Newbie from NYC

missyjane

Hi there!

I've been vegan for seven years and a vegan activist for 6. I love what being vegan has done for my body--slimmed me down, although since I entered my mid-thirties (and got married), I've noticed my weight creeping back up again. I'd been swimming, doing the elliptical, and weights/physical therapy exercises for back pain, but it wasn't really bringing my weight down. Over the past month or so, I've started jogging twice a week and loving it, swimming once a week, and doing strength training twice a week.

The weight is starting to come off, and my friend told me I'm starting to look "diesel." Hey, I'll take it! lol! I'd still like to drop another 3-4 lbs. and tighten up my tummy and my tush.

I'd also like to learn more about which nutritionally dense and delicious foods I should incorporate into my diet for optimal nutrition and performance. I crave sugar and simple carbs every day (cake, cookies, ice cream!) but I know that way lies madness. I'd like to satisfy those cravings without giving in to poor nutrition and health.

Really glad to have found this forum. It's funny--I used to think bodybuilders and people who were SO into fitness were egotistical and self-absorbed. Now I know that there is nothing selfish in wanting to look and feel great, especially since we have to be at our best physically and emotionally for the hard work of advocating for the animals and the planet, Plus, we're walking billboards for the vegan lifestyle.

Look forward to learning tons and being inspired by you all...

Welcome!

Enjoyed your web site. Originally from Long Island (37 years since I left).

Finished up all my soy ice cream and such, though I found a container of almond milk, that I used for breading some eggplant, and chocolate milk.

Going to give up all those fineries at least until the 30th, hoping to keep most of it at bay.

Best of luck with your goals, and thanks again for the link.

When do you crave the sugars? Is it post workout, at night, AM? Also did you used to have sugar rituals? You know where you would have sugar in conjunction with time, feelings or events. Sugar is a drug, and you are basically doing something akin to quitting smoking. I am curious if is a deficiency in diet or something else. Congrats on the increase in exercise. Welcome to the forum, there are some really great folks here.

Use stevia and low a glycemic sweeteners such as agave nectar to make your own treats.

Welcome to the board!

When do you crave the sugars? Is it post workout, at night, AM? Also did you used to have sugar rituals? You know where you would have sugar in conjunction with time, feelings or events. Sugar is a drug, and you are basically doing something akin to quitting smoking. I am curious if is a deficiency in diet or something else. Congrats on the increase in exercise. Welcome to the forum, there are some really great folks here.

Yes! Answer these questions and see where you are.

I crave treats when I have low serotonin (through stress or some other reason) and have learned to do the following:

1. Eat a pile of green food. Kale, Salad, lots. With LIGHT dressing.

2. If it is not an orgasm in my mouth, it's not worth it.

3. Make it with stevia, have a protein bar, make a banana, vega, sunwarrior, smoothie.

4. Eat it in moderation, 1-2 x per week.

The worst (best) treat lately is Tempt hemp ice cream, tooooooo effen good. So I've banned it from the house and simply won't buy it.

11. Women: Looking to get fit and curvy? Re-think your contraceptive.

Chang-Woock Lee and Steven Riechman of Texas A&M University and Mark Newman of the University of Pittsburgh did a study to confirm what a lot of fitness savvy women already know: the hormones in the pill cause a significant decrease in muscle. These two researchers showed how two groups of women on the same moderately higher protein, strength training diet faired after 10 weeks. The women not taking the oral contraception had a 60% increase in lean mass. In addition the women who took the oral contraception had higher cortisol levels.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2068091/my_top_10_ultimate_fat_burning_tips_pg4.html?cat=5

Thanks, all, for the warm welcome, good tips and wise counsel.

I find I crave the bad stuff mostly late afternoons (between 4 and 6) and then again after dinner. I think part of it is physical (low blood sugar late afternoons) and part emotional (always ate a sugary snack or dessert after school and after dinner growing up).

My boss asked me to bake something for an event tonight, so I chose a brownie recipe that used whole wheat flour, a baked beet, maple syrup, and barley malt to flavor and sweeten it. I'm sure it's packed with calories, but they'll be slightly less empty at least. I often do smoothies late afternoons, but they're naturally pretty sugary, I bet, so I should watch that. Plus, I usually use agave to sweeten my tea, for example. Will have to try Stevia.

You'll be happy to know that I plugged veganbodybuilding.com (including dropSoul's transformation pics!) to hundreds of vegan mentees in my Vegan at Heart program this week: http://www.kindgreenplanet.org/programs/veganatheart/weeklymission/?page=1 I can tell from my newsletter program that dozens of people have clicked on the pics and explored the site and forums--yay!

All best to you,

Marisa