Intermittent fasting

xjohanx

My food intake as per Johan's request on the Dr. Fuhrman bodybuilding thread:

I now eat a meal pre-workout, because it is too hard to cram all that food in after a workout.

Pre-workout (lunch-ish) smoothie

Enough kale to fill the blender (Vita-Mix)

1lb frozen spinach

1 orange

1T flax

1 cup strawberries

1 cup blueberries

Post-workout smoothie

1lb spinach

1/4 dried goji berries

1 whole banana (skin and all)

1T flax

Then when I get home, I eat a soup made with

2 cups dried beans, cooked

1lb leafy greens

1lb solid vegetables

1 6oz can tomato paste

1/4 cup nutritional yeast

1/4 cup nuts/seeds

I blend half of it to make a creamy soup, then eat half of it, usually with a piece of fruit and some carrots.

Last meal

Some raw veggies dipped into my soup, while it is thick, before reheating

The other half of my soup

A banana with nut butter

This is a lot of volume, yes. I should probably cut back on the veggies, because at that level of consumption, I am probably not gaining anything. Also, I shouldn't fill my stomach so much. I usually stop once my hunger signals (true hunger) dissipate, but that usually requires a full (surprisingly, not stuffed) stomach. Until today, I used to add 1/2 cup nuts/seeds instead of 1/4 cup to my soup. I want to get rid of this last bit of fat on my stomach, so I halved the nuts and seeds there. The sheer volume of food should keep my true hunger in check.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man. Our diets are very very different it seems . Yours is def healthier though. I'm actually kind of fading out a lot of fat too, I used to eat huge amounts of nuts and seeds and was up to 30e% of fat most days. Now I'm usually around 20% and it feels a lot better. I'm less hungry the day after and I feel more energetic. I also might starting to make green smoothies again to get more veggies and berries in my diet. Those fill me up too much to eat in large quantities since I want to gain.

Wow I have never heard of someone using the whole banana skin and all. What does that taste like? Yeah Vitamix.

So in your preworkout meal, you put the kale in to the top then breakit down with the vitamix then add a pound of spinach?

What are the nuts and seeds you use in the soup at night? Are you getting your seeds and nuts wholesale? How about the nutritional yeast? I have to buy it by the case as the health food store wont sell it anyother way. Bummer.

Pazios: Using the whole banana makes it a little less sweet and gives it a creamier texture, but you have to freeze the banana for at least 24 hours first, or it will leave your smoothie gritty. I buy my nuts and seeds mostly from Trader Joe's, except for my sesame seeds, which I get from bulkfoods.com, which is where I also buy my nutritional yeast. My flax comes from Whole Foods, because Trader Joe's doesn't sell raw flax

Luckily, I was curious about the same thing as you, Johan, and also wanted to know the inflammation factor of my diet, so I put a workout day into the Cron-O-Meter about a week ago. I just updated it with the new amount of seeds I eat (I also nixed a TBSP of flaxseed). My macro breakdown doesn't show up on this report, but it is 19% PRO, 16% FAT, 65% CHO. The fat percentage went lower than I really wanted with the exclusion of those nuts and seeds, but so long as it is at least above 10%, I am fine with it. Above 15% is probably the lowest I would go, though. The report is at the bottom of my post. I am leaving in all the vitamins and minerals, just because they are insane and I want people to see them.

I just noticed Offense74's post. I would love to get those DVDs, those sound like interesting lectures. As far as longevity goes, the most proven things seem to be a diet low in animal products and processed food (well, many long-lived people eat/ate white rice), and high in vegetables. Anything other than that is really up for debate, it seems.

I agree on the metric system. I would be all for a total conversion over to it. Fuck the people who are afraid to change, or who insist they are too old to do so. The metric system is so easy, and if you can't figure it out, I don't know how you manage to not stab yourself in the eye with your toothbrush every morning.

