questions about cardio...

Hello All,

so I need some input on my workout schedule. I am trying to lose about 20lbs of bodyfat and I have been working out 4-5x a week and have yet to lose a single LB. In fact, I have probably gained a pound or 2 (I don't trust the gym scale b/c it is all wobbly). My diet is pretty clean, I am going to start limiting the higher GI fruits though... I know that in the past my weight loss efforts have been most successful w/ a low carb diet. I am doing quite a bit more strength training than I have ever done in the past so I am hoping that this accounts for my lack of weight loss... I definitely feel stronger and can feel a difference in my body... but I guess I am just anxious to start seeing a bigger difference.

The thing I am confused about is cardio... I have heard you can't do too much cardio, but then I have also heard that you CAN do too much (?) And then there is the whole heart rate thing... keep it below 160 or not?! I am mucho confused... so here is what I plan to do, if you have any suggestions, I could really use them! thanx!!

MONDAY: 30 minutes cardio, 1 hour yoga

TUESDAY: 1 hour cardio

WEDNESDAY: 1 hour weight training class, 1 hour shadowboxing

THURSDAY: rest or light cardio i.e. swimming

FRIDAY: 1 hour cardio

SATURDAY: 1 hour shadowboxing, 1 hour yoga

SUNDAY: 1 hour pilates

I haven't been doing a lot of weight training on my own b/c the shadowboxing and pilates seem to take care of that for me, my instructor really knows how to build up the lactic acid and I feel more like I work my whole body w/ her classes than I do w/ doing the machines on my own. So this is pretty much my current schedule, w/ a few more cardio sessions in there. Thanks in andvance for any help!

thanks marcina,

I was doing weight training up until about a week and a half ago but the SB and pilates leave me so sore that I figured they were doing better than the weight training was?? I haven't been sticking to any regime yet (I've probably switched it up twice in the last month), but just working out more than I had been for sure and no weight loss...the schedule above is basically what I have been doing only with more cardio.

There's the maximum heart rate, which varies based on your level of fitness, but is commonly estimated as 220 - age (it was never intended to be used as an absolute rule). That number, whatever it is for you, is simply the fastest your heart will ever beat.

Well before that point, somewhere around 80% or so, you'll pass into the anaerobic zone where you are consuming more oxygen than your cardiopulmonary system can supply. Depending on intensity, you can sustain anaerobic exercise for a little while.

As long as you're doing reasonable cardio, you'll be able to tell when you hit your anaerobic threshold, so you shouldn't need to obsess over the numbers. Chances are you'll hit your lactic threshold even earlier than that.

The takeaway being don't freak out if your heart rate is a little higher than these estimation formulas predict, yet you feel like you're going along just fine. The more cardio you do, you'll notice it harder and harder to get your heart rate up anyway.

How much are you eating? How long have you been working out at this consistency?

There's always a chance that you just aren't eating enough to sustain the workouts that you're doing, so your body is holding on to what it has. I would add in some weight training, but nothing you're doing really looks bad to me

There's the maximum heart rate, which varies based on your level of fitness, but is commonly estimated as 220 - age (it was never intended to be used as an absolute rule). That number, whatever it is for you, is simply the fastest your heart will ever beat.

Well before that point, somewhere around 80% or so, you'll pass into the anaerobic zone where you are consuming more oxygen than your cardiopulmonary system can supply. Depending on intensity, you can sustain anaerobic exercise for a little while.

As long as you're doing reasonable cardio, you'll be able to tell when you hit your anaerobic threshold, so you shouldn't need to obsess over the numbers. Chances are you'll hit your lactic threshold even earlier than that.

The takeaway being don't freak out if your heart rate is a little higher than these estimation formulas predict, yet you feel like you're going along just fine. The more cardio you do, you'll notice it harder and harder to get your heart rate up anyway.

so I don't need to worry about my body "consuming" muscle if my heart-rate is over the "fat burning cardio" zone? That is what I have always heard and didn't know if it was BS or not.

How much are you eating? How long have you been working out at this consistency?

