Fruitarian for a week - any advice?

GRardB

It's been a long time since I've posted here. I just graduated high school and I'm going to start college this fall. However, before I do that, I need to ask my vegan buddies for some more advice!

My dad and I are planning to go on a raw fruitarian diet for a week, just to see what it feels like. However, we have no clue how much food we need to buy and how much we'll need to eat. We're also confused about what exactly a fruitarian diet looks like. We've read that you should include nuts and leafy vegetables in your diet if you want to be a fruitarian, but I always thought the diet was 100% fruit? Are there disagreements about this?

Anyway, what would you guys recommend we eat for one week? We're both about 165 pounds, although I'm considerably leaner and have more muscle My dad isn't really looking to lose any weight during this week (or ever, really), but I'm on a mission this month to make my abs more visible. The fruitarian diet isn't my planned method for this; they are just overlapping each other.

So, just to recap:

[Raw] Fruitarian diet for one week

Two males, 165 pounds (18 year old and 54 year old), one of which wants to burn fat and works out daily

Anything other than fruits?

Which fruits?

How much to eat?

We are already fruit eaters, so we do have some in the house right now, including:

Apples, Bananas, Peaches, Plums, Mangoes, Watermelon, Cantaloupes, Cherries, Tomatoes, Zucchini, and Pumpkin.

Thanks!

Gerard

P.S. My dad wants to continue drinking wine during the diet -_- is that considered fruitarian? Please say no, lmao.

Hi, i'm eating mostly fruits during the summer. And some greens, but not enough. Perhaps you'll notice the same changes I noticed even on just the morning after the frist day: you'll feel better when you wake up, you will need less rest, recovery/you recover better, your body becomes a more efficient machine because you use a more efficient fuel : natural sugar from organic fruits, loaded with vitamins. You put less crap in your body so it needs less energy and effort to get rid of toxins, to balance your PH because of acidic food, etc.

Greens are important for their vitamin and mineral content, superior to fruits. It's still called a fruitarian diet even if you eat lots of greens, because most of the calories come from sweet fruits. You should eat about 4-6% of your calories from dark leafy greens.

Eat 80% of your calories sugar, 10% protein, 10% fat. So perhaps you'll want to eat for dinner a green salad with 1/2 cup of nuts or 1/2 avocado for proteins and fats, but this is not necessary especially if you do this fruit diet only for a week. I rarely eat avocados and nuts, I eat some fruits that contain fat, like blueberries, and all fruits contain about 5% proteins or fats.

Which fruits?

All the fruits are good fruits, but acid fruits/tropical fruits like citrus, orange, berries, etc are more detoxifying than sweet fruits or fatty fruits like bananas, dates, or avocados. And if possible buy organic, and local depending in which area you live. Especially for lettuce and greens in general, grapes, strawberries, etc, it is important to buy organic otherwise conventional ones are sprayed with 3x to 10x more insecticides and the residues are on and in the food itself, counter to fruits protected by a skin like oranges, bananas, watermelon, etc.

How much to eat?

You need the same amount of calories than with cooked food, or perhaps less, because fruits are easier to digest so you waste less energy for digestion. Again, more efficient fuel. You wont feel tired after a meal of fruits.

So just eat 3 or 4 big meals of fruits, eat until you're satisfied at each meal, stop a bit before you feel full or heavy. Take your time, taste. Since it contains lots of water and therefore less calories per bite, you eat larger portions than if you eat pastas for instance.

Example of meals for a day can be:

wait at least an hour after waking up before you eat. Wait that you feel full awaken and hungry. Drink water if you want, to finnish the night detox.

breakfast

-half a watermelon

-exotic fruits salad: grapefruit, orange, pineapple, strawberries, kiwis...

snack

-5 apples

lunch

-smoothie: 10 bananas, romaine lettuce, 1lb blueberries, few fresh dates

dinner

-soup: avocado and cucumber, fresh dill.

-giant green salad (baby spinach, romaine, cherry tomatoes), dressing: orange blended with pumpkin seeds.

evening snack if desired:

1-2 pounds of cherries

Monomeals are ideal for optimal digestion and absorption, otherwise respect the food combining rules:

-all kinds of melons (cantaloup, etc) alone and with empty stomach. If you wanna eat other fruits, wait 10 minutes after the melon.

-don't mix sweet fruits (peach, banana...) with acid fruits (pineapple, orange...) You can eat at the same time mid-acid fruits with sweet fruits or with acid fruits.

For more infos:

-read ''the 80/10/10 diet', by dr. doug graham

-books by Shelton like 'Food combining rules made easy', or 'superior nutrition'

-google the previous works or authors

-http://www.thefruitpages.com/

-30 bananas a day!

Hi, i'm eating mostly fruits during the summer. And some greens, but not enough. Perhaps you'll notice the same changes I noticed even on just the morning after the frist day: you'll feel better when you wake up, you will need less rest, recovery/you recover better, your body becomes a more efficient machine because you use a more efficient fuel : natural sugar from organic fruits, loaded with vitamins. You put less crap in your body so it needs less energy and effort to get rid of toxins, to balance your PH because of acidic food, etc.

Greens are important for their vitamin and mineral content, superior to fruits. It's still called a fruitarian diet even if you eat lots of greens, because most of the calories come from sweet fruits. You should eat about 4-6% of your calories from dark leafy greens.

