Back to basics; 5x5 with only four exercises

I've spent a lot of time trying out various things in the gym, but I'm starting to come around to the idea that maybe I'm just over thinking the whole thing and simpler is better. First off I don't want or need to get "bodybuilder" huge, just build strength and muscle generally, as my main focus is martial arts. In addition to this new and simple weight routine my MA training (3 - 5 days a week) involves extensive calisthenics and cardio conditioning, and I also run about 10-15 miles per week.

So here's what I'm thinking... doing these four exercises three times a week, with core training done separately, as I'll often spend an entire session doing nothing but core.

Squat

Deadlift

Flat bench press

Pull-ups (using negatives when I can't do 5 reps)

It seems to me that this would be all I need. What do you think? Maybe include a shoulder press of some kind?

Personally I think squats and deads for 3x a week each is going to be too much for your back and quads, especially if you are doing martial arts on the other days. Most people who do a 5x5 program do only squats OR deads on each day, and alternate those two each time they lift. It's VERY easy to burn out the body doing heavy compound lifts that often.

Just my 2c....

1. I agree with adding some shoulder work. Ab work is give or take - you're going to get plenty of indirect ab work from squats and deadlifts (and overhead presses, if you do them standing), so that's not as crucial, but add it if you feel it'd do some good.

2. If you're doing this routine 3x/week, I'd say to alternate lighter and heavier days. Doing all-out squats and deadlifts 3x/week will tax just about anyone far beyond what they're able to handle, but putting a lighter day in between (maybe not even 5x5, but doing something like sets of 20 for lighter weight, or, doing things like speed work with doubles at 65% of your max). That would help the problem of burnout from too much compound work.

If I squatted and deadlifted every other day, I'd be burned out in the first week!