Which type of protein powder do you use?

Veganeu

Hi!

I have used a soy based protein powder and have also tried a hemp based one (wich had an awful taste!! ), but now I need to

order a new one and I think I will need the help of all the experts from this forum!

Before you start let me list a few things you will have to take in consideration:

1) No good vegan brands available here, I will have to order it from the UK or US, so shipping taxes will make it more expensive.

2) I can not pay 50euros for a month suply.

3) Want another form of protein besides soy.

Also, do you think is a good idea (if I want to gain 10kg!) to invest in stuff like Creatine, Glutamine, Nitric Oxide or even HGH I am

not serious about the hormones thing but Asteroids is something I am willing to try...

Thank you!

I use Nutribiotic Vegan Rice Proteins. The vanilla and the chocolate are good the Mixed Berry not so much

I also change it up with Bob's Red Mill Hemp Protein (not much protein content but I cut it with the rice protein)

I have never really been a fan of creatine just doesn't seem to do anything for my workouts. Glutamine is great with repairing your muscles. And watch out for all the HGH, IGF or other natural growth supplements. 9 times out of 10 the capsules are not Vegan.

NONE

only whole foods ... if it is synthetic I do my best to avoid it. I have ground up hemp seeds but I only eat them like a handful of nuts. Not as a dietary supplement. It is food add it as an ingredient.

Protein powder is not synthetic.

I'm sure pea protein in bulk isn't very expensive, I guess the flavour might just be an issue for you if you didn't like the hemp protein.

Of the other things you mentioned, i only think creatine monohydrate would be very beneficial for you at the moment. Keep it simple and you will get better results

Up untill now i used Soy protein for years, but now i found Pea protein powder in a local store, so i purchased it.

Since i only have it for a week or so, i can't say if i see better results, but i can say the taste is much better then the Soy protein.

Thank you all! (please have some )

I have thought about what you have said, also made some research and decided that I will eat more wholefoods instead

of buying suplements. I learned about protein extraction (acid wash, alcohol extraction, concentrates, isolates,...) and it seems

somehow weird to me as a person who prefers natural foods,... so chia seeds and chlorella will be part of my diet from now on.

Also I will be using other complete proteins as amaranth, quinoa, hempseeds, tempeh, pumpkin seeds and buckwheat more often

(I've tried spirulina for a few weeks before and I felt my body rejecting it).

Glutamine comes from glutamic acid, therefore I will add a glutamic acid rich source to my post-workout

shake, for example lupin flour, sesame milk (or butter), almond milk (or butter) or peanuts and hope it will have a similar effect

or at least a healthy effect!

It seems that creatine is made by our bodies from three separe aminoacids (methionine, glycine and arginine) wich come from

the food we eat, the better vegan sources are: soy, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, chlorella, spirulina, peanuts, lupins, brazilnuts and sunflower seeds.

I read about people having adverse effects from synthetic creatine, like cramps and I would really like to avoid it!

I am also tempted to use glucosamine because of my joints (and of my dogfriend too!), I appreciate all your insights!

Neu

I would love to make my own hemp/pea/b rice mix as vega is SOOO expensive....just can't afford at this time. Thinking a mix of those proteins plus spirulina and flax might be good.

I saw R's post about bodybuilding.com having lower prices on it, but with shipping it's virtually the same as whole foods... not much savings there.

Would love to manufacture one that's not overpriced. that would be cool...

I would love to make my own hemp/pea/b rice mix as vega is SOOO expensive....just can't afford at this time. Thinking a mix of those proteins plus spirulina and flax might be good.

I saw R's post about bodybuilding.com having lower prices on it, but with shipping it's virtually the same as whole foods... not much savings there.

Would love to manufacture one that's not overpriced. that would be cool...

trueprotein.com is where its at. not sure about that prices youve been seeing elsewhere, but vega prices are sky high (locally.)

heres how my order broke down:

Gemma Pea Protein Isolate non-GMO 40%

Hemp Protein Powder 30%

Rice Protein Concentrate non-GMO 20%

Glutamine Peptides 10%

came to around $20 for 2lbs worth. better than what i was paying before.

I am newly coming into the vegan lifestyle, or going 'raw' as I call it.

I see whey protein everywhere,

Anyone's take on that??

Thanks for the tips, it's a pretty cool group here.

Regards,

Gerry 'The Jeweler'

i got my mix in yesterday from trueprotein.com

Gemma Pea Protein Isolate non-GMO 40%

Hemp Protein Powder 30%

Rice Protein Concentrate non-GMO 20%

Glutamine Peptides 10%

Natural Premium Banana Flavour

first time with this mix and i was surprised at how good it was. mixed up well, no grit, no foam. it was nice on the stomach, no bloat. taste was really good as well.

i mix it with a custom carb mix PWO for maximum anabolic benefit

Maltodextrin %50

Dextrose %50

Electrolytes

Just got my first tub of TruProtein. Its pretty good and the cost is great. I went with a 50% Gemma, 30% Hemp, and 20% Rice Blend. Next time I think I'll flavor it but man for 2 lbs and a container/scoop with shipping for $25.00 I really can't beat that.

• 9 months later...

Looking at ordering a custom mix at trueprotein.com

Soy Protein Isolate non-GMO 20%

Gemma Pea Protein Isolate non-GMO 35%

Rice Protein Concentrate non-GMO 30%

Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA's) 15%

Total Calories 112.6

Protein 25.44g

Last minute I noticed in the description of BCAA it stats "Vegan or Vegetarian Safe: Many of the ingredients in this product are synthetically derived, but can often originate from animal byproducts."

Any recommendations on supplements I should add to replace BCAA? L-Glutamine?

I usually buy Prairie Naturals oganic dark chocolate Hemp-Force or the Pomgranate flavour, these protein powders and Vega are the only ones that I find it tastes good with just water.

Also Ruth's Hemp protein + Maca with E3Live has interesting nutritional value but it tastes horrible, but I use it sometimes or I put it in a fruit smoothie.

Last minute I noticed in the description of BCAA it stats "Vegan or Vegetarian Safe: Many of the ingredients in this product are synthetically derived, but can often originate from animal byproducts."

Any recommendations on supplements I should add to replace BCAA? L-Glutamine?

I'm not really sure there's any benefit in adding BCAAs to a protein mix that already contains a good amount of freeform aminos... but to answer your question the AjiPure BCAAs are vegan, despite TP's page having the same warning. (The normal trueprotein bcaas are not). If you check Ajinomoto's site they make a big deal out of them not being animal derived.

I use BCAAs alone when fasted. Supposedly works best / only works that way, but there's honestly not that much actual research out there about it.

Don't waste your money buying glutamine.