So Desperate, Please Help

I don't know what I have been doing wrong! Since January, I have been exercising every day (running 3-12 miles depending on time, elliptical, calisthenics, etc) and on a 1300-1500 calorie diet. I had lost 16 pounds, and then increased my calories a bit (about 200 a day) to make up for demands of a new job. Somehow, I've gained it all back in about a month!!!! I don't understand how this is possible, nothing has changed. I'm so depressed and discouraged, I don't know what to do.

Female, 5'8", 185-190 lbs, no white carbs, very little refined sugar, vegan.

I'm so depressed and discouraged, I don't know what to do.

Working out everyday isn't good. A 1300-1500 cal diet is too low. Sounds like you're both mentally and physically stressed. Stress= increased cortisol levels = increased weight/bodyfat.

One thing you can try is incorporating structured re-feeds. Every 10-14 days, up the calories AND carbs significantly (you can go as high as 200% your maintenance calories). This has both psychological and physiological benefits (gets the body out of starvation mode, balances out such hormones as leptin, ghrelin, etc.) that let's you lose fat more efficiently afterwards. Also, take a full diet break every two months or so and eat at maintenance - this has the same benefits as re-feeds, only they're much stronger.

I concur with Zack that exercising every day is a bad idea. You should have AT LEAST one day a week when you don't do any exercise whatsoever and let your body recuperate.

• 2 weeks later...
One thing you can try is incorporating structured re-feeds. Every 10-14 days, up the calories AND carbs significantly (you can go as high as 200% your maintenance calories). This has both psychological and physiological benefits (gets the body out of starvation mode, balances out such hormones as leptin, ghrelin, etc.) that let's you lose fat more efficiently afterwards. Also, take a full diet break every two months or so and eat at maintenance - this has the same benefits as re-feeds, only they're much stronger.

That doesn't sound healthy at all. I don't see any reason why the body should be in starvation mode in the first place.

To the OP... let's see what your diet looks like. What foods are you currently eating? What are your macros? Did you stop exercising with the new job?

• 2 weeks later...

you didn't mention weight training. Are you? I have found that its really important to build up lean muscle tissue to accelerate metabolism/fat burning, and if you are doing the same exercise every day over a long period of time your body will adapt.

Weight training also boosts growth hormone a LOT, and helps lower insulin resistance, both which help with fat burning. also the content of your calories matters too-are you eating enough protein? Basically, look to develop your lean muscle tissue with weight/resistance training, vary your workouts to avoid plateaus, make sure your cardio includes high intensity interval training, and balance hormones and insulin with frequent, small meals with enough protein. And don't forget adequet rest and recovery. That seems to be the secret formula-works like magic!