Is there a limit on how much you can strengthen your bones?

It's more about what you don't do then what you do for bone health. YOu can take all the calcium/ vit d ect in the world but if your eatting a extrmely high protein/ high acid diet it's going to rob your body of the minerals. Hense why all the countries with the highest animal food intake/ dairy have the highest levels of bone issues. pretty much all the 1st world western countries

In the long run weight bearing exercise is without a doubt the only way to maintain good bone strenght. Diet is second unless of course you exist on candy bars alone. A well balanced diet, and weight bearing excercise is all really one can do aside from steroids.

In the long run weight bearing exercise is without a doubt the only way to maintain good bone strenght. Diet is second unless of course you exist on candy bars alone. A well balanced diet, and weight bearing excercise is all really one can do aside from steroids.

steroids hurt bone density. But yeah lifting weights is the best thing for bone health except for proper lifestyle

Edited by Couture547

But yeah lifting weight is the best thing for boes except for proper lifestyle

Could you better explain your best/except statement. Seems a bit conflicting.

Is English your second language?

And yes, I stand corrected on the steroid/bone density increase.

Thanks for the fast responses. So a raw vegan diet in addition to weight bearing exercises would be the best way to increase bone strength? When I see athletes, particularly in MMA such as Fedor Emelianenko, I'm amazed at his ability to dominate in every aspect of the sport but one of his biggest weaknesses is broken bones and cuts to his skin. He is a carnivore which naturally is a highly acidic lifestyle and perhaps could attribute to his weakened bone strength and skin? I sometimes ponder how much more he could acheive with a vegan diet.

Edited by socalfusions

lets not start with the insults, most the time i'm on the forum i'm doing other things as well so i move along very fast, but now that i know i'm being graded i'll check it out

Thanks for the fast responses. So a raw vegan diet in addition to weight bearing exercises would be the best way to increase bone strength? When I see athletes, particularly in MMA such as Fedor Emelianenko, I'm amazed at his ability to dominate in every aspect of the sport but one of his biggest weaknesses is broken bones and cuts to his skin. He is a carnivore which naturally is a highly acidic lifestyle and perhaps could attribute to his weakened bone strength? I sometimes ponder what he could acheive with a vegan diet.

Big fan of Fedor here. no he's not a carnivore at all, He eats a ton of potatoes and a bunch of plant foods, but also eats animal foods. The main reason he breaks his hands is becasue his ground and pound is so hard much more so then other fighters and the way he punches some times he hits with the small to knuncles

I second (fourth?) that exercise is more crucial to bone density/strength than diet. Moderate-impact exercise is good, too, such as tennis, jogging, etc. The repeated impacts stimulate growth in the bones.

I disagree with with the order, but agree both are important. good thing we don't have to pick

lets not start with the insults, most the time i'm on the forum i'm doing other things as well so i move along very fast, but now that i know i'm being graded i'll check it out

It was a serious question with no insult attached. Sorry if I stepped on your toes.

I second (fourth?) that exercise is more crucial to bone density/strength than diet. Moderate-impact exercise is good, too, such as tennis, jogging, etc. The repeated impacts stimulate growth in the bones.

I disagree with with the order, but agree both are important. good thing we don't have to pick

You can eat and eat the best of diets without exercise and and you bone density and muscle mass will be minimal. On the other hand a good execise program and a poor diet will yield greater bone density and muscle mass.

Exercise is number one and diet second. As proven by all our omni friends.

You can eat and eat the best of diets without exercise and and you bone density and muscle mass will be minimal. On the other hand a good execise program and a poor diet will yield greater bone density and muscle mass.

Exercise is number one and diet second. As proven by all our omni friends.

Yeah for sure for Muscle strength and size but not bone strength. I think for athletics it's 70 percent training/ 30 percent diet and for general health it's like 70 percent diet/ 30 percent exercise.

Also a gain The English question was aserious question that after vtime you might see on this site as there are people from all over the world on here. Being that you don't list your location I though you might be from some other country. Didn't realise it was a multi tasking problem. Sorry, I myself am not a great pervayor.

But yeah lifting weights is the best thing for bone health except for proper lifestyle

What do you mean by this?

you're missing the point of my question

don't see what you don't get. Proper lifestyle(good diet, not doing drugs, not drinking, not smoking ect) > lifting weights for bone health

Yeah for sure for Muscle strength and size but not bone strength. I think for athletics it's 70 percent training/ 30 percent diet and for general health it's like 70 percent diet/ 30 percent exercise.

I think your wrong. Building muscles builds strong bones. Other wise weight lifter would be braking more bones the stronger they got. Then you go off on general health. The subject at hand is bone density and how to aquire good density.

I believe it's a proven fact that a person who exercises, with a less a than stellar diet are going to be more fit than a sedantary person with a stellar diet.

Edited by Vegan Joe

But yeah lifting weights is the best thing for bone health except for proper lifestyle

What do you mean by this?

you're missing the point of my question

don't see what you don't get. Proper lifestyle(good diet, not doing drugs, not drinking, not smoking ect) > lifting weights for bone health

Do you mean "greater than" by this ?

I think your wrong. Building muscles builds strong bones. Other wise weight lifter would be braking more bones the stronger they got. Then you go off on general health. The subject at hand is bone density and how to aquire good density.

I believe it's a proven fact that a person who exercises, with a less a than stellar diet are going to be more fit than a sedantary person with a stellar diet.

I'd like to see a study were you have some lifting weights living a shit life style and another person with a good lifestyle with just normal every day activities and test there bone strength. Don't think you'll ever see a study like this so not much of a fact. ANd yes the subject at hand is bone density and yes diet effects bone density more then lifting weights imo. Many more plant based whole food cultures have much less bone issues then western countries and just about all these poor countries have no acess to weights. weight training does improve bone density though.

Many more plant based whole food cultures have much less bone issues then western countries and just about all these poor countries have no acess to weights. weight training does improve bone density though.

Yes and they don't have access to automobiles either, they have to walk to get there. meaning they get much more exercise than the average westerner who is waited on hand and foot, and sits behind a desk.

No I think the more you learn and the more you read you will see that the word out on the street is exercise is pivital to good health reguardless of what you eat. With one exception and that is you have such a poor nutritional diet that you succumb to diseases.