is this cardio crazy?

Hey everyone...

So, I know that doing cardio at a separate time from your weight training is the best...but, if you are trying to get bigger AND get cut at the same time...how is this?

I am basically weight training for about an hour and a half or so...some days going heavy, and some days just doing more reps...then after my weight session I do about 30-45min cardio.

What does everyone think? Any other ideas?

Holler!

Hey DCNINJA,

I don't necessarily think this will accomplish my goal, that is why I am posed the question. And, because a lot of people have different theories on cardio. I know people that don't have to do any cardio and they are rock solid...me, I think I need the extra. I think it is helping as I have been slimming down and gaining muscle fast.

I just wanted to know how people organize their workouts and include cardio in them because I know weight training can take up a lot of time.

I eat very clean...mostly raw foods and high protein. It is rare that I have sweets or anything.

If you think you need to burn more calories, yes you can do some cardio. But if for instance you run 1hour each day and do less weight training, you're gonna look like a thin marathoner. So you can do 1 minute sprints (run at your max speed, rest/walk 3 minutes, run 1 minute, etc), when you work with explosiveness it makes a more prominent musculature. What you can do so that it does not take too much time out of your weight lifting session: do circuit training, that means you never rest between sets so it raises your cardio. You can also do cardio that uses your muscles a lot, like shadow boxing with free weights or speed rope jumping.

What's going on I'm Your Man,

Thanks for the tips. I recently got a gym boss (http://www.gymboss.com/) and I have been doing about 15 rounds of High Intensity Interval Training on days when I don't have the time to do more than 20min or so of cardio...and, it is good to mix it up.

Thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to get a sense of how other people manage their time in the gym between weights and cardio.

Holler.

I asked the question because a lot of times we do things without knowing why. I have a hard time losing body fat. I am an efficient storer of body fat. Yeah me. My genetic ancestors lived through famine thereby allowing me to be born with the ability to store fat. Thanks.

If I was going to comment on your workouts, I would say you have some long ones that could be cut down to size. Cardio helps burn fat, but it is not necessary. A lot of the leanest and hardest competitive bodybuilders do none. I have seen, believe it or not, fat marathoners with good times. So to cardio or not to cardio is the question, but why and if so how much is the likely follow up with at what intensity.

I recommend never taking more than one hour in the gym. If you add in cardio, then 1:45 is the maximum. You control fat two ways:

Burn rate--more muscle on your frame burns more fat. More exercise burns more calories resulting in less stored fat.

Input--You may be eating too much or believe it or not, too little. Timing is also an issue for diets. Let's just say if you want to get lean learn to eat six meals with about 300-400 kcal each, and have as much protein in there as you can.

A word about weight training here. If you want to get lean get rid of anything machine. If it is a machine, then it is probably not your friend. Do deadlift, squat, clean, press, lunge, dip, pull up, and activate every muscle in your body. No concentration one armed seated machine arm doohicky will make you lean. You need to hit it hard.

Use your training and diet to create a 500 kcal per day deficit, this should cut you up at about a pound of body fat per week. If you are lifting heavy, then you should be tighter and harder too.

DCNINJA, thanks...that makes a lot of sense. I have just been changing it up and trying to figure out what works best for my body...I have seen a great increase in size (not fat) lately...so, that is good.

Also, machines are not a part of my workout...so, I know what you mean. I am hitting it hard, for sure.

I might try cutting back the amount of time I am spending in the gym for sure. Thanks for the input, my friend.

as long as you have a sound weight lifting routine and a proper diet, the LBM will come. consistency is the key, just work on refining that.

i prefer to do my cardio before eating that day (there are varying schools of thought on this,) but its not always ideal. so if im starved, ill take in some oats which burn slow and coffee to surpress my appetite long enough to get through the cardio. and if im having a shit-tired day, ill move my cardio to the end of the routine. that way i know ill have enough gas in the tank to finish those final reps.

increasing your LBM raises your metabolism overall, cardio only raises your metabolism for a few hours after your workout.