Eat 80% of your calories sugar, 10% protein, 10% fat. So perhaps you'll want to eat for dinner a green salad with 1/2 cup of nuts or 1/2 avocado for proteins and fats, but this is not necessary especially if you do this fruit diet only for a week. I rarely eat avocados and nuts, I eat some fruits that contain fat, like blueberries, and all fruits contain about 5% proteins or fats.

Which fruits?

All the fruits are good fruits, but acid fruits/tropical fruits like citrus, orange, berries, etc are more detoxifying than sweet fruits or fatty fruits like bananas, dates, or avocados. And if possible buy organic, and local depending in which area you live. Especially for lettuce and greens in general, grapes, strawberries, etc, it is important to buy organic otherwise conventional ones are sprayed with 3x to 10x more insecticides and the residues are on and in the food itself, counter to fruits protected by a skin like oranges, bananas, watermelon, etc.

How much to eat?

You need the same amount of calories than with cooked food, or perhaps less, because fruits are easier to digest so you waste less energy for digestion. Again, more efficient fuel. You wont feel tired after a meal of fruits.

So just eat 3 or 4 big meals of fruits, eat until you're satisfied at each meal, stop a bit before you feel full or heavy. Take your time, taste. Since it contains lots of water and therefore less calories per bite, you eat larger portions than if you eat pastas for instance.

Example of meals for a day can be:

wait at least an hour after waking up before you eat. Wait that you feel full awaken and hungry. Drink water if you want, to finnish the night detox.

breakfast

-half a watermelon

-exotic fruits salad: grapefruit, orange, pineapple, strawberries, kiwis...

snack

-5 apples

lunch

-smoothie: 10 bananas, romaine lettuce, 1lb blueberries, few fresh dates

dinner

-soup: avocado and cucumber, fresh dill.

-giant green salad (baby spinach, romaine, cherry tomatoes), dressing: orange blended with pumpkin seeds.

evening snack if desired:

1-2 pounds of cherries

Monomeals are ideal for optimal digestion and absorption, otherwise respect the food combining rules:

-all kinds of melons (cantaloup, etc) alone and with empty stomach. If you wanna eat other fruits, wait 10 minutes after the melon.

-don't mix sweet fruits (peach, banana...) with acid fruits (pineapple, orange...) You can eat at the same time mid-acid fruits with sweet fruits or with acid fruits.

For more infos:

-read ''the 80/10/10 diet', by dr. doug graham

-books by Shelton like 'Food combining rules made easy', or 'superior nutrition'

-google the previous works or authors

-http://www.thefruitpages.com/

-30 bananas a day!

Great post, but I would also recommend some supplementation for omega-3's and vitamin D, and make sure you get enough calcium...

you can supplement if you want, but if you do this only for a week, I don,t see why you should, besides there,s plenty of calcium in fruits and greens. You could even fast for a week, with no fruits, no calcium, no vitamins, nothing except water, and you would be fine, nothing would be lost that cannot be repaired/renew afterwards.

I forgot to mention that if you feel tired at some point even if you eat well, that may be a detox symptom due to toxins in the bloodstream. it is normal and is not necessarily caused by a lack of calories or energy in the diet.

oh yeah and red wine is not accepted and could ruin all the benefits he would have on the raw diet. Red wine is not raw and its not fruits, just fermentation, and alcohol is carcinogenic. If he can't stop to drink for just one week or one day in his whole life he is alcoholic and needs help.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I have started the fruitarian diet today. I appreciate the tips you guys gave me, although I won't supplement as I never do, and it'll only be for a week. There's enough sunlight right now during the summer, so I especially don't need the vitamin D. My friends think I'm crazy, but I doubt I'll regret doing this. However...

oh yeah and red wine is not accepted and could ruin all the benefits he would have on the raw diet. Red wine is not raw and its not fruits, just fermentation, and alcohol is carcinogenic. If he can't stop to drink for just one week or one day in his whole life he is alcoholic and needs help.

I found this very offensive, and I believe you could've written that much more politely. My father is by no means an alcoholic, and rarely drinks more than a glass of beer or wine a day. In my 18 years of life I've never seen him drunk or even "tipsy," and I don't remember the last time he drank hard liquor. If your definition of an alcoholic is a glass of wine a day, then I'd like to know the word for people who get drunk daily. I disagree with the consumption of alcohol and have already decided that I will never do it. My friends have made me try many times, but I've never given in. Still, I believe that calling my father an alcoholic for enjoying wine is ridiculous and I've honestly lost a lot of respect for you.

Also, from research I've just done, it seems that wine IS raw, but however might not even be vegetarian depending on the brand. I will speak to him about this.

Thanks again,

Gerard

Sorry about what I said, I should have used other words, I confess it was very harsh the way I've put it. Besides I don't know your father at all nor his drinking habits. I didn't mean to say he,s alcoholic, but my definition of an alcoholic is not necessarily someone who get drunk and sick every night, but someone who needs or feels like he needs his drink everyday otherwise he becomes mad. I once had this problem and now I'm glad that I don't drink at all. If your dad doesn't drink this week that's good.

Perhaps wine is raw, I haven't done research on this, raw like fermented vegetables like choucroute, etc; but I don't know any raw foodist that will drink wine, and perhaps most wines are pasteurised (?) so it may not be considered raw.