There's always a chance that you just aren't eating enough to sustain the workouts that you're doing, so your body is holding on to what it has. I would add in some weight training, but nothing you're doing really looks bad to me

I was thinking this might be my problem (not enough food) I would estimate that I have been eating around 1500 cal a day so w/ working out at the intensity that I have been that probably brings me down to around 1000-1200 net calories, I think I need to up my nutrition, I have been reading 'The Thrive Diet' and over the last few days I have eaten a lot more than I had been, but in a good, nutritious way. Big salads, lots of veggies and more hemp protein. I have been working out about 5 days a week for the last month... I would say???... with 2 kids my brain just can not retain that kind of information I have definitely noticed a change in my body since I started getting serious about my workouts, things feel firmer and people have complimented me on weight loss in my face... but I want it to go faster! That's why I am thinking of upping the cardio...

so I don't need to worry about my body "consuming" muscle if my heart-rate is over the "fat burning cardio" zone? That is what I have always heard and didn't know if it was BS or not.
Your body consumes muscle glycogen regardless, but if you keep the intensity up, your body will expend a good amount of energy rebuilding that for a while after you've stopped exercising.

Here is your problem:
I haven't been sticking to any regime yet

Consistent diet and exercise is they key. Sorry, no short cut to it.

Agreed. I thought you had been doing that routine for awhile but I guess it's fairly new. In that case, stick with a regime for about a month to 6 weeks before deciding to change it.

Ok, so I just looked at my club visit history for my gym online and it looks like I have gone at least 3x week since May and an average of 4x a week for the last month. I am just starting to get discouraged b/c in the past I have seen at least 1-2lbs of weight loss a week when working out as much (or actually even less than) I am now... and right now I am really challenging myself, I am not slacking. I am thinking that you were right Marcina when you used the dreaded 'P' word.... I am still nursing my son, so I am thinking that my body is just not willing to let go of any more weight since the weight I am at right now is the same weight I was b4 I got pregnant, and actually, the weight I have been most of my adult life. I just so badly want to get past this point!

Ok, here is where I would start. Get a training and diet log. Track sets, reps and weights. Also track every single thing you eat. We already have a goal to lose 20 pounds. Verify that goal is reasonable. Look at your bodyfat percentage and see what losing that weight would do to it.

Diet:

To get down to it. Take your body weight and multiply it by 12. That is your daily caloric need. Divide that number by six. That is how much you are going to eat at each of your six daily meals. Percentages of fat, carbs, and protein vary depending on who you talk to. I like protein as much as I can get. Don't fear fats, they are your friend. Cut out anything with white flour, sugar or sodium to include anything processed.

Workouts:

Old school hard core lifts. Don't worry about getting too big. It takes a lot of anabolics to get there. Find a partner or trainer who really knows what they are doing. Don't listen to meatheads in the gym who think because they are male they inherently know how to lift. Find someone you trust who can show you how to do the lifts correctly. Also crossfit.com has some great videos on how to do exercises.

Day 1:

Squat 3-4 sets with a rep range of 10-15

Lunges 3-4 sets with a rep range of 10-15

Finish with 3-4 sets of leg press in the 10-15 rep range

Day 2

Run 30-45. I don't care what your pace is at first. Run and walk if you have to, just keep moving.

Day 3

Dumbbell incline bench press 3-4 sets with 10-15

3-4 sets of flat bench flies

3-4 sets clean and press with a rep range of 10-15

side lateral raises 3 sets of 10-15

3-4 sets of dips (real dips if you can do them, bench dips if you cannot)

Tricep push downs with a straight bar 3 sets

Day 4

Run 30-45 minutes

day 5

Dead lifts 3-4 sets of 10-15

Dumbbell rows 3-4 sets of 10-15

Day 6

Run 30-25 minutes

This should yield a 1-2 pound per week weight loss. At first you might have a slight bump in weight as your body tightens up and gains a little muscle. This is a good thing because that will lead to long term fat loss.

Once a week weigh in and measure your body.