Is soy milk bad for you?

Is soy milk bad for you?

Hello people!The other day I went into this "soy is bad for you" mass-hysteria thing and as anybody who know how this world works I said to myself ok,lets think about it for a minute..

Aren't all these statements coming from people who tells you that eating animal products is good and necessary for you?

Aren't we living in a world,a system based on economy and profit were they don't do the people's interest,but they make the profit the only goal?

Isn't it that we can't and shouldn't trust these people?

Isn't that unless we research by ourselves we'll never be sure if they're telling the truth or just making business as usual?

On the other hand if really soy is so bad for sure I'd like to know,so I can switch to ricemilk or something else(even though it will be more expensive)

Let me know what you think!

What makes the "Green Smoothy Girl" an authority? Is she a biochemist or just a cute blogger who read a book?

I couldn't help but notice that your blog also discusses diet. Are you a biochemist?

Green Smoothie Girl is right on the money about a lot of things and her ideas for living healthier are great. If it weren't for her site, my smoothies would still be free of kale and flax seed oil, both of which I believe contribute a lot to my health and well being. I now avoid white bread. She is someone who has lived a healthy lifestyle for years and does a great job of explaining what are normally complicated concepts in a way that we simpletons can understand. Just because she's not a biochemist doesn't mean she doesn't have valid ideas to offer about how to live the healthiest lifestyle possible.

That article by "Green Smoothie Girl" is, frankly, pure bullshit. Even such people as Lyle McDoanld and John Berardi now agree that soy is perfectly fine (and probably even beneficial) when consumed in moderation. Soy does NOT lower testosterone and it does NOT cause thyroid problems (if iodine intake is sufficient to begin with).

Soy Formula by Jack Norris

Soy: What's the Big Deal? by John Berardi and Ryan Andrews

Effects of Soy Protein and Soybean Isoflavones on Thyroid Function in Healthy Adults and Hypothyroid Patients - Research Review by Lyle McDonal

I'd really like this anti-soy nonsense to finally go away

What makes the "Green Smoothy Girl" an authority? Is she a biochemist or just a cute blogger who read a book?

I couldn't help but notice that your blog also discusses diet. Are you a biochemist?

I am not a biochemist and I never claimed to be.

When I publish anything about nutrition on my blog it is from or points to credible authoritative sources. People with degrees, scientific credentials, affiliated with research organizations, etc. I didn't read her whole blog, but I didn't see any justification for her extreme views beyond "look at me I'm healthy".

In my opinion that isn't enough. I've met plenty of people with literally ignorant views about nutrition and fitness who look healthy at the moment.

If you want to protect your health (and avoid being a sucker in your life ) a good question to start asking yourself is

"How does this person know what they claim to know?"

If the answer to that question is only anecdotal accounts, divine inspiration, "just because" or no answer at all you might want to consider getting more opinions and repeating that question for each one.

I don't think that just because someone doesn't have degree in nutrition (in fact, it's better if they don't, because if they do they're probably just repeating false information they were taught in college) doesn't mean it's not worth looking at what he or she has to say. Dr. Fuhrman says things that are very contrary to the most common opinion among doctors (that diet has no effect) and I feel much better when eating the high nutrient foods he recommends.

Sometimes the best answer to your question ("How does this person know what they claim to know?") is through personal experience. Someone who has gone down the junk food route and experienced disease and sickness, then watched it all fade away by eating a healthier diet and living a generally healthier lifestyle.

(in fact, it's better if they don't, because if they do they're probably just repeating false information they were taught in college)

This

is fucking stupid. I lawld.

This

is fucking rude. I rolled my eyes.

Yeah you were rude to my education and my future work. It's obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. If you prefer non-educated people that's your issue, go see smoothie girl when you have a serious physiological problem, but don't make stupid comments like that.

Yeah you were rude to my education and my future work. It's obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. If you prefer non-educated people that's your issue, go see smoothie girl when you have a serious physiological problem, but don't make stupid comments like that.

I believe you're confusing education with schooling. A common error in the 21st century.

I actually much prefer educated people, so I seek out those who avoid school.

One sign of a non educated person is someone who resorts to calling comments that he or she does not agree with stupid without explaining why.

