too close and bad angle) the set at 47.5kg, not sure about my form. But it's getting stronger which is the main thing. The weighted pullups weren't so strict but made it.

EDIT: just added the hang clean vids, even though it was last week some pointers might come in handy! Also my bodyweight's been fluctuating the last couple of weeks, prob that day of cardio and all the extra work from hang cleans and some foam rolling! (forgot to mention I've been foam rolling, infrequently - but the pain has went down. just been doing ITB, quads and groin so far, will add others soon).

ANOTHER EDIT: it definitely does look like my jumping position is further down in the last vid compared to first 2, will have to get it back up! Hopefully I can work on these tomorrow but I'm worried about my arm. I will just do 5x5 with a weight between 35-40kg again and no more, then leave it till Friday.

Deadlift day

Tue 10th August 2010

Deadlifts - 1x5@95kg/110kg, 1x11@125kg

Hang cleans - 1x5@35kg, 4x5@40kg

Good mornings - 3x8@60kg

Hanging knee raises - 4x10

I lifted something funny on Saturday at work and had a pretty sore back Sunday, got better every day. This morning there was still something there but wasn't bad at all, so still decided to push it on deadlifts and do good mornings. Everything feels fine just now, actually better than before the workout. Hang cleans were a disaster but at least my arm wasn't aggravating me. I think I was just tired from deadlifts, there was no explosiveness whatsoever, and as usual there was quite a few reps hitting off my collarbone. I tried pulling the weight up from below my knees for the last couple of sets but didn't go very well at all. Hanging knee raises I stopped using straps (the only exercise I use them for) in the last set and it felt way more comfy, felt like the load was taken off my wrist.

Hey man

Just a quick suggestion - do the technical part of your workout before the strength part. For this one it'd be hang cleans before deadlifts. It won't take much out of your deadlifts, might help you warm up. Done the other way around I think deadlifting will kill your cleans.

I'm not going to offer much technique advice on the cleans as I have no technique of my own. The main problem I have looks similar to yours in that we both pull with our arms and bend them early. That might be why you are feeling it in your arms a bit.

It's 8PM and I'm still 1100kcal short of making my intake. It's real hard making it on non workout days. Just don't have the motivation right now, prob going to fall short today. I wish I had more money so I could buy more raw foods (nuts/seeds, better and more veg, dates for home made protein bars). Today I made the mistake of actually replacing some of the volume of my grain/bean meal with stuff to flavour it (tomatoes/soy milk/curry powder) and all it done was make it hard to eat and less calories. Everything's pretty bland just now in my diet, the only meal I enjoy is one of the smoothies (tropical pineapple), the recovery drink and the shake before bed.

Something that did work quite well today was replacing my salad with a green smoothie. Same amount of greens/seeds and didn't have to sit over it for 40-60mins like my usual salad.

I should stop being a baby and get on with it, but I think something needs to give on my diet, too much cooked foods bringing me down. I have noticed it since I switched to the cheaper diet.

Everything's pretty bland just now in my diet, the only meal I enjoy is one of the smoothies (tropical pineapple), the recovery drink and the shake before bed.

I know exactly how you feel, man. I get stock in a bland food rot from time to time, and it's the worst.

One thing I find that I always enjoy is a avocado, hummus and tofu sandwich, and it'll easily pack 1000+ kcal

2 avocados

150g hummus

250g tofu

Enough bread to cover it all (i usually eat rye bread as I'm not much of a white bread kinda guy)

Salt, pepper and tabasco

This is definitely one of my prefered mid day meals. So simple, yet incredibly tasty.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, and sounds like a plan xCx! I'm off work this weekend so looks like I'll be making a trip to the shop

I did still manage to make 4000kcal that day, and the last couple of days I hit my target no problem.

Bench day

Wed 11th August 2010

Bench Press - 1x5@50kg/57.5kg, 1x6@65kg

Weighted dips - 10/10/9/5 +7.5kg

Incline DB bench - [email protected] DBs

Bench Press - [email protected]

Flys - [email protected], 3x10@9kg (needing a deload)

Fairly happy with bench progress, it is progress after all! (after my 6 month rut a while back, I'll take anything!). Last set of 4x10 bench my left elbow pinged, felt alright since but I need to watch. Same thing happened when I was foam rolling a day before it, no weight on it, wasn't leaning on it. Just twisted it a funny way and small sharp pain.

Squat day

Fri 13th August 2010

Squats - [email protected]/102.5kg, 1x6@115kg!!

Squats - 4x10@65kg

Single legged calf raises - 4x10 holding 34kg DB

Calf raises - 3xF (20kg dipping belt, high reps till burnout)

This is my 5th cycle of Wendler's 5/3/1. I've never managed an extra rep (I go to failure) when going for the 5 rep max on squats, nailed it today. The last rep is ridiculous. First I hit my usual sticking point, came down a bit but just decided to PUSH. Then my legs started shaking real bad and I thought they were gonna pack in, but decided to keep going, and EVENTUALLY I locked it out.

Cheers guys!

