Raising chickens: Is it ethical?

aryan

Animals are having babies because of their natural instinct of reproduction and survival so their specie wont die. For humans its a bit different, they want to have babies like they want cars, or simply to experience all the joys (and nightmares) of raising kids etc... Now ask yourself why do you want chickens for...

Let's keep this simple:

BUYING chickens so you can keep them and use them for their eggs - not at all in line with vegan ideology, basically exploitation of the animal for your own gain. There's no difference between this and buying a dog from a terrible puppy mill vs. taking in a shelter dog. Except that, in the case of chickens, you're happily eating the bird's potential young. How is this thought process even remotely vegan again?

Taking in RESCUED chickens in need of a home because you're concerned with their well-being first and foremost (and not for the sake of wanting to eat eggs under the "happy meat" theory), no problems there.

Seriously, the fact that this is even open for debate on a vegan forum about the "ethics" of buying chickens to eat their eggs is a no-brainer. Aryan is going to do what they want regardless, as the justifications for their desire are very strong and they're deflecting everything rather than addressing the facts of the matter.

• 4 weeks later...

My ex-girlfriend just got chickens to raise. She was a hardcore, generic omni (raised as a farm kid) when we met and said she would never change, despite my position. After a period of us dating, she did modify her views, no longer taking part of or supporting factory farming, which was significant in her experience (and, a big change to me AND the animals subjected to it) but still buying "organic" meat and still supports hunting...God, I it truly pains me to think of THAT. I admit, I still dislike the idea of exploiting these chickens for eggs (they are so easy to replace, it seems pointless, as well!) but it is a big step in the right direction in my opinion. Yet, I do not think it is vegan! Labels aside, It seems a lesser evil, at least, but an obvious exploitation, rather than a rescue, nonetheless. But, yes, let us keep things respectful and civil! Most likely, none of us will ever get this perfect; it is not that simple all of the time. Let us support those who ask like-minded people for thoughts on the issue. Is it vegan to say that one catches more flies with honey? Ha Ha...