282lbs. and wants to get Lean!

Guest shayallen

Hey I am new to forum and have found all this info very helpful! I have been a vegetarian for 3+ years consuming lots of eggs and dairy until about two weeks ago when I read a book called "Skinny Bastard" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin which shed some light on the eggs and dairy industry. The very next morning I was a vegan! I have a long history of weight training... I played offensive line at Auburn University in the mid 90's so I been into lifting weight form the age of 16 or so. My main goals here is to drop some body fat, I am 6'4" and weigh 282 lbs. My current measurements are chest 50in. biceps 19.5in.( 20in. if I add an extra arm day for 3 or 4 weeks) waist 39 in. I currently lift 3 days(can't do much leg stuff many knee surgery's) run 2 days and do yoga once a week . I look forward to getting to know some of you and learning a lot about being a vegan!

_-7.jpg.87803a77612676e020387d59280bccb1.jpg

Welcome! I just had my husband read Skinny Bastard yesterday. He had already chosen to be vegan, but I wanted him to have some solid information instead of just listening to what I tell him.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the forum, good luck with reaching your goals!

DUDE; with your frame / lbm and current path.. you're gonna make some trememdnous progress. If you have any specific quests feel free to ask. Rory's book inspired Jimi Sitko (fellow competitor 'octopussior') go vegan as well. Very inspiring as will be hearing our your goals being met one after another. Welcome to the forum

Hey I am new to forum and have found all this info very helpful! I have been a vegetarian for 3+ years consuming lots of eggs and dairy until about two weeks ago when I read a book called "Skinny Bastard" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin which shed some light on the eggs and dairy industry. The very next morning I was a vegan! I have a long history of weight training... I played offensive line at Auburn University in the mid 90's so I been into lifting weight form the age of 16 or so. My main goals here is to drop some body fat, I am 6'4" and weigh 282 lbs. My current measurements are chest 50in. biceps 19.5in.( 20in. if I add an extra arm day for 3 or 4 weeks) waist 39 in. I currently lift 3 days(can't do much leg stuff many knee surgery's) run 2 days and do yoga once a week . I look forward to getting to know some of you and learning a lot about being a vegan!

Welcome, and congratulations on going vegan. I hope and think you'll find that this is a great community that can give you all the help and support you need to both stay vegan and learn more.

Good1Use.gif.24770e5a59a17eb212b934aa7959c17e.gif

I bet you knock your fat calories down to about 10% and you'll be big ripped fast. One way to do it is just eat all raw fruit and green leafy veggies-its what I do. Those big muscles will be burstin at the seams in no time. Here's me doin High Intensity lifting about ONE HOUR a week one year shy of fifty. In my experience, diet is key to gettin ripped especially for someone like you who is already carrying plenty of muscle.

RawVgn, the Introductions section isn't the appropriate place to push a raw food diet. There are plenty of people with 10% bodyfat who aren't raw foodist or vegan for that matter.

Thanks so much for the welcome guys! I am very excited about the new diet. I also gave up coffee after reading her book as well which I thought was going to be harder than it was. I am going to have to change some habits or get used to doing some things differently. I have noticed I eat too many servings of grains each day. So I think I am going to have to get used to and eating more fruits and veggies. I try to get around 200g of protein a day and I know most people would suggest more than that but I keep a lot of muscle no matter what I do! I once had a trainer tell me "You picked your parents very well!" My goal is to get down to 250Lbs so here is my current workout:

Monday: Chest, Tris and abs

Tuesday: Back, Bis and abs

Wednesday: Run 40 min.

Thursday: Shoulders, tris and abs

Friday: Yoga

Saturday: off (go to farmers market for organic veggies)

Sunday: 40 min run

All workouts are fast paced and intense and I am limited on how much cardio I can do by knee injuries. I would love to have your thoughts...

Thanks for all the reply's and I look forward to getting to know you guys... thanks

Hey 4x4

The man is asking for suggestions to get lean. I told him the fastest simplest way I know to do it. He looks old enough to make up his own mind to me.

You don't wanna lose weight too fast though. Doing so will catabolize the muscles and you'll end up with a lot of loose skin.

Forget the cardio man (why beat up your knees cause your gonna need em for a long long time). I don't do any. If your fat content is kept under 10%, you won't need any cardio to get way leaner than you are. Of course eating that low of fat content can seem pretty odd when your not used to it.

Forget the cardio man (why beat up your knees cause your gonna need em for a long long time). I don't do any. If your fat content is kept under 10%, you won't need any cardio to get way leaner than you are. Of course eating that low of fat content can seem pretty odd when your not used to it.

disagree. Even though he will get good results by moderating diet skipping cardio is a definite mistake imo. There is not one single good reason to not train your organ muscles in addition to your skeletal. Not only do they work synergistically but you would be doing your body and most importantly your health and wellness a great justice. eh ehhhhh BOOM that's what it's all about!

Thanks guys! I cant do much legs because of knee injuries and when I start doing even leg presses they hurt... I started doing triathlons a few years ago and did like 18 of them in 2.5 yrs and when I stopped I kept running a couple times a week and my knees do better if I run just a couple times a week at 75-80% HR. If I stop they bother me. I despise any type cardio in the gym! thanks for the feedback!

disagree. Even though he will get good results by moderating diet skipping cardio is a definite mistake imo. There is not one single good reason to not train your organ muscles in addition to your skeletal. Not only do they work synergistically but you would be doing your body and most importantly your health and wellness a great justice. eh ehhhhh BOOM that's what it's all about!

QFT. It's very important to keep your heart in good shape, and he'll achieve better results while doing cardio too. The only time a person should avoid cardio is if they are an ectomorph trying to bulk. Even then you can still do some, but should keep it to a min 15 minutes a session and only do a max of 3 times a week.

Shay definitely isn't an ectomorph though. He's got very nice musculature.

I used to have a really bad elbow/wrist that prevented me from lifting real hard. Doctors couldn't figure is out; they MRId it, Xrays, everything. They could see the swelling but said they had no idea what was causing it. I lived with it for two years including several trips to the hospital for cortisone/pain killer injections. At 47, I figured that's just the way it was gonna be. Very unexpectedly, a week or 2 after switching to a low protein raw diet the pain started subsiding. Within 6 weeks it was gone (along with several other chronic problems I had suffered from for decades.) If you ever get a chance to try a low-fat raw diet, you may be amazed at how your body regains its fuller health. If you hang out in a raw forum sometime (vegsource.com Dr Graham), you'll hear many first hand accounts similiar to mine. You just might be amazed at what is really slowin you down (hey got everything to gain and little to lose if it turns out not to work). I was...would never have imagined my vegan/omni diet was the cause of my pain.

Yeh, I agree some cardio's a good thing, but it's a lowsy way to control weight or get lean; way to much work when you can get 90% of the leaness with 10% of the effort from nutrition; I love gettin bang for the buck, though I know my style won't quite produce pro results-it will produce A LOT from very little effort though. I actually went runnin the other day for the first time in months; I guess wind sprints qualify; efficiency enthusiast at work. I can run like crazy; I guess that's why I rarely bother with it. I basically never get tired doing routine activities like walkin or workin, so I tend to just blow it off. It does feel good occasionally though, and I'm sure its good for my heart.