Skinny Bitch

SeaSiren

I got this off another website and about fell of my chair laughing! Apparantly their is a book called Skinny Bitch, sounds bad (and funny) at first but here's the review:

Not your typical boring diet book, this is a tart-tongued, no-holds-barred wakeup call to all women who want to be thin. With such blunt advice as, "Soda is liquid Satan" and "You are a total moron if you think the Atkins Diet will make you thin," it's a rallying cry for all savvy women to start eating healthy and looking radiant. Unlike standard diet books, it actually makes the reader laugh out loud with its truthful, smart-mouthed revelations. Behind all the attitude, however, there's solid guidance. Skinny Bitch espouses a healthful lifestyle that promotes whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, and encourages women to get excited about feeling "clean and pure and energized."

The author is a former model, which explains the title. The whole "tell it like it is" approach is intriguing to me. And the fact that she promotes healthy non-processed food is refreshing.

I think I'm going to have to read this one, even if it's for the entertainment value alone.

(Although, I have always been told I have an offbeat sense of humor.)

I like that it promotes a vegan diet.

I've read the reviews of it on Amazon.com, and one reviewer in particular is really p%@$@d that's it's a sneaky way to promote veganism. She wanted a "how to lose weight" book, not a "how to be a vegan" book.

I like that it promotes a vegan diet.

I've read the reviews of it on Amazon.com, and one reviewer in particular is really p%@$@d that's it's a sneaky way to promote veganism. She wanted a "how to lose weight" book, not a "how to be a vegan" book.

Well, if I could I would have responded to her:

HHHEEEEELLLLLLLLOOOOOOO? What makes you think losing weight and going from omni to herbivore are mutually exclusive journeys? I swear people are so ignorant....

I have an online friend on another veg board who's sister was very overweight & had tried every frickin' diet there is with little success. He finally asked her why she doesn't try a vegan diet. She looked at him with & he replied, "You ate grapefruit for an entire week once; cabbage soup for another week. What the heck do you have to lose? You will have more to choose from than those 2 diets & if you give it an honest effort, I guarantee you will lose weight & feel better in 2-3 weeks." Amazingly, she tried it & stuck to it for about 12 weeks & lost about 25 pounds. She claimed her skin never looked better. Last I heard she went back to eating meat/dairy, her weight loss has slowed down, but she was still making progress.

Soda is liquid Satan -- I love it! I must remember that next time I crave a Coke -- in about 10 minutes.

I will definitely check out this book. Thanks for the recommendation, SS.

havent read it but I like it already because:

A) It is BLUNT AND STRAIGHTFORWARD (i DETEST insincerity and b.s.)

B) It sounds like it promotes a vegan diet.

in reverse order.

Same here. I ordered this book a few days ago and am anxiously waiting for it. I'll post my review once I've read it.

I speed read it in about an hour or two. I'll have to sit down and read it slowly and properly at some point.

For any of us who have already read about vegan nutrition and the meat, dairy, and egg industries, there's not really anything new in this book. It's just a different approach to presenting it.

I'm interested to hear what other folks think of it.

I'm about half way through and I must say she is rather crass. I was expecting her to be blunt, but she can curse like a sailor! I knew there was some cursing, but I don't curse so I find it a bit hard to get through since it is very new for me to read so much of it.

The first chapter really lays it on the line, I like the underlying message but as stated before I think she overdid it on shock value as far as the cursing.

As the chapters go on it isn't as strong (or maybe I am getting used to it). The chapters on animals are basically review for vegans, but I think would be rather informative for a non-veg.

I do think she really lays it on the line and approaches everything as "no excuses just do it or be fat!" The aspartame information, I new some about but she had abundant info on which is very disconcerning. I'm a diet pepsi addict, I don't think this will be an issue anymore!

I'll post more when I am finished.

I had such a.......well "day" yesterday that I forgot to post. (so glad it's over)

Anyway, I finished the book; the second half went much faster. Overall, I really like the book and I like how they wrapped it up. They give you 4 weeks of meal planning which is great for me. I don't plan on using the menus for the entire day, but I get stuck in the "what's for dinner rut" and end up making the same thing over and over. They had some yummy ideas. Although, I plan to start switching dinner and lunch to eat most of my calories mid day.

But I digress.... In conclusion I recommend the book and hope more omni persons will pick it up.

• 7 months later...

I saw this book advertised recently but have found it almost impossible to get a copy over here ...

I think I'm going to have to pay internation delivery and get it shipped, but I would really like to read it just to see if its as good as everyone claims

• 2 weeks later...
I think I will look into getting a copy of this book. As someone who is trying to lose weight, it might be helpful and sounds like more fun to read than your typical diet book. And the fact that it promotes veganism is even better! I can't wait until payday when I will have some spare cash.

I finally got my copy via amazon uk. They even sell second hand copies of books now so its worth checking it out, you may find you can get it really cheaply

Cool, does it really suggest veganism? I often see books which are like 'Yeah vegetables are the healthiest things, fruits, nuts, beans, brown rice, wholemeal, drink plenty of water... oh yeah and eat fish and chicken as well DUHUgH! Cuz dey hav majicul ingredeentz!1"

That's cool if it really does suggest veganism, because that kind of thing can get people into it without them knowing, which is a good way to sidestep all those arguments and crap.

Cool, does it really suggest veganism? I often see books which are like 'Yeah vegetables are the healthiest things, fruits, nuts, beans, brown rice, wholemeal, drink plenty of water... oh yeah and eat fish and chicken as well DUHUgH! Cuz dey hav majicul ingredeentz!1"

That's cool if it really does suggest veganism, because that kind of thing can get people into it without them knowing, which is a good way to sidestep all those arguments and crap.

Yes, It's vegan! Most of their reviews are very positive. However, there are a few negative book reviews from omni's who said they "thought they were getting a diet book, but end up getting a book pushing a vegan agenda, if they wanted a book on veganism they would have bought one" You can't help some people.