My new motto: Veganism sucks!

aryan

That's right. I am tired of the same old conversations with omnivores, over and over and over. It never changes any minds anyway. So from now on I'm not going to even bother. From now on, being a vegan totally sucks!

Omnivore: "Gee, I'd offer you some of this delicious milk chocolate bar, but it's not vegan. It sure must suck to have such limited options."

Old me: "That's alright, there are plenty of vegan chocolate bars. I have one at home I'm looking forward to, and I like that I can get the same taste in a much healthier and ethical way."

New me: "You're right, there's nothing for me to eat, ever. All the good foods have animal products in them. Being a vegan sucks."

Me: "Hey, sorry, I won't be able to make it in to work today. I have a cold."

Omnivore: "Heh, a cold? Geez, vegans are always getting sick."

Old me: "Well, actually, I rarely get sick, and I don't think my cold has anything to do with my diet."

New me: "You're right, I hate getting sick so much. Being a vegan sucks."

Omnivore: "So, what DO you eat?"

Old me: "There are a lot of things vegans can eat. Basically anything omnivores can eat, there's a vegan version of that, and then some."

New me: "Pretty much nothing. I eat mostly the same things over and over. Being a vegan really sucks."

Omnivore: "Wow, I really admire your commitment to being a vegan. It must be really hard to keep up!"

Old me: "Thank you, but you'd be surprised how easy it is. I eat a wide variety of great tasting food. Now it's a habit... I don't even think about it anymore."

New me: "Thank you, it is really, really, really hard."

I'm tired of trying to defend myself. I'm happy with my lifestyle choices and that's all that matters. I don't need to prove myself to every omnivore who makes some obscene comment. After all, they don't feel the need to defend their lifestyle to me. They don't explain every time they eat a non-vegan food, "Look, I know you probably disagree with my eating of cheese, and I know that I'm supporting the abuse of cows when I eat this, but it's just, I feel scared that people will judge me if I become a vegan and that I won't have as many choices. It's easier for me to just not think about it." So why should I?

From now on, my answer is, you're right. I'm not going to defend myself, veganism sucks, vegans are stupid, I'm an idiot for going this route, yada yada yada, end of story.

Come on don't you giggle a little inside, when people think they know what they are talking about, but infact they know very little about what they are eating, nutrition or health.

Actually it's both funny and sad at the same time.

PS what other people think about you isn't important, only what you think about yourself is important.

Im def limited with what I can eat here in the South. I know what the "other" foods do to you physically and even the addictions that come with eating those foods. But... I save money this way. If you are out with friends and they have one of those "must-have" meals or snacks and you dont have one, by the time you get home or somewhere that will have something for you, you probably wont want it anymore.

It sounds like you are around a lot of judgemental people.

Say smartass things like:

Q: Where do you get your protein?

A: I don't. I don't need any.

Q: So what do you eat?

A: Nothing. I don't eat anything ever.

Q: Don't you ever miss ice cream?

A: Actually, ice cream makes me pee out of my bum.. So not really. OR say: Nope. I've never had it in my entire life.

Stuff like that

Since people think vegans never eat anything good or get protein, we might as well be like "Yeah, you're right. I eat nothing and get zero protein. Weight loss has never been so easy!" Maybe then they'll realize how dumb their questions are.

One guy asked me how I get my protein and I said I keep a jar of cum in the fridge. Lol!

One time this gal I worked with insisted that without consuming meat a person would die. It's been about 10 years now and I'm still not dead. What gives? I did ask her about this and she clammed up and walked off.

Looooooool

Some people I swear...

One time this gal I worked with insisted that without consuming meat a person would die. It's been about 10 years now and I'm still not dead. What gives? I did ask her about this and she clammed up and walked off.

You should try living in Spain..here the level of stupidity, ignorance and closed mindedness is really astounding! EVERYONE is convinced you'll die! It doesn't matter when u say "well I've been at this for nearly 30 years and not dead yet!" They are even incpable of appreciating the heavy load of sarcasm in your voice.

Then I have the aggressive attacks when people find out that my daughter deosn't eat meat. I've been accused of child abuse, despite my daughter clearly being the tallet and strongest in her whole school..I mean she is literally head and shoulders above the rest and at 12 makes me look like a midget (too much spinach I reckon).

Here, they don't know the bare minimum about nutrition, not even the basics! So when they attack you and tell you that you are missing vitamins and minerals etc from your diet, and you ask "Which vitamins are we talking about here?" they don't even know what you are SUPPOSED to be missing. At least in the UK people make some attempt to answer this with something like "protein". Protein is NOT a vitamin I answer. Protein builds muscle so OPEN YOUR FUCKIN EYES AND LOOK AT ME! So now of course they all accuse me of taking steroids because I couldn't possibly have built this much muscle on a vegan diet, could I !!!?¿?¿?¿??

But generally I encourage questions, I know what I'm talking about,. I know I'm right and like the opportunity to prove it. What I can't abide however, is that type of response which you were referring to...when you say something they can't answer they walk off or ignore you. In Spain they are even more annoying than this because they tell you that you are going to die and when u try to defend yourself, they laugh at you smugly, put their finger to their lips and say "Shhhhhuuushhhhh!" really loudly. Then they repeat their origional comments and it goes on like that.

I swear I'm going to kill someone one day..probably my doctor because he shouldn't be such an ignorant prick considering his job and the amount of times he has sent me for blood tests and seen everything come back MORE than adequate.

Seriously, the best place to live for a vegan is the UK. Vegeterianism is presented by the health service as a very healthy option and ignorant comments are few and far between and people generally ask intelligent questions and listen to your answers. Veganism is only one step away really so people are much more accepting and also open minded enough to LISTEN to what you say.

