tattoo risks and questions

Hero

i believe in altering the body from the inside out, and if you want a neat image on you, thats what graphics on t-shirts are for. however lately ive changed my view, as i am constantly doing, and decided that there are certain things i permanently want on me...to label myself, to express myself, etc.

thinking bout getting some ink, but I am unaware of the health risks associated with doing so. can anyone clue me in? hepatitis? blood poisoning? will it shorten my life span? etc.

also

will the ink over time get broken down and enter my blood stream? or does it remain in the third layer of skin?

and one last thing, what do i do about sunlight exposure? will this fade tattoos? how do i prevent fading, if i am gonna be out in the sun?

also, where does the ink come from? is it fully synthetic? animal? plant?

i thought i heard that some inks are hard to find vegan.

thanks everyone.

i believe in altering the body from the inside out, and if you want a neat image on you, thats what graphics on t-shirts are for. however lately ive changed my view, as i am constantly doing, and decided that there are certain things i permanently want on me...to label myself, to express myself, etc.

thinking bout getting some ink, but I am unaware of the health risks associated with doing so. can anyone clue me in? hepatitis? blood poisoning? will it shorten my life span? etc.

also

will the ink over time get broken down and enter my blood stream? or does it remain in the third layer of skin?

and one last thing, what do i do about sunlight exposure? will this fade tattoos? how do i prevent fading, if i am gonna be out in the sun?

also, where does the ink come from? is it fully synthetic? animal? plant?

i thought i heard that some inks are hard to find vegan.

thanks everyone.

There are health risks involved, but they're minimal if you go to a good, clean studio. Make sure they have (and use) an autoclave, and make sure you watch the artist open a fresh needle when he starts to work on you. It shouldn't shorten your life anymore than anything else you do. heh.

If you have an artist that doesn't know what he's doing, he could go too deep, which can lead to scarring, or too shallow, which can lead to the ink not staying. Check the artist out thoroughly and look at other examples of his work (preferably on other people instead of a book if you can) before you get anything done.

The ink will fade over time, but that's what touch-ups are for later on. Far as I know, the ink is all non-toxic and won't have any negative effects.

As far as sunlight, yes exposure will cause them to fade much faster. Put a good stong sunblock over it when you go outside.

Don't know about the vegan/non-vegan aspects though I imagine the vast majority of it should be fine.

thanks, however i do worry about the vegan/nonvegan aspect.

i would feel bad if i accidentally ate meat....but eventually it would leave my body. imagine if i accidentally got tattooed with nonvegan ink...that would be in my body forever. i couldnt live with that careless mistake

thinking bout getting some ink

Care to share what you were thinking of having done?

sure. the premise remains the same, but the actual image has never been drawn up yet.

1. XXX on right calf (straight edge piece)

2. tree with branches all the way across my entire chest. the part above my heart will be alive with green leaves and stuff, and the right side will be all winter like with no leaves, and desolate winter feeling with two autumn leaves blowin in wind, possibly some snow.

the alive part above my heart represents my little sister and how she influences me in life, without her i wouldnt feel alive. and the desolate part on right side of chest is to symbolize life without her. and the two autumn leaves represent my other 2 sisters (deceased) and how theyre there to guide me in life...whispering in the wind.

i have yet to work out the actual sketch. but its a piece dedicated to my 3 sisters. and to remind me to never take life for granted.

2. tree with branches all the way across my entire chest. the part above my heart will be alive with green leaves and stuff, and the right side will be all winter like with no leaves, and desolate winter feeling with two autumn leaves blowin in wind, possibly some snow.

actual lol.

No tattooist I have ever spoken with or gotten tattooed by knows anything much about veganism, but from the discussions I have had about tattoo ink I have never heard of anything non-vegan in it. I HAVE however heard of other vegans talk about non-vegan inks, but I am not sure which brands these are. Most of the guys I get tattooed by mix their own inks from the base pigment, and I don't think that there is anything animal based in the mix.

I love the history of tattoos, getting tattooed, and being tattooed, and if there was something non-vegan about tattooing I would have to say that wouldn't stop me from getting tattooed. Maybe that makes me a bad vegan, but it's the truth.

sure. the premise remains the same, but the actual image has never been drawn up yet.

the alive part above my heart represents my little sister and how she influences me in life, without her i wouldnt feel alive. and the desolate part on right side of chest is to symbolize life without her. and the two autumn leaves represent my other 2 sisters (deceased) and how theyre there to guide me in life...whispering in the wind.

i have yet to work out the actual sketch. but its a piece dedicated to my 3 sisters. and to remind me to never take life for granted.

That's sounds like a serious project. Nice symbolism.