Master Cleanse

Master Cleanse is a detox consisting of fresh lemon juice, grade b maple syrup and cayenne pepper. I did 2 years ago for a week and felt fantastic. I'm thinking of doing it again, and I wanted to know if anyone else has done it or what folks opinions are of detox diets/juice fasts.

It actually tastes great and you do stay pretty full (as long as you drink enough of them). However, it's hard to keep up on really demanding workout stuff. You'd have to take a break from fitness most likely for the week that you do it. There is also an online forum group just like this for it too.

Did it for 11 days... turned vegan after it and became paranoid about everything I ate... was as low as 128lbs. at one point and looked like a frail skeleton... was pissed off with how I looked and how weak I was so took up weights seriously for the first time in 7 years... started eating meat again... gained 30lbs in 7 months... look awesome... am back at this forum to discover how to bring vegan options back and still gain lean MASS.

Oh ya, don't think I'll ever do the cleanse again... totally unnecessary. What do you think our liver is for?

Unless you eat pure organic and raw food 24/7 there is some crap accumulating in your system. Maybe it's not true for everyone but it was true for me because I was able to ditch a lot of it when I cleansed (if you catch my drift).

I do a similar fast every year, at least I try to. Sometimes I only go 3 days, most I ever did was 8. It's great for your body, really gives you a chance to heal/repair things that tend to get lesser priority.

One year I just couldn't shake a constant low-grade cold/flu infection I kept getting. I'd feel better and then a week or two later, bam, get sick again. So I did the fast and got better... the illness didn't come back. I think my body just needed the rest from the hard work of constantly digesting and as soon as I gave it the rest, it was able to divert energy to finally fighting that bug off for good.

Personally I like to take herbal supplements during the fast as well that stimulate liver cleansing and colon cleansing/parasite cleansing. Very important to take probiotics immediately after a colon cleanse though.

totally unnecessary. What do you think our liver is for?

Well, for starters, there are many toxins that your liver is incapable of neutralizing. So to protect the body, the liver stores them. These build up over time and can cause liver disease.

Secondly, cleansing does a lot more than cleanse toxins from your liver. It's also good for your colon, kidneys, and immune system among others.

If you don't want to do it that's your choice but to say it's totally unnecessary isn't accurate. It's a very helpful thing for many people who take the time to do it right.

Well, for starters, there are many toxins that your liver is incapable of neutralizing. So to protect the body, the liver stores them. These build up over time and can cause liver disease.

I think for a healthy individual who takes care of themselves and eats right this is of little concern. The daily onslaught of a poor diet, alcohol, drugs, etc. are what contribute most to liver disease. For these people, a 10 day cleanse of maple syrup, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper will not solve their problems... they need a total lifestyle change.

Secondly, cleansing does a lot more than cleanse toxins from your liver. It's also good for your colon, kidneys, and immune system among others.

Again, I think a healthy lifestyle is what supports all of those, not a 10 day cleanse.

If you don't want to do it that's your choice but to say it's totally unnecessary isn't accurate. It's a very helpful thing for many people who take the time to do it right.

I did it right, for 11 days. I don't think going to such extremes is necessary and actually can do more harm to the body than good. I'd be open to other types of fasting for shorter periods in the future... but I won't do this one again.

I should note that it was an amazing test of discipline and it did help me kick some bad eating habits to the curb. I have no regrets. I just think the benefits I did achieve could be attained without putting the body under so much stress.

Again, I think a healthy lifestyle is what supports all of those, not a 10 day cleanse.

Certainly, I would agree. But there are also things that are outside of our control. Air pollution, water pollution, toxins from plastics all around us, and any other number of sources contribute toxins to our bodies. You can't simply eat well, not smoke, not drink and expect to be free of toxins and pollutants.

I would also agree slightly that 10 days is pushing the limit on what I'd consider healthy. As I said the longest I ever went was 8. Personally I think 3-5 days is ideal, with 7 being the longest I'd probably do now.

I've been curious about the master cleanse for over a year now and I have to say I'm getting closer and closer to contemplating doing it. I wouldn't mind around 5 days, but I see a lot of websites say that the MINIMUM should be 10. I don't think I want to go that long though...do you guys think I would get the same benefit with doing a "mini" cleanse?

Also, my partner was talking about doing a cleanse as well, but he was thinking more of the ones where you eat healthy (he is an omni plus he does eat a LOT more processed food than I do) and then take the cleansing teas. I'm assuming these are just laxatives? Is there a cleansing benefit to that?

I've been curious about the master cleanse for over a year now and I have to say I'm getting closer and closer to contemplating doing it. I wouldn't mind around 5 days, but I see a lot of websites say that the MINIMUM should be 10. I don't think I want to go that long though...do you guys think I would get the same benefit with doing a "mini" cleanse?

Yes... you're still giving your body a rest from digesting for a significant amount of time, and 5 days is enough time to clean out the colon pretty well.

Also, my partner was talking about doing a cleanse as well, but he was thinking more of the ones where you eat healthy (he is an omni plus he does eat a LOT more processed food than I do) and then take the cleansing teas. I'm assuming these are just laxatives? Is there a cleansing benefit to that?

Yes. Good cleansing teas will be more than laxatives, they'll also have liver and kidney cleansing herbs in them. This stimulates your liver to release stored up toxins, which in the short-term can make you feel like crap or produce adverse side effects, but once you rid yourself of them, you'll be healthier. So make sure, both of you, do things like epsom salt baths, saunas are good as sweat carries toxins out with it, and take fiber to bind up the toxins and eliminate them through bowel movements.