Looking for sugar alternatives for baking

sydney

Hello.

Ive been looking for some alternatives than sugar to make some protein muffins. Yesterday i made a batch which consisted of cocao, maca, hemp protein powder, buckwheat flour, some coconut oil and for sweetening it up i put a few drops of stevia in and the juice of 2 freshly squezed apples and then baked the things.

..and they tasted really terrible

There was no sweetness in the muffins !

So my next options are to get some Lucuma powder, stevia powder and see how that goes.

I am aiming for low GI options so that my blood sugar wont spike up and down.

Is there anything that else that i could use to get the tase of sweetness?? Ive heard of applesauce being used, but i doubt thats going to give me any flavour since the juice didnt.

Any advice would be great!

Have you tried the Stevia Baking Blend? Its made by NuStevia, they just sent me some as a sample, it definitely works as far as sweetening goes. So far I've made cookies and a fruit crisp with it. Both came out pretty well. The cookies weren't the same texture that I would like, they were cakey and I wanted them to spread more, but they still tasted like a pretty normal cookie.

• 6 months later...

I've been trying to figure this out too. It depends on the recipe, but sometimes you really can't just replace a liquid (brown rice syrup, agave nectar, maple syrup) for sugar. It totally messes up the texture. I've used evaporated cane juice, but I'm really not happy with that since basically, sugar is sugar and it's all bad for you. I think brown rice syrup and maple syrup would be just as bad for me, and agave nectar still doesn't work very well in baking when the recipe calls for regular sugar because it comes out too liquidy. I'm also pretty nervous about using standard artificial sweeteners since I'm trying to have only natural, whole foods. I'm so frustrated! I guess I just don't get too have desserts anymore. Except on cheat day.

Desserts made with medjool dates = love

Have you tried baking with stevia? I haven't yet. I was having trouble figuring out how to replace sugar in a recipe with stevia since the volume is so drastically different. Might be easier to just take stevia baking recipes and veganize them? Haven't given it much thought.

I like using agave nectar or brown rice syrup, stevia isn't my favorite for baking- strange after taste. I also use apple juice concentrate, or maple syrup and Date sugar is really nice!! you can buy it already ground up nice and fine. I make a great vegetable cake with shredded cabbage, carrot, celery, apple and a little agave.... turns out amazing! no liquid- I call it compost cake...lol

• 2 weeks later...

i made a batch which consisted of cocao, maca, hemp protein powder, buckwheat flour, some coconut oil and for sweetening it up i put a few drops of stevia in and the juice of 2 freshly squezed apples and then baked the things.

..and they tasted really terrible

LOL.I wouldn't blame the stevia for that recipe tasting bad.Those are some nasty ingredients.

I'm going to imagine you don't want to use Splenda?

Isn't splenda aspartame?Not good.

Whoa! I didn't know it was the same thing. I better tell my mom. She used NutraSweet for years, which I think was the brand name for aspartame, and now she is all about Splenda. Dang it.

Neither sucralose or aspartame is bad for your health. Sucralose however might be bad for the enviroment. Splenda is sucralose, Nutrasweet is aspartame.

In certain markets aspartame is manufactured using a genetically modified variation of E. coli.Otherwise aspartame is the methyl ester of the dipeptide of the amino acids L-aspartic acid and L-phenylalanine. Under strongly acidic or alkaline conditions, aspartame may generate methanol by hydrolysis.

Really Johan?c'mon.That is not a food.It's a chemical.

In certain markets aspartame is manufactured using a genetically modified variation of E. coli.Otherwise aspartame is the methyl ester of the dipeptide of the amino acids L-aspartic acid and L-phenylalanine. Under strongly acidic or alkaline conditions, aspartame may generate methanol by hydrolysis.

Wiki:

"

Methanol and formaldehyde

Approximately 10% of aspartame (by mass) is broken down into methanol in the small intestine. Most of the methanol is absorbed and quickly converted into formaldehyde and then to formic acid.[74] Some opponents of aspartame have falsely claimed that this causes metabolic acidosis[28]. The metabolism of aspartame does not damage the body because: (a) the quantity of methanol produced is too small to disrupt normal physiological processes;[73] (b) methanol and formaldehyde are natural by-products of human metabolism and are safely processed by various enzymes;[73] © there is more methanol in some natural fruit juices and alcoholic beverages than is derived from aspartame ingestion;[73][75] and (d) even large doses of pure methanol have been shown in non-human primate studies to lead to ample accumulation of formic acid (as formate), while no formaldehyde was detected.[76]

"

Now it's my turn to say c'mon to you. Please don't believe bunk science about 'aspartame kills' or any other such nonsense...

I sometimes use the lite agave nectar....it usually comes out pretty good.....my non vegan husband even likes it. As far as stevia, I like it in tea but haven't had any luck baking with it.

As for the great aspartame/sucralose debate......I'm not taking sides in any way, but I quit having headaches after removing aspartame from my diet.....maybe a coincidence but it serously stopped them.

Aspartame is not straight edge or vegan.It's death food.

Really Cold Fission? C'mon. You just said it wasn't even a food and now it's a death food. C'mon, really? C'mon! C'MON!!!!! C'mon man, it's not funny. C'mon.

Aspartame is not straight edge or vegan.It's death food.

Really Cold Fission? C'mon. You just said it wasn't even a food and now it's a death food. C'mon, really? C'mon! C'MON!!!!! C'mon man, it's not funny. C'mon.

You have been hurt by my words young jojo.*Jedi hand wave*You will admit defeat and yield before stevia as the holy grail of sweeteners.

Just, whatever you do, don't put any dihydrogen monoxide in your body. That stuff sounds really scary.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for Jack LaLane's view that "If man made it, don't eat it." As non-scientific blanket statements go, that's not a bad one. And Agave is good stuff, so why bother with a big corporate product like aspartame if there are good alternatives.

Back to the original topic: Is the goal to remove sugar, or is the goal to remove processed white sugar? Because I'm pretty sure many of the alternatives mentioned actually have a lot of sugar. If you are trying to avoid an insulin spike, you can't just replace white sugar with fruit juice sugar or agave sugar.