I believe you're confusing education with schooling. A common error in the 21st century.

One sign of a non educated person is someone who resorts to calling comments that he or she does not agree with stupid without explaining why.

I'm not confusing anything acctually. I think you made a huge generalisation about "schooling" and/or "educations" that was totally out of place. If you ever get diagnosed with cancer or maybe something more harmless like clamydia, would you not go to a doctor, or at least a pharmacologist? If not, it really is your loss.

If that's your sign of non educated people I would advice you to find a better detecting system to avoid them. I do not see what needs to be explained, I think college educations in nutrition are great and I trust doctors and dieticians much more than a random blog person or a person in a health food store etc. Teachings about nutritional physiology and other human physiology is important if we ever want to understand various diseases. Personally it really bothers me that people with no education or someone with a weekend course diploma can get as much credit as they sometimes get since they often do not comprehend even the most essential things in nutrition, health and disease.

I'm not confusing anything acctually. I think you made a huge generalisation about "schooling" and/or "educations" that was totally out of place. If you ever get diagnosed with cancer or maybe something more harmless like clamydia, would you not go to a doctor, or at least a pharmacologist? If not, it really is your loss.

What are you, crazy? I'd immediately go to someone who has heard about cancer treatments, but has no formal schooling. If it got really bad, maybe I'd seek out someone who has read a book about cancer, fictional or non.

Sometimes the best answer to your question ("How does this person know what they claim to know?") is through personal experience. Someone who has gone down the junk food route and experienced disease and sickness, then watched it all fade away by eating a healthier diet and living a generally healthier lifestyle.

And you know what's even better than one person's personal experience? The aggregate experiences of many, many people, effectively controlled and measured. It's called scientific experimentation, and it's where the data supporting soy comes from.

The experience of a single person, or even of a few people, is not enough to accurately extrapolate to a larger group.

And you know what's even better than one person's personal experience? The aggregate experiences of many, many people, effectively controlled and measured. It's called scientific experimentation, and it's where the data supporting soy comes from.

The experience of a single person, or even of a few people, is not enough to accurately extrapolate to a larger group.

This is true.

I saw the nasty exchange you had a few posts down.

Since you value true education, I will tell you that anecdotal stories are considered to be weak evidence, if considered to be evidence at all. If you want to improve further on being truly educated you can do a lot by reading up on why anecdotal stories are not valued as evidence.

I saw the nasty exchange you had a few posts down.

Since you value true education, I will tell you that anecdotal stories are considered to be weak evidence, if considered to be evidence at all. If you want to improve further on being truly educated you can do a lot by reading up on why anecdotal stories are not valued as evidence.

Nice user name. Is it a metaphor for where you are in your life right now?

I think that is where 99.9% of us are. Probably 100% for this web board.

So, I read in your exchange with xjohnx that you value true education over learning and you felt like he was far from either since he felt the need to be rude to you. You are attempting to make me feel silly about my alias, which itself is a bit silly as I chose it, on purpose. I'm guessing that your primary motivation in both cases is not true "education" but trying to insult others after you came to feel ignorant.

People are going to rude on the internet, especially when someone makes literally ignorant statements. If that bothers you web boards are probably not the best place to express your opinions.

You shouldn't feel offended, everyone is ignorant about something and at some point, It is not a personality defect. It is simply not knowing. It only becomes a character flaw when you become aware that you are ignorant and choose to remain that way when practical alternatives exist.

When I was a kid my father took me to one of those old fashioned barber shops where old men sat around all day and talked about politics. They used to have a saying "don't believe everything you read just because it is in a newspaper". They were referring to an ignorance many people had in being gullible just because something was in print.

I think the modern version would not to believe what you read just because it is written on a blog and someone has an anecdotal account of a health miracle.

Seriously, if you can't make it to a real library, google around on "anecdotal accounts". Sooner or later you will come to a decent essay explaining why such accounts are not knowledge. Knowing that will likely save you money, time and wasted effort.

I'm bowing out of this thread as trading childish jibes with someone on this board is not where I want to be. Yes, it is my fault for mocking your faith in the "GreenSmoothieGirl". What can I say, I'm imperfect. What you had to say about believing a backward statement about soy made by a credentialess, nameless blogger who had no references for her statement was just so raw I found myself doing it.