Week 2

Bodyweight=168.4lbs

Press day

Sun 15th August 2010

Overhead press - 1x3@40kg/45kg, 1x5@50kg, then 4x10@25kg from dead stop

Pull-ups - 5/5/4 +10kg, then 7/2/5 unweighted

DB curls - [email protected] DBs

As you can see when I was going down to start the 5th rep I had a bit of trouble controlling the bar, lost concentration and arched my back, but I got the rep up. Pull-ups were less than strict, I did get a vid of the 2nd/3rd weighted sets which I may upload later. Curls were actually really hard, but my bi's were sore enough after the weighted pullups.

You may or may noticed that I'm a day early with this workout. On friday I'm going to London for a couple of days and won't get a chance to workout.

Yesterday I ate out for the first time in a while, treated myself to some flatbread and hummus for a starter, followed by a huge stone baked pizza.

Edited by chewybaws

Haha thanks robert - it was a grinder!

Deadlift day

Mon 16th August 2010

Hang clean practice - used the safety bars in my rack and just pulled from the jumping position, sets of 5 at 30kg/35kg/40kg/45kg/45kg. went quite well but when catching the bar at the bottom after the rep it was pulling at my shoulder really bad. upper arm didn't feel too good.

Deadlift - [email protected]/117.5kg, [email protected]

Barbell rows - 4x10@45kg (need to do something for upper back, was going to replace with hang cleans but could be a while before i can get a good workout with 'em)

Good mornings - 2x8@60kg (needing a deload)

Hanging knee raises - 4x10

Kinda disapointed at deads, done them all with mixed grip, I got it about 1cm off the floor with double overhand and was unsure whether I'd finish the rep without dropping it so just switched. Prob a combination of things, moving the workout 1 day earlier. Didn't have my smoothie before workout so only 1 meal. Hang cleans before it too. I remember on the day I had more excuses but can't remember them now...oh yeah also had no music on because was waiting for a delivery. And worked out earlier than usual.

Bench day

Wed 18th August 2010

Bench Press - [email protected]/60kg, [email protected], then 5x10@40kg

Incline DB Press - 4x10@14kg DBs (extra rep on last set)

Prior to this workout my elbow was feeling kinda bad, as well as round about my shoulder/upper arm. Prob the hang cleans (well, improperly catching the bar at the bottom after the rep and pulling at my shoulder). Was feeling kinda funny during the bench, so decided to do "boring but big" for assistance, rather than trying dips - had a bad feeling something would happen. Felt OK after that, done some incline bench. Then tried flys but called it a day after a few reps before I got a proper injury.

Squat day

Thu 19th August 2010

Squats - 1x3@95kg/110kg/122.5kg, then 2x10@65kg

Calf raises - 4x10 holding 34kg DB each leg, then 3xF both legs same time with 20kg dipping belt

Warmup sets went real smooth, but work weight felt kinda heavy, still managed the 3. Was going for 4x10 with 65kg afterwards but back was hurting towards the end of the 2nd set, decided not to push it.

Anyway, off to London tomorrow and saturday, band's playing a gig.

Week 3

Bodyweight=166.8lbs

Press day

Mon 23rd August 2010

Overhead Press - [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Overhead Press - [email protected] (from dead stop)

Pull-ups - 3x5 +10kg (not very strict), 6/4/6 unweighted

DB curls - 10/10/8/7 (right arm), 10/10/7/6 (left arm) @12.5kg

Deadlift day

Tue 24th August 2010

Deadlift - 1x5@110kg, 1x3@125kg, [email protected]

Barbell rows - 10/10/9/[email protected]

Good mornings - 3x8@55kg

Reverse crunch - 3x12 (no counterweight)

Bench day

Thu 26th August 2010

Bench Press - [email protected], 1x3@65kg, [email protected]

Weighted dips - 4x10 +7.5kg

Incline DB press - 4x10@14kg

Bench Press - [email protected]

DB flys - 10/10/10/20@9kg

Squat day

Fri 27th August 2010

Squats - [email protected], 1x3@115kg, [email protected]

Squats - 4x10@55kg (as deep as I could go)

Single legged calf raises - 4x10 holding 24kg DB, 3xF both feet 25kg dipping belt

Well, press and bench fucking sucked this week, only managed 1 extra rep of each at work weight. I still done okay on assistance especially on bench day (elbow held through as well) but that really doesn't matter. I think I'm going to switch back to strength on dips (go for 3x5) and prob reduce reps on incline press as well. Might actually do this more throughout the other days, I'm thinking do it all the time except deload week and do high reps then.

I enjoyed deadlift day, took the weights down to the garage so I could allow for a harder landing. Squats are getting REAL tough now. Last rep at 115kg was a killer, and at 127.5kg I could barely get the bar on my back...

My mixed grip wasn't balanced, hence the awful 4th rep.

No hang cleans this week. I remember back when I injured my shoulder with them the first time and I'm getting that same dull pain in my whole upper arm/shoulder area. Nowhere near as bad, but I also don't want it to get worse. It was pretty annoying during bench day, especially on dips.

Not a great week but brightside - first set of deads over 300lbs. And PBs all round.