favorite diet "resolution"?

timetide

I bought Brendan Brazier's "Thrive" about a year ago. One of the things I liked is that he presented four suggestions to integrate into your daily diet to help improve overall health and athletic performance. One of them was to eat a big green salad each day.

For some reason, that resonated with me and I resolved to do it. For years I used to end up with wilted/rotted greens in my fridge because I knew I "should" eat them. Over the last six months I've managed to do it about six days out of seven, so I haven't quite reached my goal. But now I've trained myself to hit the local farmers' market on Saturday mornings, pick whatever produce looks good and stock up for the week (though I also do a midweek shop to supplement). One of my meals each day now is a big green salad with a variety of greens (I actually like raw kale and chard), lots of fresh veggies (green, yellow and purple beans are in season here now, shredded beats and carrots, etc.), a bit of protein (almonds, pumpkin seeds, avocado, tofu, etc.) and a dressing that's usually just fresh-squeezed lemon juice and cold-pressed, virgin olive oil (though it sometimes gets a bit fancier than that). Add some freshly ground flaxseed over top and lunch is ready.

For some reason, this time the resolution seems to be sticking. I have other diet "resolutions" that I'm working on, but this one has had the biggest impact on how I feel about how I'm eating right now. So I'm curious to know what other people are working on right now in terms of improving their diets.

(I'll assume that since this is a vegan board, we can skip "avoid consuming animal products" . . . although I guess that might be the case for people in transition to veganism.)

My current diet resolutions are to stop eating white flour and to limit sugar intake. I eat 4 servings of instant oats every morning now instead of eating bagels or pancakes. I am having a really hard time giving up white pasta though because I love pasta and whole-wheat pasta is strange. I used to drink a ton of fruit juices and lots of lemonade but I am really trying to cut back after reading that sugar drastically reduces immune function and whatnot. One diet resolution I have been making good progress on is increasing protein to at least 1g per kg bodyweight. O yea and to drink less beer. And to eat more raw garlic (usually chopping a clove and swallowing it like a pill). The raw garlic is great for everything except one's aroma. keeps away mosquitoes and vampires too

do you happen to remember Brazier's other 3 daily suggestions?

My current diet resolutions are to stop eating white flour and to limit sugar intake. I eat 4 servings of instant oats every morning now instead of eating bagels or pancakes. I am having a really hard time giving up white pasta though because I love pasta and whole-wheat pasta is strange. I used to drink a ton of fruit juices and lots of lemonade but I am really trying to cut back after reading that sugar drastically reduces immune function and whatnot. One diet resolution I have been making good progress on is increasing protein to at least 1g per kg bodyweight. O yea and to drink less beer. And to eat more raw garlic (usually chopping a clove and swallowing it like a pill). The raw garlic is great for everything except one's aroma. keeps away mosquitoes and vampires too

do you happen to remember Brazier's other 3 daily suggestions?

I was actually wrong about the four daily suggestions . . . it was five:

(1) Eat throughout the day.

(2) Drink a nutritious smoothie each day.

(3) Eat a big green salad each day.

(4) Eat a raw food energy bar each day.

(5) Eat a substantial, balanced afternoon snack.

One of the other things I appreciate is that he stresses you shouldn't make too many changes at once in your diet. And by the way, I'm with you on the juice thing . . . I limit myself to water, green/herbal tea, espresso and, once a week, as a treat/dessert/cheat type-thing, a fresh juice (usually with wheatgrass) from my local juice bar.

o well i am definitely down with the smoothies! everyday I blend a banana, frozen strawberries, 5-8 tablespoons of natural peanut butter, and orange juice. on gym days sometimes I have two smoothies!

Oats are a superfood for sure! I really need to get on the raw food though!

peace!

I bought a blender today so I could start making my own smoothies at home . . . first attempt was banana, strawberries (the last of the local and organic, on sale for $1.00/qt), hemp milk and ice. Blender worked terrific and it was a great Saturday night "dessert".

Next week I will start experimenting with some of the smoothie recipes from Brendan Brazier's Thrive . . . I'm kind of eager to try some of the green smoothies.

I just got the "Thrive" book, I love it! I started reading it a few days ago and it has really opened my eyes in what to eat pre and post workout. I've already started integrating the those into my workouts and it seems to help some. Also, I just tried the chocolate almond smoothie from the recipe section in the book, really good, although next time I'm going to use chocolate almond or hemp milk.

Well I'm out of all those store bought burges and hot dogs, and snacks, so starting tomorrow it will only be fresh friuts and veggies, (sometimes cooked). I have a little agave syrup left but I will try to save it. My goal is to get to the end of the month as a start. no tofu, soy butter, only olive oil, no rice milk or almonds and such.