Macro-nutrient ratios: Is my diet imbalanced for my goals?

Why care about eskimos? They live untill they are 35 if they are lucky. Their health sucks in general and their diet is not good.

On paper it's possible but in practice it would be hard

This is true.

IF you can show me some studies that show exercise on a bad diet is better then no exercise on a good diet shoot it my way. Don't get why you won't say the truth and that's that both diet and exercise are large factors in bone health. your only as strong as your weakest link

Not the best study ever made but still worth thinking about:

Lifestyle factors and the development of bone mass and bone strength in young women.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the contributions of adolescent calcium intake, oral contraceptive use, and exercise on bone mass and bone strength.Study design Eighty white women participated in 10 years of the Penn State Young Women's Health Study, a longitudinal study of community participants. We measured bone mineral mass (g), density (BMD, g/cm(2)), and body composition from dual energy x-ray absorptiometry and estimated proximal femur section modulus (bone bending strength). Calcium intake was determined from 45 days of prospective food records at regular intervals between the ages of 12 and 22 years. Exercise history and oral contraceptive use were assessed by questionnaire. RESULTS: Daily calcium intakes between the ages of 12 and 22 years ranged from 500 to 1900 mg/d and were not significantly associated with bone gain or bone strength. Oral contraceptive use during adolescence was not correlated with bone or body composition measurements. Femoral neck BMD did not change from 17 to 22 years of age, but section modulus increased 3% (P <.05). Only exercise during adolescence was significantly associated with increased BMD and bone bending strength. CONCLUSIONS: Adolescent lifestyle patterns can influence young adult bone strength. Our data suggest that exercise is the predominant lifestyle determinant of bone strength for this cohort.

From the research ive done it's more about the quality of the diet, meaning more natural, less acidic foods that help bones density rather then just calcium totals. In the west we get a ton of calcium but still have alot of problems, But exercise is huge

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mcdougall and john robbins have info about that. If you don't belive them and there sources a google search will come up with alot of info about eskimo's and there bone health. The only places that i've read thay says they have good bone health is the Wesern A Price people which are the most anti vegan people ever.

IF you can show me some studies that show exercise on a bad diet is better then no exercise on a good diet shoot it my way. Don't get why you won't say the truth and that's that both diet and exercise are large factors in bone health. your only as strong as your weakest link

It's not that I don't believe them (Mcdougall and Robbins) , It's your over simplification and narrow view, that I don't believe.

If you go back and read your original argument about Eskimos. You will see that you were arguing the mortality rate of Eskimos. Now you want to argue BMD. You never did give me any evidence of the mortality rate. Is grasping at straws your way of debating issues.

Here Is just one link that I looked up. Being your inability to do so.

http://books.google.com/books?id=_6QM5k_M1SsC&pg=PA298&lpg=PA298&dq=eskimos+and+bone+health&source=bl&ots=VJ-z1JQUqV&sig=OKG9tvvpOkfATUjakA7nyyp5hVc&hl=en&ei=p7x_Sv-OBYayswONm7jvCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=&f=false

It states about Eskimos bone desity after age 40 being less than that of Whites. It doesn't go on to examine the Asian population as a whole, who on average have smaller bones than whites. It also states and I quote

"No differences were seen in bone loss rates between the lactoovovegetarians and the omnivorous groups. Further more in the most recently published studies, bone mass was found to be significantly lower in the vegetable based dietary groups."

And it further goes on to say.

"Whilst the issue of dietary change among the Eskimo population (particularly the use of refined carbohydrates)" was raised and subsequently discussed. Clearly these findings are of considerable interest to the interaction between diet and bone in the regulation of systemic acid-base balance and further work in this area is clearly warrented."

I'm so glad you have me fighting your battles for you.

This was the first sight I Googled and it's saying the same thing I've been trying to tell you.

Mcdougall and john robbins have info about that. If you don't belive them and there sources a google search will come up with alot of info about eskimo's and there bone health. The only places that i've read thay says they have good bone health is the Wesern A Price people which are the most anti vegan people ever.

It's not that I don't believe them (Mcdougall and Robbins) , It's your over simplification and narrow view, that I don't believe.

