Soy milk - after or during workout?

Guest xzebrasx

I intend to neck a whole 1l carton of soymilk - way cheaper than buying protein powders. Is it better to do it after or during a workout? One other option I thought about is - soy milk during workout, then some wheat germ with cocoa/spirulina and some glucose afterwards, and a solid meal after about an hour. Any ideas?

A litre of soymilk would give me 30g protein and 34g carbs.

Anything but water would make me sick while training. Digestion is severly slowed in intense exercise, so no point to using it during workout anyway..

Aight, then I'll just mix all the ingredients together and get bloated after the session, rather than during

What about sipping water with glucose, though? As far as I know, it's supposed to keep energy levels up and get you in an anabolic state ASAP.

Try it and see how you feel. I think it really depends on how quickly your body metabolizes sugar. I've found that if I bring juice with me it helps a bit but I become dependent on it for the duration of the workout. If I don't have enough I crash and have to stop.

Try it and see how you feel. I think it really depends on how quickly your body metabolizes sugar. I've found that if I bring juice with me it helps a bit but I become dependent on it for the duration of the workout. If I don't have enough I crash and have to stop.

Got it, doc. I guess it's trial and error all over again - no magic ratios or one-size-fits-all solutions

I've heard bodybuilders sipping on a dextrose/water mixture during a workout... I personally drink water during. Dextrose is apparently absorbed the quickest by the body. I have it after a workout with creatine.