Bench Press Technique

xphilx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3t6T-nqP0

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dave_tates_sixweek_bench_press_cure

since we're talking so much about squat technique in the other thread i thought it would be cool to have a thread about benching, too.

and i hope this time more people agree with me that the shown form is a good one.

i hope this time more people agree with me that the shown form is a good one.

If your fed allows you to bench without heels on the ground

Have to say I'm enjoying the real lifting talk on this site recently, makes a nice chance from low-carb diets and tanning oil

I rarely bench because OHP is more fun, but I keep my heels on the ground when I bench and never use a grip wider than shoulder width.

I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of benching with heels on or off the ground. It seems like people start federations with lax rules, wider bench grips, higher squats, etc... because they couldn't win in other feds with stricter rules.

I've never competed nor do I want too.

It's actually quite fun to do IF you don't take it too seriously - I think everyone who enjoys strength sports should do it at some point in time just to know what it's like. Just getting out there and moving heavy weight with a bunch of like-minded meatheads (faux meat more PC considering the forum? ) is a blast on its own.

Look for smaller comps that are either unequipped powerlifting (or, something like SLP or USAPL with minimal gear) or strongman events, as both are fun when they're not overrun by flame-beaning wearing triple-ply squat suited behemoths

It's actually quite fun to do IF you don't take it too seriously - I think everyone who enjoys strength sports should do it at some point in time just to know what it's like. Just getting out there and moving heavy weight with a bunch of like-minded meatheads (faux meat more PC considering the forum? ) is a blast on its own.

Look for smaller comps that are either unequipped powerlifting (or, something like SLP or USAPL with minimal gear) or strongman events, as both are fun when they're not overrun by flame-beaning wearing triple-ply squat suited behemoths

I refuse to spend time practicing bench pressing anymore than a few sets a year although close grip benching is a good assistive exercise for OHP.

I'd be at a disadvantage in comp squatting because I squat deep, I refuse to squat anywhere near paralell, I have long limbs and a long torso @ 6' 1"; most lifters I've seen in the 198lb weight division are midgets. Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Strongman events sound like a interesting possiblity in the future. I'd get to log press.

Edit: Actually I don't know if my torso is long. My limbs and body are long and I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Anonymous

Have to say I'm enjoying the real lifting talk on this site recently, makes a nice chance from low-carb diets and tanning oil

don't tell me you're benching 150kg with you feet on the bench?! i wouldn't be able to balance 80kg with my feet on the bench.

don't tell me you're benching 150kg with you feet on the bench?! i wouldn't be able to balance 80kg with my feet on the bench.

Pretty sure he's talking about the difference between benching with the feet flat on the floor (heels in contact with the ground) versus benching with only the balls of the feet on the floor. Some (most?) powerlifting federations require the entire foot to be in contact with the ground.

The Tate video is really good. Thanks for posting it, I haven't seen that one anywhere before. The muscletech video wasn't bad either. It's hard to pack a lot into 60 seconds, but it seemed solid to me. My bench press is terrible, maybe some of this stuff will help me out

Pretty sure he's talking about the difference between benching with the feet flat on the floor (heels in contact with the ground) versus benching with only the balls of the feet on the floor. Some (most?) powerlifting federations require the entire foot to be in contact with the ground.

The Tate video is really good. Thanks for posting it, I haven't seen that one anywhere before. The muscletech video wasn't bad either. It's hard to pack a lot into 60 seconds, but it seemed solid to me. My bench press is terrible, maybe some of this stuff will help me out

okay, didn't get that. than it's not so shoking anymore.

yeah i like that vid, too. i think it helped me pretty much.

What is your opinion about the rom of bench press?

I read somewhere that the bar should not come too close to the chest cause the shoulder joints are being destroyed..

That's just a phoney justification given by lifters whose ego gets in the way of them lowering the bar to their chest

Phil - I bench with my feet on the floor. Never tried just the toes but that's not for powerlifting reasons, just never crossed my mind. Feet in the air or on the bench is worthless, why deny yourself stability?

I bench with my feet on the floor. Never tried just the toes but that's not for powerlifting reasons, just never crossed my mind. Feet in the air or on the bench is worthless, why deny yourself stability?

totally agree with you. i don't get why almost every guy at my gym is doing the bench press with their feet in the air or on the bench. i mean, how could anyone think that an exercise is better with less stability?!

My personal opinion is to keep feet flat(drill with the heels) and keep your head down on the bench as well as your back not looking like a McDonalds arch being way up in the air.

A lot of people who say you must touch your chest with the bar have a tendency to bounce off their chest as well. Do what works for you.

A lot of people who say you must touch your chest with the bar have a tendency to bounce off their chest as well.

That's true, but actually both methods (stopping short and bouncing) are attempts to use more weight than you can bench full ROM and both are somewhat dangerous.

When you stop short you risk the bar dropping into a range you never work and where you are weaker anyway. This is prime pec tear territory.

If you have a physical reason you can't bring the bar to the chest you should make the distance you are comfortable benching to explicit. Use a board or a foam press. As an upside this will help you resist the temptation to put your short ROM bench numbers up on internet forums as "how much I can bench".

Regarding arch - I don't think a huge powerlifting arch is beneficial for general training, but you should have a slight arch. It helps you keep tension and without it the bottom position of the bench is so weak it will limit the gains you can get.

If you don't have something of an arch, I'd think that pushing through the heels would just raise the arse off the bench.

I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of benching with heels on or off the ground. It seems like people start federations with lax rules, wider bench grips, higher squats, etc... because they couldn't win in other feds with stricter rules.

The advantage of having your heels on the ground is that it arches your back and opens up your chest.

I've recently discovered a technique which takes this principle even further. I push the bench right up and only rest my shoulders on the bench to press. Its like the position which many people adopt to do heavy bumbell pullovers and I love the way it feels. Opening up the chest will ensure a wider peck muscle and you wont just have this bunches up narrow muscle thing going off in the middle of your pecks

If you won't to see pictures you can download a free sample of the book I have at this link, it includes the bench press although only done with DB's in these pictures:

http://www.fitstep.com/freebooks/the-best-exercises-free.pdf