Foods That Burn Calories! /you're going to love this, not

Vegan Joe

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/foods-that-burn-calories-492197

Eat Foods High in Fiber

Celery and cabbage have long been touted as "calorie burning" foods, simply because the energy used to digest these foods is greater than the energy, or calories, ingested by eating the foods. An added benefit of these foods is that they are fibrous and filling, which means you will feel satisfied faster and on many fewer calories that other food choices. Keep in mind, however, that you don't want your caloric intake to be too low to cause a drop in metabolism. When your metabolism drops, you will retain more weight as the body responds to what it thinks is a period of malnutrition.

Vitamin C is also believed to be a calorie burner and a weight loss booster. Foods that are high in Vitamin C and also high in fiber and low in calories include oranges, tangerines (fresh, not canned), grapefruit (which are 90 percent water!), limes and lemons.

Eat Low-Fat Dairy Products

Recent studies have been pointing to the fact that dieters who eat at least two to three servings of low-fat dairy products a day, like cottage cheese and yogurt, lose weight faster, keep it off longer, and lose more weight in the belly area than dieters who don't include dairy products in their diets.

Easy lunch additions include single-serving sizes of low-fat string cheese, individually wrapped low-fat cheese wedges, milk cartons (not just for elementary school cafeterias anymore) and even fat-free sour ...

Eat Low-Fat Dairy Products

Recent studies have been pointing to the fact that dieters who eat at least two to three servings of low-fat dairy products a day, like cottage cheese and yogurt, lose weight faster, keep it off longer, and lose more weight in the belly area than dieters who don't include dairy products in their diets.

Easy lunch additions include single-serving sizes of low-fat string cheese, individually wrapped low-fat cheese wedges, milk cartons (not just for elementary school cafeterias anymore) and even fat-free sour ...

I'll get right on that one.

They should have added a little disclaimer at the bottom:

"Note: Though eating dairy products may help you lose weight, it can also cause a lot of cows to be horribly mistreated. To find out more about the abuse of cows for your dairy products, visit cowsarecool.com."

Celery and cabbage have long been touted as "calorie burning" foods, simply because the energy used to digest these foods is greater than the energy, or calories, ingested by eating the foods.

I guess anorexics love those foods: not only they get zero calories, they even get minus 50 calories if they eat nothing but cabbage.

Celery and cabbage have long been touted as "calorie burning" foods, simply because the energy used to digest these foods is greater than the energy, or calories, ingested by eating the foods.

I guess anorexics love those foods: not only they get zero calories, they even get minus 50 calories if they eat nothing but cabbage.

Anorexic girls are awesome. I don't find gluttony attractive.

What? You don't like BIG MAMA?

What? You don't like BIG MAMA?

Is that a movie?

Anyway, no.

And I don't think anorexia is a disorder.

well its definitely a disorder, otherwise gluttony is not a disorder either and nothing is. Anorexics are obsessed by food 24/7, obsessed by not eating, obsessed by their weight, etc. But there are forms of anorexia that are not quite a disorder, these are not anorexia by definition, like some gurus that fast almost all the time but not because they want to be skinny, its about purification and stuff, like Meher Baba for instance; or some just dont eat because of a psychological trauma or stress that cause them to not eat but just drink coffee and smoke cigarettes, they dont think about eating or about food, they get in very bad health and very skinny but getting that skinny or avoiding food is not their priorities, but its a form of self-destruction...

I don't think gluttony is a disorder, I just don't find it attractive. I respect your opinion but personally I think it's obese people who are really damaging their health. Obesity dramatically increases one's chances of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and cancer, just to name a few. 66% of Americans are overweight. Fat acceptance movements are running high and I think it's great but what about acceptance for those at the other end of the spectrum? They face far more stigma and isolation. I have a cousin who is pro-ana and that has driven away a lot of the family - they just can't accept that it's none of their business what she chooses to do with her body, just like with fat people. She gets told off all the time, and no one sees anything wrong with that, yet if someone tells off a fat person for their choices, that person is criticized. I'm one of the few people in the family who continues to support her and stay friends with her. One time when we were hanging out a complete stranger approached her and said, "Oh my God, you're so thin, are you alright? Are you okay? Do you need someone to talk to?" Her intentions were good, as I'm sure she didn't realize how this could be seen as not only offensive but humiliating, but people need to be able to live their lives.

