Overhead press

I can do OHP 3x8 of 85lbs, but it really compresses my spine in later reps, and also hurts my shoulders a bit. Am I doing something wrong? Can I do barbell shoulder presses instead, or are those not as good?

I like 'em, but they hurt!

Just to ask, are you currently doing your presses seated? Usually, compression is more of an issue with seated presses moreso than standing as it's not the most natural position for your body (when exactly will we ever be lifting anything overhead while sitting down? )

If you're doing them seated, definitely try them standing and see if it makes a difference for comfort. Whether you're using DBs or a barbell, it's a more natural position to be in and won't make the movement any less effective (plus, it lends to adding in variations like push presses, jerks, etc. as well). I personally never do seated presses because it just feels uncomfortable to me, so I've done them standing for the past 5 years and have found it to be best for me.

Also, for DBs, rather than have them totally perpendicular to your head, you might want to bring your elbows forward slightly by 20-30 degrees and see if that makes it feel more natural and comfortable as well.

If you're not doing them seated right now, then feel free to correct me on this and I'll try to help in other ways!

I have the same problem (spine, not shoulders). Currently pressing a mere 32.5kg (barbell) 5x5, standing. My back has a natural arch. It doesn't really hurt but I'm still using light weight. Sometimes I feel after doing a set I need to bend my back forward to 'correct' it. My technique probably blows

I think VeganEssentials covered most of it However, You need to keep your core tight at all times. Also, make sure you squeeze those glutes to eliminate hyper extension of your lower back.

Could be that you're looking at the bar as you push it overhear. That causes people to lean back and end up in quite a weak position.

Try to push the head through as soon as the bar is high enough to allow it, and really drive that bar to lockout.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's coming a bit late, but I've found a really good set of videos going over proper form for overhead press from Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" program at http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Press_Videos. I do overhead presses once per week myself. At some point, Rippetoe does mention that overhead presses will reveal any core strength deficiencies that you have (so keeping your core "tight" will help).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not yet sure how well these compare to militaries, but I really enjoy the javelin thrower press. Learned about it over on Biotestosterone Nation. Basically you do a single arm overhead press with a barbell. There's a lot more grip work involved to balance the barbell vs. a dumbell. (I use the smaller fixed barbells... if you could do this with an oly bar that's an instant WIN.)

The big advantage with these for me is doing it single armed allows much more flexibility with back position. I also used to get a tight back when doing militaries, but not with these. Granted I *am* doing less than half the weight.