Mistranslation of Bible

violet13

I am sure some of people on this forum are aware of incorrect translation of 'meat' in many verses in New Testament, but just a case, if some of you never read about mistranslation of the word 'meat' in Bible, what I am going to post is new knowledge to some people.

Most Christians don't realize mistranalation of 'meat' in the Bible and think that 'meat' means animal flesh but as you start reading part of the article below, you will find out how blind most Christians are about the word of God.

Too many Christians justfy their cruel life style (www.meetyourmeat.com) by misinterpreting Bible.

<>

Gen 29: And God said, behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree yielding seed:

To you it shall be for MEAT.

When I have time, I will do more research on mistranslation of the Bible.

great big expensive monuments - i think there is a reason why religious buildings are the most lavishly decorated in the world.

People donate money to the church mistakenly thinking it's going to a good cause. Mother Theresa was a big culprit in this. Transferred many, many, many millions donated to her straight to the Vatican while her "hospital" couldn't even afford pain killers. The Vatican refuses to divulge just how much money they have though.

Anyway I read the FAQ that NakedDragon posted. The argument for christian veganism wasn't very good. Some impressive mental acrobatics concerning the fishes and loaves. If I was a christian, I'd definitely eat meat.

great big expensive monuments - i think there is a reason why religious buildings are the most lavishly decorated in the world.

We have a mega-church in our area. (definition -- over 2,000 members) It is a huge monstrosity. It looks more like an arena than a church. The local paper frequently has complaints from people who live near it about the traffic congestion & noise every Sunday morning & whenever they have a special event.

I don't mean to judge their beliefs, but it appears very ungodly, ostentatious. It has taken years & an incredible amount of community discussion to get a decent homeless shelter built in town. Oh, but those people are riff-raff. (extreme sarcasm, in case you couldn't tell.)

Why anyone would doubt that the 'word of G-d' has been manipulated to serve the purpose of those in power is beyond me. Also, I've heard there are other 'books' to the Bible that have not been included. I beleive Thomas wrote a book, but it is not included. What's up with that? Once again, selective editing.

I think Jesus would have likely eaten insects (particularly locusts) and fish because these are foods that were regularly consumed by Jews of low-economic status during his day. He probably did not eat birds or cow flesh very often because these foods were relatively expensive back then, and he was poor. I imagine he wouldn't have eaten any pork since it's forbidden by Jewish dietary law

Also, I've heard there are other 'books' to the Bible that have not been included. I beleive Thomas wrote a book, but it is not included. What's up with that? Once again, selective editing.

One of the excluded books is about Jesus as a child. He killed quite a few people as a child. No joke. This was before he started using his powers just for good. (The Gospel of Infancy Thomas).

Example: 4 Later he was going through the village again when a boy ran and bumped him on the shoulder. Jesus got angry and said to him, "You won't continue your journey." (2)And all of a sudden, he fell down and died.

(3)Some people saw what had happened and said, "Where has this boy come from? Everything he says happens instantly!"

(4)The parents of the dead boy came to Joseph and blamed him saying, "Because you have such a boy, you can't live with us in the village, or else teach him to bless and not curse. He's killing our children!"

Will, I don't think we can assume he did what other Jews regularly did though. Of course, you're speaking as if it's a given that he existed. When actually it appears unlikely he ever did at all.

If he did exist, it seems he spent most of his adult life traveling around and living off the hospitality of low-income Jewish villagers in the Mediterranean region. So my guess is that he most likely ate whatever they were eating (i.e. he probably took whatever food they gave him, such as grains and vegetables), or he ate what was available and customary for the time while he was on the road between villages (i.e. insects or fish when possible).

Whether Jesus did or did not eat animal, the fact is that the human race evolved partly because of consuming flesh. We are omnivores, not herbivores...eating meat played a vital role in the development of our species, especially our minds... Sadly, animal cruelty and harmful additives make it practically impossible to consume flesh in an ethical and healthy way. Therefore, I do not choose to consume meat. It seems as if people view animals as being different from plants. All living things have the same intangible life force of surviving and striving toward a utopia of perfection, animals just evolved more closely-related to us....Everything is the same...When I die and decompose in the dirt, my atoms/elements will be used to help make a plant or animal and this cycle will continue throughout time...

We are omnivores, not herbivores...eating meat played a vital role in the development of our species, especially our minds... Sadly, animal cruelty and harmful additives make it practically impossible to consume flesh in an ethical and healthy way.

Umm...there may be less cruel ways to kill animals, but a humane killing (i.e. without any cruelty) where such killing is unnecessary for survival doesnt render the killing "ethical". I think that is pretty self-evident. So I disagree with you on your "ethical" point above.

As far as your point about how we are omnis and NOT herbivores, our bodies in their physiological design resemble herbivorous animals much closer than they do omnivorous ones. See the info neatly summed up in the chart provdied by Hero, and the very funny picture provided by Richard:

viewtopic.php?t=516&start=0

So I disagree with you on that as well. Furthermore, I think we would have developed just fine - in fact, better - WITHOUT taking the zillions of innocent lives we have unnecessarily snuffed out for food since almost the beginning of human history. In fact, I believe that our treatment of animals is mankind's most fundamental debacle - a debacle so fundamental that all others stem from it, as one person said (cant recall who). A world that never knew pesticides and the taste of animal flesh would have been in a better state right now in my opinion. So you may see these things as progress in civilization, but I view it differently.

Edited by compassionategirl

It seems as if people view animals as being different from plants. All living things have the same intangible life force of surviving and striving toward a utopia of perfection, animals just evolved more closely-related to us....Everything is the same...When I die and decompose in the dirt, my atoms/elements will be used to help make a plant or animal and this cycle will continue throughout time...

I agree that plants too have a life force. That is why cut flowers to me are a very sad thing. They have been removed from their life source and are dying.

However, I believe that it is pretty uncontroversial to state that animals are more sentient than plants, and that since we must eat something in order to survive, eating a plant -based diet causes less suffering than an animal based one. I think that is also uncontroversial.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the site.

Humans are omnivores. The ability to survive off of different types of foods is one of the factors that allowed our species to thrive.

We can choose to live without consuming animal products, but this requires supplementation (particularly B12, and I'm not even going to argue with people that think you don't need to supplement with this).

Even most herbivorous animals don't completely abstain from all animal products. Most scientists define a herbivore as an animal who primarily eats plants. For example, an animal that eats 90% plants, 5% mammals, and 5% insects would usually be classified as herbivorous.

Will, how do you explain the long intestines, teeth, digestive enzymes, etc etc. Are you saying that factually, the info on Hero's chart is incorrect? If you are not saying that, I do not understand how you could concede the accuracy of those facts on the one hand, and then turn around and state that we are physiologically designed as omnis. Please clarify your position so as to prevent an unnecessary debate which I feel coming on.

I haven't read Hero's chart. I'm saying that throughout history people in different climates and cultures have thrived off of diets with lots of animal products, and have thrived off of diets with little animal products. There's really nothing to debate. If we're able to thrive off of diets with little or lots of animal products, then we're omnivorous.

One example like peavy stated is that the body requires b12. There is no b12 in plants sources only animal. Therefore, supplementation will be needed. I agree in what that cartoon was stating, but if we are not omnivores, then our bodies most likely could not gain any nutritents from eating aniimal. Yet, we absorb many nutrients from animals (along with bad things also ). Our bodies are also designed to digest, process, utilize, and synthesize the nutrients contained in animal.