Favorite "Golden Era" Bodybuilder?

Great physique, for sure.

Anyone know what his top lifts were? Oh, and a totally ignorant question - was he natural? (not that his physique would be any less impressive if he wasn't)

was he natural? (not that his physique would be any less impressive if he wasn't)

No, I don't think so. His nickname was "The Chemist" supposedly because he took a lot of amino acids and vitamins/supplements, which was rare in those days. I think it may be his nickname for other reasons.

I will say that I believe his physique IS naturally attainable.

was he natural? (not that his physique would be any less impressive if he wasn't)

No, I don't think so. His nickname was "The Chemist" supposedly because he took a lot of amino acids and vitamins/supplements, which was rare in those days. I think it may be his nickname for other reasons.

Yeah, I read up on him on Wikipedia and also thought that he was probably nicknamed "The Chemist" for other reasons than just for taking a lot of supplements

I agree - it isn't grotesque, so it probably can be built... in a lifetime.

This has impressive shape.Robby Robinson

http://www.csencorsi.it/bodybuilders_file/image035.jpg

And this is Mike Mentzer a complete body,

BIG MASS,both in chest and legs, more definition

flat stomach not big like others,great abs,

shape,

artistic posing.

His body is the product of his mind and of his intensity more than DNA and this make him great

(I dont find bigger picuters.If someone has..)

http://i8.tinypic.com/6jwj6g3.jpg http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2105/1582668205_31eaf4a61a.jpg?v=0

CASEY VIATOR great mass in arms...

http://www.oldtimestrongman.com/images13/casey_viator.gif

he got his nickname cause he got a bachelor of science.

of course he wasn't natural and of course you cannot attain that shape and muscularity naturaly.

he is my favorite of the golden age of bodybuilding anyway. perfect symmetry.

http://i39.tinypic.com/aouhkx.jpg

frank zane at the olympia in 1983. he did not even got into the top three which is absolutely ridiculous in my eyes. watch it until the end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTCcPdiefv0

So was there a consensus? Did he actually use roids? No GH gut for sure...

Nobody will ever be able to say yes to that, because it's rare for any person to admit. Also, they didn't use growth hormone in the late 60's/70's, so no gh gut.

whether it is attainable naturally or not, Zanes body is the closest. Body wise he iis more inspiring to the natural or common man bodybuilder. Frank Zane insprired me for 20 years. Soooo personality wise, Arnold, physique wise Zane. Now I should mention that there may be quite a few current bodybuilders who could have been as inspiring if not for the infusion of growth hormone. It just deformed the bodybuilder in my mind.

what I mean is,mentzer had a "total package"

mass chest and legs,definition,abs.

Mentzer trained and eated super.

I think Arnold was more impressive,pectorals and bicpes greats,

but Arnold can be better,mentzer reached his maxinum thanks to balanced nutrition,intensive training and recover...

Mentzer completed his body and his DNA, 100% Arnold not.

Arnold has dna like the modern bodybuilders.

Mentzer trained and eated super. [...]mentzer reached his maxinum thanks to balanced nutrition,intensive training and recover...[...]

WTF??

have you ever read something about mentzers nutrition and especially his pre-competition diet?

And how I can say if a nutrition is good watching the meals?He only know his body.

And how I can know if is right for him do 1 or 2 sets?

He only know his body.

I can say he trains great and eat great,from results mass and definition

and because teach about a complete nutrition all days.

Of course he tryed to eat more balanced than many others.Not ALL others,but many others.

He used volume,intenisty and recover balanced for HIS body better than others did,because he have mass and proportions.

Arnold is more impressive,but mentzer more complete.

EDIT:I see mentzer training videos on youtube,I find more impressive than others.

but Arnold can be better,mentzer reached his maxinum thanks to balanced nutrition,intensive training and recover...

I don't think that it's true that Mentzer somehow achieved perfect potential while Arnold had room to spare.