The diference between facts and personal opinions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorexic

Anorexia nervosa is a psychiatric illness that describes an eating disorder characterized by extremely low body weight and body image distortion with an obsessive fear of gaining weight. Individuals with anorexia nervosa are known to control body weight commonly through the means of voluntary starvation, excessive exercise, or other weight control measures such as diet pills or diuretic drugs. While the condition primarily affects adolescent females approximately 10% of people with the diagnosis are male. [1] Anorexia nervosa, involving neurobiological, psychological, and sociological components[2], is a complex condition that can lead to death in the most severe cases.

The term anorexia is of Greek origin: a (α, prefix of negation), n (ν, link between two vowels) and orexis (ορεξις, appetite), thus meaning a lack of desire to eat.[3]

"Anorexia nervosa" is frequently shortened to "anorexia" in the popular media. This is technically incorrect, as the term "anorexia" used separately refers to the medical symptom of reduced appetite (which therefore is distinguishable from anorexia nervosa in being non-psychiatric).

I don't think gluttony is a disorder, I just don't find it attractive. I respect your opinion but personally I think it's obese people who are really damaging their health. Obesity dramatically increases one's chances of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and cancer, just to name a few. 66% of Americans are overweight. Fat acceptance movements are running high and I think it's great but what about acceptance for those at the other end of the spectrum? They face far more stigma and isolation. I have a cousin who is pro-ana and that has driven away a lot of the family - they just can't accept that it's none of their business what she chooses to do with her body, just like with fat people. She gets told off all the time, and no one sees anything wrong with that, yet if someone tells off a fat person for their choices, that person is criticized. I'm one of the few people in the family who continues to support her and stay friends with her. One time when we were hanging out a complete stranger approached her and said, "Oh my God, you're so thin, are you alright? Are you okay? Do you need someone to talk to?" Her intentions were good, as I'm sure she didn't realize how this could be seen as not only offensive but humiliating, but people need to be able to live their lives.

I understand what you mean that anorexics are, in general, in better health than obese people. In general; but you'll see anorexics dying or in critical condition, just like Ethiopians dying of starvation, or war prisonners starved to death and also there has been many journalists in the 70's, 80's that have been made political prisonners overseas and went on hunger strike but died, you can see an example of this in steve mcqueen's movie 'Hunger'.

I believe that interminent fastings are very good for health in general; longevity, healing, regeneration of tissues, bodyfat, organs and all cells... but dont confuse anorexia with fasting. Anorexics dont get many vitamins and minerals so they are prone to deficiencies that can be fatal, and most anorexics dont abstain for food for health reasons but just to be skinny, so they choose unhealthy habits like smoking, coffee drinking, etc; causing acidosis, leading to all diseases.

If you say anorexia is not a disorder, how come anorexics say ''I'm fat'' when in fact they only have skin and bones and could not get more skinny then they are now ?

The diference between facts and personal opinions.

I am aware that this is my personal opinion... I never tried to present it as anything else. And yes, I've read the Wikipedia article on anorexia.

I understand what you mean that anorexics are, in general, in better health than obese people. In general; but you'll see anorexics dying or in critical condition, just like Ethiopians dying of starvation, or war prisonners starved to death and also there has been many journalists in the 70's, 80's that have been made political prisonners overseas and went on hunger strike but died, you can see an example of this in steve mcqueen's movie 'Hunger'.

I believe that interminent fastings are very good for health in general; longevity, healing, regeneration of tissues, bodyfat, organs and all cells... but dont confuse anorexia with fasting. Anorexics dont get many vitamins and minerals so they are prone to deficiencies that can be fatal, and most anorexics dont abstain for food for health reasons but just to be skinny, so they choose unhealthy habits like smoking, coffee drinking, etc; causing acidosis, leading to all diseases.

If you say anorexia is not a disorder, how come anorexics say ''I'm fat'' when in fact they only have skin and bones and could not get more skinny then they are now ?

But you can also die from being overweight! It is just as dangerous, if not more so, although it might kill you more slowly. My cousin has been pro-ana for years and is still alive and as far as I can tell perfectly healthy... she does eat, she just eats very little, and she runs 6x a week. In the old days when people didn't always have enough food a lack of extra fat could be dangerous in the case that there were a famine, but in America today that's not an issue; we have plenty of food but people continue to eat like they're starving when they're anything but. When people go on hunger strikes they don't eat anything at all, but people can eat and still be considered anorexic depending on the frequency and amount. My cousin has never said she's fat; she recognizes that she is very thin and is happy with herself that way. One who is thin but thinks herself fat would have Body dysmorphic disorder, but this is different from anorexia.

