Biggest Loser Trainer goes Vegan

robert

Looks like back in Nov 2008 some people posted about him going vegan: http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showtopic=3158412&st=195 This is still news to me.

The timing coincides with his markedly thinner appearance in the last season. Apparently he has convinced Jillian to give up most meat, though she still eats fish. I'm interested to watch the next season and see how each of them hawk the jenny-o turkey and other diet non-food that pays for the show.

I've always liked Jillian more, but I think Bob was right in going off on Joelle and Filipe. I don't think I could put up with that crap nearly as long as he does. Well, maybe if I was getting paid well.

Just read the actual "article" which consisted of 3-4 questions with answers, barely covering 1/2 a page.

Yes, he does say vegetarian and not vegan. Though he references Skinny Bitch, The Engine 2 Diet, and Blue Zones as his inspiration. The first two of which are vegan books. And he's been tweeting about dairy replacements.

Regardless, still a huge improvement from "if it has a mother."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I heard about this a while ago and decided to watch an episode but thought it was boring and crazy. What's the deal with letting the fat people spin a "wheel" filled with calorie dense baked goods?
The show has gotten worse lately, but they're always had these stupid challenges and temptations. It's really an entertainment show and not a fitness one. They spend way too much time overdramatizing the fake drama.

• 4 months later...

I saw this on youtube . I guess it is a european version with I think sweden, norway and belgium. I was watching it for Pauline nordin. Yum. Anyways I guess the trainers are from each country, so it must be country versus country. Also the people arent nearly as fat as in the US. LOL

No Bob Harper is back to hawking dead animal. For a while he was omitting corpses, but he back on it now.

No Bob Harper is back to hawking dead animal. For a while he was omitting corpses, but he back on it now.
Where did you hear that? He's still tweeting about soy milk lattes and vegan sushi.

I think Bob and Jillian do the US and Australian versions.

First of all I take back everything bad I've said about biggest loser, I now love the show

And I think Bob is still vegan because he talks about vegan sushi, soy lattes, pea protein, 21 day vegan challenge that PCRM has and stuff all the time. Please post a source if you have one pazios

• 2 weeks later...

The issue of being a vegan and advocating non-vegan items for your job is, well, it can be dicey. I noticed that the lovely Marzia Price was added to the Profiles section of the website, and she works for the non-vegan Gaspari Nutrition.

On the one hand, you are making a choice to stay away from animal products and use your dollars to pull support from those companies, so it seems hypocritical to say, "Oh, by the way, everyone who's listening? Yeah, spend money here." It's like, if I just went out of my way to not spend money on it, why should I encourage others to spend money on it?

On the other hand, however, is the issue of "face time." If occasionally plugging a non-vegan item keeps me on TV where I can talk about veganism, then is that worth it? After all, people who are watching will know that Bob doesn't use the products, and will say, "Yeah, okay, he's advertising this...but he doesn't use it and look at what great shape he's in. Maybe I should try what he's doing instead of what he's selling."

I work at a supplement store and people don't like to hear preachiness pretty much ever, but when it comes from someone in a position to sell them things, they tend to be that much more skeptical. What I do is ask them what they're coming in for, and when they tell me I explain to them the benefits people claim, and then list some alternatives that are also vegan...but throw that in as an afterthought. A great example is the fish oil. I explain why people take fish oil, then offer some vegan oils as an alternative, by saying things like:

"It's cheaper."

"No more fish burps."

"You also get omegas 6 and 9, which fish doesn't contain."

"If you are avoiding fish for whatever reason, like if you can't have it because of allergies or if you're vegetarian or vegan, then don't feel like you must take the fish oil."