Why Soy Free?

delabeaux

Most of what I have read says that soy.... and a few other select sources (like Quinoua (sp)) are complete protein sources.

I have read a few articles (peer reviewed journal abstracts) that have some correlative but not causative evidence that

soy might be linked to some late life brain diseases and/or dysfunction.

Why should I, a new vegan, look for other sources if I supplement protein in powder form? What are good alternatives and why? (Yes, I see all of the posts on what everyone is using, just not why).

Thanks in advance.

Pffft! That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Soy does NOT cause brain damage amage amage amage amage amage amage

;p.

Well, http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soymessina seems to sum up most of the controversies well, but has a 'pro-soy' slant. Yet, www.mercola.com is vastly anti-processed soy (though fine with less or un-processed forms (tempeh, etc). Just search soy on mercola.com to get about 10 pages of why they got beef, or vegan beef substitute, with soy.

I'm just (mostly) wondering why most people who post what their 'protein' powder is, seems to be soy free. Is there some super secret detriment to soy that I"m unaware of?

I have read a few articles (peer reviewed journal abstracts) that have some correlative but not causative evidence that

soy might be linked to some late life brain diseases and/or dysfunction.

I have heard alot of things that have been thrown around regarding negative impacts of soy. This will now go down as one of the most ridiculous ones next to my personal favorite "men could possibly grow breats" one.

I response to your question of why most of us don't seem to use soy protein powder as a supplement I can only speak for myself but I eat enough soy from tempeh, tofu and soymilk that I would rather get my powder supplements from a mixed protein source (gemma, hemp, rice). I have always lived by the idea its better to not put all your egg replacers in one basket.

Edited by Pegesus

Why should I, a new vegan, look for other sources if I supplement protein in powder form?

If you don't have a thyroid problem or a soy allergy soy is safe.

Soy is a frequently occurring topic on veg*n sites, so I've collected a few reassuring articles in a dedicated category on my blog:

http://beforewisdom.com/blog/?cat=23

If that is not enough search on "soy" on the search engine here, veganfitness.net and tmuscle.com

Edited by beforewisdom

Yet, http://www.mercola.com is vastly anti-processed soy (though fine with less or un-processed forms (tempeh, etc). Just search soy on mercola.com to get about 10 pages of why they got beef, or vegan beef substitute, with soy.

That says it all right there. I've had so many people come back with "Mercola.com says soy is terrible!", yet they don't realize that Mercola, like so many others, is selling his own line of goods which he needs to promote over everything else. Like anything, you'll find some articles that say soy is the worst thing ever, others that claim it's a miracle. Moderation is key, but of course, that doesn't make a dime for anyone to state, so Mercola says it's terrible and then wants to rook you into his line of stuff or one of his programs.

Rule #1, always be wary of people who shout "Ingredient XXX is evil....now let me tell you about MY products that will save your health!"

Yes. I realise he is not presenting peer-reviewed information, but a few of his articles do have links to abstracts which are peer-reviewed.

Which is why I posted who better to be the most knowledgeable than long-time vegans?

I appreciate all of the replies. Thanks!

Very true Ryan.

Robert Cohen of notmilk.com tried that stunt a few years ago. He started screaming how carrageen ( a seaweed), a common additive in soy milk is unhealthy. At about the same time he started selling home soy milk makers.

Anyone around me after I drink carrageen is risking possible health problems. Carrageen and Vega I just can't get to play nice with my stomach.