Again, Mentzer had a great physique, but he wasn't leaps and bounds beyond the rest of the competition. He took parts of other people's works (ala Arthur Jones) and used them to create his own HIT system and claimed it was the "best" way to train. However, many people say that Mentzer actually built most of his physique using traditional training methods and did not develop the bulk of his physique via HIT, rather, it was more of a selling point to counter the overly-long training that most people were pushing at the time (making it more accessible to the average lifter vs. those who were genetically gifted, could handle extreme volume, or weren't using steroids to aid in recovery). So, while Mentzer claims his best work was done on HIT principles, there are a lot of contradictions to say otherwise.

Mentzer was a great bodybuilder, but compared to a lot of the others of his time, he truthfully didn't outshine everyone else to where he could be verified to have had better eating, training or other systems that put him at an advantage.

I don't think that it's true that Mentzer somehow achieved perfect potential while Arnold had room to spare.

Again, Mentzer had a great physique, but he wasn't leaps and bounds beyond the rest of the competition. He took parts of other people's works (ala Arthur Jones) and used them to create his own HIT system and claimed it was the "best" way to train. However, many people say that Mentzer actually built most of his physique using traditional training methods and did not develop the bulk of his physique via HIT, rather, it was more of a selling point to counter the overly-long training that most people were pushing at the time (making it more accessible to the average lifter vs. those who were genetically gifted, could handle extreme volume, or weren't using steroids to aid in recovery). So, while Mentzer claims his best work was done on HIT principles, there are a lot of contradictions to say otherwise.

Mentzer was a great bodybuilder, but compared to a lot of the others of his time, he truthfully didn't outshine everyone else to where he could be verified to have had better eating, training or other systems that put him at an advantage.

Thanks for the complete answer.Ok,I can wrong.

Arnold was a fury,he was famous for his terribles trainings and "no pain no gain religion",

but I think he wrong objectives or something teorical,

because I think Arnold have more potential in legs and abs.

Arnold is a freak of DNA and have a lot mind strenght and performance in training.

Mentzer of course have no used heavy duty,because he created heavy duty n in the late 90's.

But mentzer was influenced by arthur jones,he trained with more attention on intensity and recover.A little more.

I can wrong.

But I see mentzer with mass in chest and legs and definition,I cannot think he wrong diet and workouts.I can wrong.

Of course,Arnold is very impressive for his freaky chest and biceps,here Arnold at 20

Im watching this video a lot! I suggest all you download it with keepvids because is a beautiful video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HryZtZZvYh8

EDIT:I add this mentzer have good mass,definition,abs.Both mentzer and arnold was great

From what I know Mentzer started using the abbreviated training style in the early to mid '70's because he wasn't gaining size using the "Weider" style of training. It was his friendships with Casey Viator and Arthur Jones that helped him refine his training style to the low volume style he is famous for.

I know some people say he only used that style as a selling point for his training programs, many of his publications (including his original manuals from 30 years ago) describe his Olympia routines and whilst they are not as refined as his 'consolidated routine' of recent years, they certainly weren't high volume.

I've read articles saying there were times when he would train using 3 sets or more for exercises but often these workouts were not in preparation for anything, especially after the 1980 Olympia when he decided to leave the competitive bodybuilding arena and didn't need to train with such intensity (there are probably other factors there too).

I agree his ideas on nutrition are probably not some of his best work (then again, it was common logic back then that all calories are equal) but I think as someone knowledgable on the science of bodybuilding training, he will go down, in my eyes at least, as one of the very greatest

Ok,I did a lot of post in this topic,I dont want be boring.

I say only,I agree with you at 90%,

the 10% about nutrition,everyone is different,and I think more carbo in diet helped a lot of people,and other things.

For training,90% I agree,yes,I think he trained with more intensity than many others bodybuilders.

Also,3 Sets for exercises are not much...others use more...

Thanks to all for complete answers, I like talk about Mike Mentzer.

I think both Mentzer and Arnold had great bodies and mind's strenght.