I apologize for offending you. Either way, I'm going to let you have the last word. Seriously, google on anecdotal accounts.

Have a good week.

I think that is where 99.9% of us are. Probably 100% for this web board.

So, I read in your exchange with xjohnx that you value true education over learning and you felt like he was far from either since he felt the need to be rude to you. You are attempting to make me feel silly about my alias, which itself is a bit silly as I chose it, on purpose. I'm guessing that your primary motivation in both cases is not true "education" but trying to insult others after you came to feel ignorant.

People are going to rude on the internet, especially when someone makes literally ignorant statements. If that bothers you web boards are probably not the best place to express your opinions.

You shouldn't feel offended, everyone is ignorant about something and at some point, It is not a personality defect. It is simply not knowing. It only becomes a character flaw when you become aware that you are ignorant and choose to remain that way when practical alternatives exist.

When I was a kid my father took me to one of those old fashioned barber shops where old men sat around all day and talked about politics. They used to have a saying "don't believe everything you read just because it is in a newspaper". They were referring to an ignorance many people had in being gullible just because something was in print.

I think the modern version would not to believe what you read just because it is written on a blog and someone has an anecdotal account of a health miracle.

Seriously, if you can't make it to a real library, google around on "anecdotal accounts". Sooner or later you will come to a decent essay explaining why such accounts are not knowledge. Knowing that will likely save you money, time and wasted effort.

I'm bowing out of this thread as trading childish jibes with someone on this board is not where I want to be. Yes, it is my fault for mocking your faith in the "GreenSmoothieGirl". What can I say, I'm imperfect. What you had to say about believing a backward statement about soy made by a credentialess, nameless blogger who had no references for her statement was just so raw I found myself doing it.

I apologize for offending you. Either way, I'm going to let you have the last word. Seriously, google on anecdotal accounts.

Have a good week.

I don't even know this greensmoothiegirl anyways,if she's not selling anything,well..it's actually more reliable than a doctor or an institution..don't forget that we live in a world where everybody is "repeating",very few people know what they are saying,like if I tell you some bloody war in the past didn't actually took place,you don't really know anything for sure(neither do I but I'm playing),but you trust blindly your history book so you will argue with me all day..useless.

We also live in a world driven by ambition,power,profit..don't trust institutions,the people at the very top don't care about you or your family.

peace

oh btw who's that girl?

I don't even know this greensmoothiegirl anyways,if she's not selling anything,well..it's actually more reliable than a doctor or an institution..

You don't seem to know that xjohanx comes from Sweden where doctors do not sell anything and they are not dependent on drug companies in any way. The situation is the same here in Finland.

A girl who blogs has no credibility in health issues and I bet if you went to see her and asked for help for really difficult digestion problems, she'd run away.

A doctor is someone who has the education and licence to treat you properly and if you really think that a girl who blogs is more reliable than someone who spent like 7-8 years of his/her life studying the subject full time then don't call for 911 when you have an emergency. e-mail GreenSmoothieGirl, I bet she'll give you good tips to reattach that severed limb.

I don't even know this greensmoothiegirl anyways,if she's not selling anything,well..it's actually more reliable than a doctor or an institution..

You don't seem to know that xjohanx comes from Sweden where doctors do not sell anything and they are not dependent on drug companies in any way. The situation is the same here in Finland.

A girl who blogs has no credibility in health issues and I bet if you went to see her and asked for help for really difficult digestion problems, she'd run away.

A doctor is someone who has the education and licence to treat you properly and if you really think that a girl who blogs is more reliable than someone who spent like 7-8 years of his/her life studying the subject full time then don't call for 911 when you have an emergency. e-mail GreenSmoothieGirl, I bet she'll give you good tips to reattach that severed limb.

My point is this:there are doctors telling us chemical medicines are good,meat eating is good,there's no need to worry about pollution and all that.they have been feed up with informations,very few doctors had an "Education" and analysed by themselves,tried different methods,alternative medicine ect.

there was a greek guy called Socrates who said "Wisdom is knowing how little we know"