Funnily enough I got so tired of the typical Spanish response that I started acting like recommended in this thread but found to my dismay that people don'¡t appreciate or even recognise sarcasm. So when they say "You're going to DIE" and you say..with your biggest sarcastic grin..."Yep, but i've probably got a few years left until the effects of not eating meat kill me...I'm SO weak and delicate from the lack of meat it's untrue!!" They actually ask you "Well, why do you do it then?" Duh!! I give up!

I should stop insulting the Spanish really because I know I sound racist and in some part of me I'm actually starting to FEEL racist and that's not cool..I don't mind the lack of education but the closed mindedness drives me mad (that on top of the government sponsored animal abuse activities put on free for kids, AND the extreme levels of sexism and racism over here). This is like hell for a vegan..Andalucia sucks! I wish I still didn't understand Spanish because I was much happier before i usderstood what these people were saying!

My biology teacher in high school was one of those paleolithic diet idiot. When she heard I was vegan she walked up to me and said "you can't be vegan, humans can't live without fish. You can live about two years without long chain n-3 fatty acids", everyone in class heard and waited for my reply which simply was "I've been vegetarian for 4 years", she then said "well maybe you're special". I can't believe she was allowed to teach.

My biology teacher in high school was one of those paleolithic diet idiot. When she heard I was vegan she walked up to me and said "you can't be vegan, humans can't live without fish. You can live about two years without long chain n-3 fatty acids", everyone in class heard and waited for my reply which simply was "I've been vegetarian for 4 years", she then said "well maybe you're special". I can't believe she was allowed to teach.

Has your biology teacher ever heard of thing called fish allergy? There are millions of people who never eat fish and they are healthy.

I think she's correct in the concern about EFA's however she like most people are unaware of all sources of such nutrients. My biology teacher in high school was an unemployed banker, so trust me there's less qualified folks teaching this stuff.

I had a couple of biology teachers like that. I wasn't a vegan or vegetarian at the time and I still saw problem with their statements. One teacher had us feel our teeth at the beginning of class. Yes, he actually had us FEEL our TEETH. As if we didn't know two of our teeth were pointed. Goodness.

Also, a bird got caught in some (human placed) netting and he said not to save him because we have to let "nature take its course." Unbelievable.

Another biology teacher talked about "anthropomorphizing." I said that my problem with that concept (attributing human characteristics to non-human animals) is that most of the things we consider to be human characteristics aren't really. It was during a discussion about vegetarianism and I found myself defending it, not intentionally as I was an omnivore at the time, but because everything said against it was so obviously ridiculous and illogical that I just had to speak up.

It was during a discussion about vegetarianism and I found myself defending it, not intentionally as I was an omnivore at the time, but because everything said against it was so obviously ridiculous and illogical that I just had to speak up.

Sounds like that teacher had a pretty damn good way of finding people's latent vegetarian/vegan and making them aware of it! ;D

It's a good thing that our biology teacher was this grey lady with no attitude. We just took care of our class turtles, looked at plants, and she even let me skip the class where thay cut fish open without even thinking about requiring a note from the doctor or something (like i think some teachers actually do) And then we had this lovely vegetarian über-hippie religion teacher who was my favourite teacher of all time and had a huge impact on my life. Now i'm studying to be a (NGO and) youth worker, so i can have the same impact on someone elses life, yay!

Remember, that you guys and grrrls just existing is the best way of fighting against the odd beliefs and stereotypes and myths! Don't give up! Show the biology teachers that they were wrong and you are strong!

Candy you are brilliant like this favorite quote of mine from Albert Camus!

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."~Albert Camus

Remember, that you guys and grrrls just existing is the best way of fighting against the odd beliefs and stereotypes and myths! Don't give up! Show the biology teachers that they were wrong and you are strong!

Allt this about teachers..as a teacher I find it interesting

Things today aren't like when you were in school and sadly due to the politics of teaching, if a teacher says anything not directly to what she/he has to teach from the book, they can lose their job.

Personally, I'm on my final written warning

Allt this about teachers..as a teacher I find it interesting

Things today aren't like when you were in school and sadly due to the politics of teaching, if a teacher says anything not directly to what she/he has to teach from the book, they can lose their job.

Personally, I'm on my final written warning

That's so awful! Who'd want to be a teacher anymore...

I'm so thankful that i live in Finland, because all of the dusty old teachers with their knowledge from like the 60's are retiring, and the new teacher study programme includes kritisism and real thinking.

I don't know how big the part of these topics are in their schooling, but at least in my study programme (NGO and youth work) topics like heteronormacy, globalisation critics, hlbtiq rights, the rights of ethnic (and other) minorities, environmental issues, sexuality and gender are in a big role. Of course this is because, on our campus at least, most of the people are left-wing(ish)/anarchistic and enlightened (and about half are vegetarians, some vegans too), but even our exam books include stuff like Naomi Klein. Our teaching usually isn't about lecturing, it's just us students trying to come to some conclusion on how to make the world a better place

So there's hope to change the world, and i think the best way to do this is by teaching kids how to not grow up to be their parents (by exception to parents who are not stupid) and to question everything. I hope ruz will have the opportunity to free speech without loosing her job, but if she does loose it: welcome to finland! Or youth work is always a good option too! Or politics! And science is on our side "They've" got only myths and beliefs...

I have found that at times its a good idea to be selective about who you let know that you are a vegan/vegetarian , ESPECIALLY at your place of work .

Because ultimately at work you just want to be well liked and get promoted , not debate with your boss if he is right or wrong for eating meat .