Does anyone else hate the Leg Extension?

I haven't done this in a long time usually just do Squats and Dead Lifts. However I am on a off week for Deads and figured hell why not hop on the leg extension for a few sets. I don't know if its me or what but that machine does a number on my knees. Sure my quads are working pretty well but my knees feel like Joe Pesci just took a hammer to them.

Anyone else experience this aggravating discomfort? And if so what are some other leg exercises you all do? I basically just do Squats, Deads and Calf Presses but feel like I should mix it up with something else.

For many people, leg extension machine is always hard on the knees (I'm one of those people).

I can goof around and do some really light weight on one, but anything heavy and my knees are screaming at me to stop. Doesn't matter if I angle my legs or not, anything above extremely light weights and it's not good for me.

Trust me, you're not alone in being someone that the leg extension machine doens't agree with!

I like the Leg extension machine. At some point I think it was hurting my knees too, but not anymore, and I believe its especially the squats with barbell and Hack squat machine which were harming my knees. Now I just do the leg extensions and my knees are fine - what I like about it is that I notice improvements at each time, lifting 20-40 extra pounds each time, so that now I lift the maximum available on the machine at my gym. Personally I dont like doing squats, especially with heavy load, but using bodyweigth its ok.

You can do Leg press instead. Otherwise for cardio that work the legs you can do speed rope or bicycle.

Leg extensions put a lot of strain on the ACL. I don't like to use it much..

I like the hack squat machine, and squatting in the squat rack better. Only thing I've hurt my knees doing is lunges cuz I have a hard time with my form when I use weights. Body weight is fine though if I keep my hands on my hips.