fish as a "health" food

madcat

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well then i suppose you have to say that every organisation has an agenda, so you have to take everything said by everyone with a pince of salt and draw your own conclusions, rather than taking propaganda material as gospel........thoughts people?

jonathan

I think the argument about cow's milk being for calves is more of an ethical one than a health one.

I disagree,

it's not only the ethical point: it's because there is a large content of cholesterol in milk and it's products. Humans consume milkproducts maybe for about 2000 years. Over 40 percent of humans in the whole world don't tolerate lactose...

well then i suppose you have to say that every organisation has an agenda, so you have to take everything said by everyone with a pince of salt and draw your own conclusions, rather than taking propaganda material as gospel........thoughts people?

jonathan

I prefer to get my information from valid scientific sources. It's hard to tell who's being paid off by whom and for what though.

jonathan

Yeah that's what I told him earlier in this thread.

I prefer to get my information from valid scientific sources. It's hard to tell who's being paid off by whom and for what though.

They're all valid but all biased. They all have agendas. They are all getting paid by someone. There is no such thing as objectivity. Expose yourself to multiple biased sources and come to your own conclusion.

I wish people could understand that there is no such thing as objectivity. It drives me nuts that the MSM news pretends some kind of magical objectivity and people actually believe it and think they don't need to look at any other source.

They're not necessarily outright lying, so much as twisting their 'research' to support their agenda.

To "twist" your research would be to lie. Which they are not doing.

They're an animal rights organization so naturally all of their research is going to reflect that, regardless of whether it's the truth or not. So of course, according to them, eating fish is unhealthy because.

If it's not the truth, then it's a lie. But they aren't lying. Yes, they do studies with the hopes of finding provegan findings, the same as studies funded by the meat industry hope to have promeat/antivegan findings. So again, you take it all with a "pinch of salt" and put it together and come to your own conclusion.

With all this said, it's OK to point out the agenda of each group. That just doesn't mean what they say is a lie or only worth totally dismissing out of hand.

I think the argument about cow's milk being for calves is more of an ethical one than a health one.

I disagree,

it's not only the ethical point: it's because there is a large content of cholesterol in milk and it's products. Humans consume milkproducts maybe for about 2000 years. Over 40 percent of humans in the whole world don't tolerate lactose...

They sell lactose free milk at the supermarket

jonathan

I agree Sinister.

I would just add though that I have increasingly come to realize over the years that even "neutral" and "objective" scientific processes and data can be value-laden, so the objectivity and neutrality of "cold, hard science" is often more ostensible than actual.

Edited by compassionategirl

jonathan

Wise words from one so young.

jonathan

true, but I (as I am sure most of us here, including you if I know you at all by now ) would give the benefit of any doubt to an organization with a compassionate and/or noble "agenda" sooner than we would give it to one with a capitalist, exploitative agenda.

Most lactose intolerant people can handle other forms of dairy anyway. I think the only argument for not drinking milk is because it is unethical in unnatural. Many many people who drink milk are health. Just as many people who drink alcohol are health and many people who do drugs are health. For the most part I think we should stop using the health aspect to entice people into being vegan, because the first time they feel run down or get sick they’ll realize that being vegan doesn’t make you superman.

Most lactose intolerant people can handle other forms of dairy anyway. I think the only argument for not drinking milk is because it is unethical in unnatural. Many many people who drink milk are health. Just as many people who drink alcohol are health and many people who do drugs are health. For the most part I think we should stop using the health aspect to entice people into being vegan, because the first time they feel run down or get sick they’ll realize that being vegan doesn’t make you superman.

I second that.