hemp protein drink - suggestions?

xjonfastx

I whip up a hemp protein drink around bed time. So far I have been using "plain" soy milk and hemp powder. The taste is very bland as you can imagine and much of the hemp seems to settle at the bottom of the cup very quickly.

I am going to try using vanilla flavored soy milk in hopes that it might liven up the drink a little.

Any suggestions on what else to add to it?

I drink these often:

couple frozen strawberries

frozen cherries

frozen pineapple

1/2 tsp spirulina (optional)

sunflower seeds

splash of orange juice (seems to always mask the bland powder taste)

water

protein

frozen mangos

frozen pineapple

splash of orange juice or lemon juice

sunflower seeds

pepitas

protein

water

shouldn't the fat from the seeds/nuts help regulate the insulin spike? I admit over the last few years i've stopped being so critical of macro-nutrition, and just started eating.

If you dont' want any carbs in it, I dont' know if you have many options. One thing you could try to put a bit of flavour in it, is to by vega (or similar product.) Its fairly expensive, so you could just had 1/4-1/2 serving to your hemp drink you make to add a bit of flavour without bankrupting yourself.

If it doesn't taste good, that's your body telling you it's not food. Trust your senses-they're there for a reason.

And high blood sugar is not caused by sugar; it's caused by fat in the blood coating the insulin receptors which slows down the transport of sugar to fuel the cells causing sugar to backup in the blood stream. If you have problems with high blood sugar, the solution is to reduce your fat consumption so you can transport and burn fuel (sugar) efficiently. Eating fats like peanut butter is the last thing you want to do.

One thing I use and forgot to mention is those sugar free coffee syrups that come in a zillion flavors now. They are like $5 a bottle if you get them on sale. I even add them to oatmeal sometimes when I get tired of the oatmeal bland flavor.

If it doesn't taste good, that's your body telling you it's not food. Trust your senses-they're there for a reason.

And high blood sugar is not caused by sugar; it's caused by fat in the blood coating the insulin receptors which slows down the transport of sugar to fuel the cells causing sugar to backup in the blood stream. If you have problems with high blood sugar, the solution is to reduce your fat consumption so you can transport and burn fuel (sugar) efficiently. Eating fats like peanut butter is the last thing you want to do.

THAT is actually dangerous advice.

This guy is not a doctor.

High blood sugar can be caused by sugar. If you doubt this, talk to people who have almost died from too much sugar throwing them into a diabetic coma.

Also, it is not true that if something does not automatically taste delicious, your body does not recognize it as food... ever since humans have been alive, they've been taking in substances that don't necessarily taste pleasant as food. For instance, foods that are bitter can be very good for the digestion. Ages of wisdom and consistently verified scientific research are trustable. As always, use your best judgment sensibly.

RawVgn, I really wish you would stop hijacking so many threads on this board to hammer your weirdo agenda, and especially don't offer any more medical advice please.

PS thank you for not posting a naked picture of yourself in this thread too.

xjonfastx,

I like to mix my hemp with tomato, parsley or kale, maybe some herbs like basil or mint, a squirt of lemon or lime, ginger and possibly some cayenne, and salt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

wtf?

THAT is actually dangerous advice.

This guy is not a doctor.

High blood sugar can be caused by sugar. If you doubt this, talk to people who have almost died from too much sugar throwing them into a diabetic coma.

Also, it is not true that if something does not automatically taste delicious, your body does not recognize it as food... ever since humans have been alive, they've been taking in substances that don't necessarily taste pleasant as food. For instance, foods that are bitter can be very good for the digestion. Ages of wisdom and consistently verified scientific research are trustable. As always, use your best judgment sensibly.

RawVgn, I really wish you would stop hijacking so many threads on this board to hammer your weirdo agenda, and especially don't offer any more medical advice please.

PS thank you for not posting a naked picture of yourself in this thread too.

xjonfastx,

I like to mix my hemp with tomato, parsley or kale, maybe some herbs like basil or mint, a squirt of lemon or lime, ginger and possibly some cayenne, and salt.

" title="Applause" />

Oh, I totally forgot, cocoa plus some peppermint oil is awesome for most shakes.

mmmm... that sounds so good.