If you go back and read your original argument about Eskimos. You will see that you were arguing the mortality rate of Eskimos. Now you want to argue BMD. You never did give me any evidence of the mortality rate. Is grasping at straws your way of debating issues.

http://books.google.com/books?id=_6QM5k_M1SsC&pg=PA298&lpg=PA298&dq=eskimos+and+bone+health&source=bl&ots=VJ-z1JQUqV&sig=OKG9tvvpOkfATUjakA7nyyp5hVc&hl=en&ei=p7x_Sv-OBYayswONm7jvCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=&f=false

It states about Eskimos bone desity after age 40 being less than that of Whites. It doesn't go on to examine the Asian population as a whole, who on average have smaller bones than whites. It also states and I quote

"No differences were seen in bone loss rates between the lactoovovegetarians and the omnivorous groups. Further more in the most recently published studies, bone mass was found to be significantly lower in the vegetable based dietary groups."

"Whilst the issue of dietary change among the Eskimo population (particularly the use of refined carbohydrates)" was raised and subsequently discussed. Clearly these findings are of considerable interest to the interaction between diet and bone in the regulation of systemic acid-base balance and further work in this area is clearly warrented."

This was the first sight I Googled and it's saying the same thing I've been trying to tell you.

You should go on the eskimo diet and see how it works for you, you seem to be all about it

You should go on the eskimo diet and see how it works for you, you seem to be all about it

I told you my wife is a Native American Eskimo. She just recieved dried seal meat, and seal oil in the mail Sat., and put it in the freezer. It's been a number of years since i've had any, but I do like the taste. I also told you her father lived to be 94.

So how all about it are you?

I told you my wife is a Native American Eskimo. She just recieved dried seal meat, and seal oil in the mail Sat., and put it in the freezer. It's been a number of years since i've had any, but I do like the taste. I also told you her father lived to be 94.

not about it at all. i like seals and wouldn't want to kill them so i can live on average 65 years old

not about it at all. i like seals and wouldn't want to kill them so i can live on average 65 years old

Guess you never heard that phase "When in Rome do as the Romans".

If you didn't eat that seal you'ld be dead right after your mother weened you.

About age 2.

Reality isn't one of your key issues I see.

http://www.naturalnews.com/010528.html

Postmenopausal women are especially prone to osteoporosis because they lack estrogen. Most women know this and begin to take calcium supplements to ward off the debilitating disease. Calcium supplements are important, but according to Kathy Keeton's book, Longevity, they are not enough. Not only does your body need magnesium and other nutrients to assimilate calcium into your bones, it also needs strength training to retain calcium. Keeton quotes nutritional biochemist Dr. Neil S. Orenstein: "Without consideration of these effects, no amount of calcium supplementation will prevent osteoporosis."

Numerous studies demonstrate strength training's ability to increase bone mass, especially spinal bone mass. According to Keeton, a research study by Ontario's McMaster University found that a year-long strength training program increased the spinal bone mass of postmenopausal women by nine percent. Furthermore, women who do not participate in strength training actually experience a decrease in bone density.

In Prescription Alternatives, Professor Earl Mindell and Virginia Hopkins detail these findings: "In a recent study on bone density and exercise, older women who did high-intensity weight training two days per week for a year were able to increase their bone density by one percent, while a control group of women who did not exercise had a bone density decrease of 1.8 to 2.5 percent. The women who exercised also had improved muscle strength and better balance, while both decreased in the non-exercising group."

Increased bone density, improved muscle strength, better balance -- these three things will dramatically improve your later years and increase your longevity. Only these health improvements can help prevent a bad fall, which is often a turning point in an elderly person's life. One bad spill can result in a broken hip, an injury that can lead to an elderly person's immobility and dependence on others. Only strength training can provide these benefits

Guess you never heard that phase "When in Rome do as the Romans".

If you didn't eat that seal you'ld be dead right after your mother weened you.

About age 2.

Reality isn't one of your key issues I see.

I dont live in the artic cricle and neither do you or your wife. Unless of course Sunnyvale is a small village up there.

I dont live in the artic cricle and neither do you or your wife. Unless of course Sunnyvale is a small village up there.

Then you would have no need, or want to eat seal.

yeah, I'm all for groups like the eskimos doing what they need to do to survive, but that doesn't mean it's a optimal diet for humans. I'd imgaine since they've been on that diet generation after generation they get much better results then someone like me or most the world who's ancestors eat high carb diet with the exception of my parents where it was sad so it was anything goes.