Perhaps the title of this thread should be modified to let people know this could be triggering? Not sure of the ED history of other forum members...

Anyway, I'm glad I figured out I like eating healthy vegan foods rather than living off of coffee and cigarettes and obsessing over weight and what clothing size I am. I didn't find that much fun.

I'm glad you've found the option that's best for you, lobster. More power to you. And if other people want to eat cake and brownies all day and die of a heart attack at an early age, more power to them - that's their choice. But society should stop pushing that girls who make a third choice have a disorder and need to be "fixed" or "cured." If they want to change, fine, but the assumption that all of them do is wrong; some of them even became that way intentionally to begin with.

• 3 months later...

There are certain foods which actually burn more fat than the calorie content of the food itself. These fat burning foods are natural plant foods.

Fruits rich in vitamin C like limes, lemons, oranges, guava, grapefruit and tangerines have fat burning properties so they may be called as FAT BURNING FOODS or FAT BURNERS or FIGHTERS. Vitamin C dilutes the fat and makes it less effective and helps in releasing the fat from the body.

Chilies: Foods containing chillies or cayanne pepper are considered to be as foods that burn fat. Chillies contain capsaicin that helps in increasing the metabolism. Capsaicin is a thermogenic food, so it causes the body to burn extra calories for 20 minutes after you eat the chilies.

Note that in order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you consume. This can be done by eating fat fighting foods and doing some physical activity. This will help your body burning up the excessive stored fat.

• 3 months later...

no foods can burn calories - everything u eat will contain at least a few joules of energy (calories)

the only way eating food can make u loose calories is by burning calories while eating it. An example of this is celery; the chewing of it burns more calories than you gain by eating it. However, the amount of calories burned will be very few - this is not a weight loss cure.

As for food speeding up your metabolism, there are supplements and herbal remedies that claim to do this. However, i have seen no evidence that any supplement has been clinically trialed and therefore their effect is not guaranteed.

The only way to guarantee a increase in metabolic rate is through exercise.

To think that anorexia is largely the result of women (and, much more rarely, men) in a vacuum deciding without any input from society that they should be unhealthily thin is absurd. Your cousin would very likely not be anorexic if she were raised in a different time or place.

Yes, people have the right to do whatever they please with their bodies (such as food addiction, drug addiction, etc) but calling something a disorder has little to do with the rights of the individual to damage their health. Anorexia is, by definition a disorder and one that often leads to death when untreated. Yes, the same can be said about overeating and in cases of morbid obesity/out of hand food addiction people are treated rather similarly to a severely underweight anorexic.

Everyone, brace yourselves...I agree with I'm Your Man!

Aryan, vegimator makes a good point. Anorexia is not a free-willed choice. The reason it is classified as a mental health disorder is because it includes (as defined by Hilde Bruch) "A disturbance in Body Image & Body Concept of delusional proportions." A delusion is defined in the DSM-IV as "A false belief based on incorrect inference about external reality that is firmly sustained despite what almost everybody else believes and despite what constitutes incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary." That's why anorexics who are literally too weak to stand up under their own power still see themselves as fat, and/or fear they will become fat if they eat more. This is a core feature of anorexia, and does not move someone over into the category of body dysmorphic disorder (which has entirely different diagnostic criteria). Your cousin might be pro-ana, but to be classified as anorexic, she must meet several criteria other than just eating very little, including amenorrhea (the loss of her menstrual periods), and intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat. These are core features of the disorder, and without them, a diagnosis of anorexia cannot be made. If she is truly happy with her size, and is not intensely scared of gaining weight, then she is not anorexic. If she has not starved herself to such a low body weight that her periods have ceased due to lack of production of hormones, she is not anorexic. And if so, then she cannot be held as an example of an anorexic who is "healthy".

Furthermore, contrary to your claims, anorexia is far more dangerous to one's health than obesity. A meta-analysis revealed an 889% increased 5-10 year mortality rate in anorexics and 858% increased 10-15 year mortality. This makes it the highest-mortality psychiatric disorder (yes, significantly higher than schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depressive disorders) A short list of studies supporting this data:

Moller-Madsen et al., Acta Psychiatr Scand 1996: 94: 454-459

Patton, Psych Med 1988 18:947-51

Fichter et al., Int J Eat Disord 26:359-385, 1999

Eckert et al., Psych Medicine 1995 25:143-56

Crow, Int J Eat Disord 26: 97-101, 1999