===========================================

Nutrition Summary for November 8, 2009

Report generated by CRON-o-Meter v0.9.6

General (92%)

Energy | 2771.9 kcal 85%

Protein | 165.4 g 295%

Carbs | 484.2 g 372%

Fiber | 193.2 g 508%

Fat | 50.1 g 77%

Water | 3381.1 g 91%

Vitamins (84%)

Vitamin A |187675.1 IU 6256%

Folate | 5060.6 µg 1265%

B1 (Thiamine) | 6.5 mg 545%

B2 (Riboflavin) | 6.4 mg 490%

B3 (Niacin) | 48.0 mg 300%

B5 (Pantothenic Acid)| 13.2 mg 264%

B6 (Pyridoxine) | 8.3 mg 640%

B12 (Cyanocobalamin) | 0.3 µg 13%

Vitamin C | 1091.1 mg 1212%

Vitamin D | 0.0 IU 0%

Vitamin E | 66.5 mg 444%

Vitamin K | 8596.2 µg 7163%

Minerals (99%)

Calcium | 2858.0 mg 286%

Copper | 6.7 mg 745%

Iron | 65.3 mg 817%

Magnesium | 1847.9 mg 462%

Manganese | 27.2 mg 1182%

Phosphorus | 2836.6 mg 405%

Potassium | 15438.8 mg 328%

Selenium | 158.8 µg 289%

Sodium | 1394.2 mg 93%

Zinc | 29.9 mg 272%

Lipids (56%)

Saturated | 5.5 g 28%

Omega-3 | 7.7 g 479%

Omega-6 | 16.3 g 96%

Cholesterol | 0.0 mg 0%

eating the banana peel ? I've heard it is better to not put too many banana skins in compost because it would slow down the whole compost, I guess it cannot be digested very well in the stomach either. I'm curious, how did you get the idea to eat the skin and what are the benefits/nutrients ?

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

And I have a new signature.

IYM - I got the idea from someone on Dr. Fuhrman's forums. Basically, it is just a bunch of fiber, which I don't really need. They have also been shown, when made into tea, to relieve symptoms of depression and seasonal affective disorder. Overall, I doubt there is any significant benefit or harm, but I like what they do to the texture and flavor. Gorillas eat the whole banana when they are given organic ones, so it can't be all that bad. Hopefully.

The metric system is socialized measurment. If you implement it it will only be a matter of time before your grandma will stand in front of a death panel being forced to deny the existance of baby Jesus.

And I have a new signature.

IYM - I got the idea from someone on Dr. Fuhrman's forums. Basically, it is just a bunch of fiber, which I don't really need. They have also been shown, when made into tea, to relieve symptoms of depression and seasonal affective disorder. Overall, I doubt there is any significant benefit or harm, but I like what they do to the texture and flavor. Gorillas eat the whole banana when they are given organic ones, so it can't be all that bad. Hopefully.

Now I am presuming you are using organic bananas? I dont know if I could clean treated bananas that well as to put them into my drink.

It's funny because it's true!

Gorillas eat the whole banana when they are given organic ones, so it can't be all that bad. Hopefully.

Gorillas are awesome, that is scientifically proven.

Regarding your diet cubby. I'm impressed by your n-3/n-6 ratio, high mineral and vitamin intake, amount of protein (from strictly whole foods) and of course the variety of veggies and fruits. However, 193 grams of fiber is crazy. It can both reduce mineral absorption (shouldn't be a problem) and lower your t-levels (might be a problem since you're eating low (sat) fat).

I just noticed Offense74's post. I would love to get those DVDs, those sound like interesting lectures. As far as longevity goes, the most proven things seem to be a diet low in animal products and processed food (well, many long-lived people eat/ate white rice), and high in vegetables. Anything other than that is really up for debate, it seems.

I think low caloric intake overall seems to be the most proven thing, however this is easiest done on a diet high in vegan foods it seems. Also avoiding malnutrition is def proven even in the western world.

Pazios:

Yes, I use organic, fair trade bananas most of the time. Another part of the gorilla anecdote, is that they would peel the conventional bananas and only eat the inside. Not that I am basing a whole lot on that fact.

