Training for a 5k

Nightingale

I've just recently started running (about 3 weeks now) and for about a week my knee has been hurting every time I try to run or even walk fast. I'm trying to improve my times for a 5k, but with this knee problem I can't seem to do more than a mile before the pain is unbearable. I've been told just to go longer at a much slower pace but I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything when I do that. Does anyone have any other suggestions?? Thanks in advance!!

Shoes? Have you been fitted for shoes? They can really make all the difference. I have very high arches and my feet pronate. My right leg more than the other, and if I run in unsupportive shoes for a few weeks, my right knee starts to hurt. If you can find a specialty running store near you, there will probably be someone who can look at your feet, watch you run, and help you. I've been to a few, but the coolest one had a treadmill, they put you in a pair of neutral shoes, and videotaped your feet while you were running. Very cool, and you see how your feet move and it kind of explains why your knee might be hurting.

Worth a shot. Oh, but those places can be pretty expensive. I usually do buy my shoes from them, but you could always go, find the pair you want, and then order them online, or find them cheaper somewhere else.

I did get some shoes but I'm thinking I might have to get some different ones. My regular shoes were uncomfortable for my feet but didn't hurt my knee. The running shoes, however, felt better but caused my knee to hurt. I can't win!

I think I might use my other shoes for a little while.

Thanks!