Steve Colbert Show not funny...

RAINRA

I cant' watch the video cuz I'm not in the U.S.A but I'm gonna say one thing:

Stephen Colbert is a comedian. It's his JOB to be funny. People watch his show because they want to laugh. Honestly, he's a really funny guy and I'm a big fan.

Even when addressed serious issues, he's gonna crack jokes. It's what he gets paid to do.

What was the video about anyways?

search youtube it be on there.. first time watching a Colbert interview. Why does he rip on serious issues that need support and not mocking. The world already hates bad news about their sad diet why make it sound ok to eat degraded food and killing animals as so absolutly just fine and cool.

search youtube it be on there.. first time watching a Colbert interview. Why does he rip on serious issues that need support and not mocking. The world already hates bad news about their sad diet why make it sound ok to eat degraded food and killing animals as so absolutly just fine and cool.

He's a satirist. He's playing a character and making fun of that character, not the guest.

I guess I don't get the satire in meat slaughter... contaminated food. It is just a bit sensitive for me. Don't appreciate jokes of any kind on the fact that more than 10 billion animals who are happy creatures by nature have to be horribly tortured brutalized and often skinned alive. Man everytime I think of it or see clips on it I think this is some messed up sh$$.

No offense but I don't think you're understanding what satire is... The character that Stephen Colbert plays is deliberately obtuse and ridiculous. He pretends to be a crazy right-wing media talking head (think Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly) so he can make fun of those people, not because he agrees with it.

So when he has Eric Schlosser on his show to talk about his book, he's not making fun of or making light of meat slaughter, he's making fun of people who defend agribusiness by pretending to be one of them while he plays a character. That's satire, and the most brilliant satire is so brilliant because the people being satirized (in this case, the people who would defend agribusiness) don't even realize that they're actually the punch line to an elaborate joke.

The joke is not "haha agribusiness is awesome" it's "haha douchebags who think agribusiness are awesome are stupid idiots."

No offense but I don't think you're understanding what satire is... The character that Stephen Colbert plays is deliberately obtuse and ridiculous. He pretends to be a crazy right-wing media talking head (think Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly) so he can make fun of those people, not because he agrees with it.

So when he has Eric Schlosser on his show to talk about his book, he's not making fun of or making light of meat slaughter, he's making fun of people who defend agribusiness by pretending to be one of them while he plays a character. That's satire, and the most brilliant satire is so brilliant because the people being satirized (in this case, the people who would defend agribusiness) don't even realize that they're actually the punch line to an elaborate joke.

The joke is not "haha agribusiness is awesome" it's "haha douchebags who think agribusiness are awesome are stupid idiots."

But I dont think your understanding that Rainra understands satire but is concerned that the very morons or douchbags Colbert is making fun of wont get it and view this as positive reinforcement. We are all happy that he is giving exposure to the movie, and that we are all laughing at the butts of the jokes. Now I find his interviews obvious and not very entertaining. I think he is quite good, but he seldoms leads in to the fixes for the problems he is satirizing. In this instance how would someone find places that dont do this? Advocacy groups to help that average consumer who is busy with his or her job find the line back to factory farms that feed the multiple product lines.

But I dont think your understanding that Rainra understands satire but is concerned that the very morons or douchbags Colbert is making fun of wont get it and view this as positive reinforcement.

Perhaps, and if that's the case, fair enough, but based on his comments I was led to believe that he was simply not getting the nature of the joke.

However, as far as the morons not getting that they're being satirized, that is actually very true and what makes it such great satire. The Bush Administration actually invited Colbert to speak at the Whitehouse Correspondent's Dinner in 2006, where he proceeded to absolutely roast the administration and their toadies in the mainstream media in one of the most classic comedy acts of all time, because the people who invited him didn't realize he was actually mocking them every night on his show.

http://www.jackandjillpolitics.com/2009/05/for-me-at-the-correspondents-dinner-the-gold-standard-is-still-colbert-in-2006/

Morons will be morons and whether or not they realize they're the butt of Colbert's jokes won't change that, so we might as well have a laugh at their expense.

Well said.

Oh ok well I never watch that show and saw this kinda peridy and thought it was really not funny. I think though the way he acted to Schlosser's comments as typical answers of people who could careless about all that. Even though it is suppose to be humorous it just frustrates me more than makes me laugh. Cause those responses Colber responded are quite good answers to making someone like schlosser no know what to say.

Kinda like if you went to someone and told them ... hey animals are terribly treated in farms... the person would respond ... SO !

It basically give you know more room to explain because the person made up their mind and they don't really care what you have to say. I felt that giving that view point might register with audiences and they too might be like yeah ... SO who cares about factory farms ... that is just the way it is now... so accept it.

Not saying Colber is a bad comedian. I see what you guys mean just the situation would lead others to answer probably in the same way.