Johan:

Yeah, I am not worried about minerals, with how high my intake is, agreed. I have seen varying things in studies on T levels and fat/fiber. In some, people's T levels went up the same amount no matter the source of fat, just so long as there was a significant amount of fat coming in. This is why the low fat level has me slightly concerned. And on fiber and T, I have seen studies that show an increase of T with an increase in fiber. I didn't look at them closely, so this may just have to do with consuming a healthier diet, which would come with the fiber. I am not refuting what you said, just throwing something else out there. My fiber usually isn't that high. I put lentils in for the legumes, which I rarely use. Lentils have something like double the fiber of other legumes. Wanna compare studies. I need to try to find mine. I had them in a file at one point...

And on another note: There has been a study (on mice, unfortunately) that showed an increase in strength by 20% in the experimental group over the increase in the control group, of mice fed an steroid extract from spinach, which is common in many leafy greens. The researchers surmise that a human would have to consume about 1kg of leafy greens (doesn't have to be spinach, some greens, especially those closest to basil, are higher), to get the desired effect, if it is even applicable to humans. I consume at least 1.2kg of leafies a day. I hope the effect works on humans. Also, there are no side effects to it, because it doesn't cause testosterone production to down regulate.

Increased p70(s6k) phosphorylation during intake of a protein-carbohydrate drink following resistance exercise in the fasted state.

The present study aimed at comparing the responses of myogenic regulatory factors and signaling pathways involved in muscle protein synthesis after a resistance training session performed in either the fasted or fed state. According to a randomized crossover study design, six young male subjects participated in two experimental sessions separated by 3 weeks. In each session, they performed a standardized resistance training. After the sessions, they received during a 4-h recovery period 6 ml/kg b.w. h of a solution containing carbohydrates (50 g/l), protein hydrolysate (33 g/l), and leucine (16.6 g/l). On one occasion, the resistance exercise session was performed after the intake of a carbohydrate-rich breakfast (B), whereas in the other session they remained fasted (F). Needle biopsies from m. vastus lateralis were obtained before (Rest), and 1 h (+1h) and 4 h (+4h) after exercise. Myogenin, MRF4, and MyoD1 mRNA contents were determined by RT-PCR. Phosphorylation of PKB (protein kinase B), GSK3, p70(s6k) (p70 ribosomal S6 kinase), eIF2B, eEF2 (eukaryotic elongation factor 2), ERK1/2, and p38 was measured via western blotting. Compared with F, the pre-exercise phosphorylation states of PKB and p70(s6k) were higher in B, whereas those of eIF2B and eEF2 were lower. During recovery, the phosphorylation state of p70(s6k) was lower in B than in F (p = 0.02). There were no differences in basal mRNA contents between B and F. However, compared with F at +1h, MyoD1 and MRF4 mRNA contents were lower in B (p < 0.05). Our results indicate that prior fasting may stimulate the intramyocellular anabolic response to ingestion of a carbohydrate/protein/leucine mixture following a heavy resistance training session.

I'm not sure if this matters much in the long run but it's pretty cool and supporting the idea that training in a fasted state isn't a catabolic disaster.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, Johan!

I am not sure where my body fat is, but I have dropped 7lbs and gained a bunch of strength since two months ago. I think I might nail a 405 deadlift in a few weeks.

BTW everyone, the leangains.com blog was updated recently with two parts of an interview with a champion female figure competitor who uses IF.

My food intake as per Johan's request on the Dr. Fuhrman bodybuilding thread:

Then when I get home, I eat a soup made with

2 cups dried beans, cooked

1lb leafy greens

1lb solid vegetables

1 6oz can tomato paste

1/4 cup nutritional yeast

1/4 cup nuts/seeds

I blend half of it to make a creamy soup, then eat half of it, usually with a piece of fruit and some carrots.

What kinds of combos of nuts and seeds are you using Cubby?