Why does this keep happening with the board...

RAINRA

This is rather annoying and it happens to me way to much that I just almost refuse to get on here because of it.

every time I push " view your posts" or "view new posts" or View active topics I get this warning.

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes."

I have to usually have to leave the site to come back and try the links. Any idea why this happens?

Search queries are expensive resource hogs on the database, so the software is set up to limit you from searching too frequently or it could crash the database and/or bring the site to a crawl. I'm guessing these features require expensive searches to be performed and so if you click it repeatedly the software stops the search to prevent people from intentionally (or unintentionally) crashing the database.

Search queries are expensive resource hogs on the database, so the software is set up to limit you from searching too frequently or it could crash the database and/or bring the site to a crawl. I'm guessing these features require expensive searches to be performed and so if you click it repeatedly the software stops the search to prevent people from intentionally (or unintentionally) crashing the database.

Very true. I'm sure phpbb sets a time limit for how often you're allowed to use that function, which could always be modified (at the boards own risk). I've never used it before reading this thread, and so far it's worked 100% of the time for me except when I've tried using it twice in a row, which is to be expected. Can't see why anyone would need to use it more than once per visit here.

Macs have nothing to do with anything. Nor does anyones computer. It's a server-side issue.

And for the record, macs are a bit of a joke.

Why are Macs a bit of a joke?

Well, I mean, it's a product that preys on the ignorance of consumers for the most part. It's a ripoff in short. I always feel bad for people who buy them, most of them simply don't know better. Apple has some illegal business practices anyhow, that have been brought to court but alas they have enough money to drive anyone into bankruptcy before anything can be made of it...

I could get specific if you'd like, but for now I'll give a quick example and hope it's enough. My friend bought a mac latop. Cost $2,200. I bought an Asus laptop, cost $1,200. Mine is better than his. The kicker? Asus makes the Mac Powerbook. Our laptops came out of the same factory. But because Apple slapped their logo on his, he payed twice as much for an inferior product.

Macs have nothing to do with anything. Nor does anyones computer. It's a server-side issue.

And for the record, macs are a bit of a joke.

Why are Macs a bit of a joke?

Well, I mean, it's a product that preys on the ignorance of consumers for the most part. It's a ripoff in short. I always feel bad for people who buy them, most of them simply don't know better. Apple has some illegal business practices anyhow, that have been brought to court but alas they have enough money to drive anyone into bankruptcy before anything can be made of it...

I could get specific if you'd like, but for now I'll give a quick example and hope it's enough. My friend bought a mac latop. Cost $2,200. I bought an Asus laptop, cost $1,200. Mine is better than his. The kicker? Asus makes the Mac Powerbook. Our laptops came out of the same factory. But because Apple slapped their logo on his, he payed twice as much for an inferior product.

You gotta be kidding me. I've been programming computers since people were excited to get their hands on a 2400 baud modem. I used to build my own PCs cuz it was easier and cheaper than buying them. So I'm anything but an ignorant consumer, and I love my Mac.

Ever since Mac went Unix-based they've been amazing, especially for programming. I'd never sit down and try and write PHP or C code on a Windows PC, but I can code all day long on unix-based OS X. And I don't need to worry about the endless hassles having a windows PC creates. The wasted frustrated hours trying to fix a driver incompatibility or figure out why a certain device just doesn't work anymore. My computer actually works and does what it should. That was quite a weird feeling after decades of using windows, and quite a relief.

But nothing like a Mac-vs-PC argument to get pointless fast.

I always feel bad for people who buy them, most of them simply don't know better.
The people I see that are using Macs know their stuff just fine... perhaps you need to meet some different mac users.
It's a ripoff in short.
So aren't they all, unless you build your own, and even then...
Apple has some illegal business practices anyhow' date=' that have been brought to court but alas they have enough money to drive anyone into bankruptcy before anything can be made of it...[/quote']Didn't their competition have a few problems along those lines as well?

I don't want to get into a mac vs anything argument here, but there's no sense in slamming a mac os or machine unless you're gonna also slam you-know-who.

My first laptop was a Toshiba. Lasted about two years, then died on me. Screen started going bad, modem stopped working, hard drive eventually failed. My second laptop was an IBM. Lasted about 2 years and two weeks. The motherboard failed about two weeks out of warranty. My third laptop was a Compaq and lasted about two and a half years. It stopped booting for no reason, plus the power cord wouldn't work unless it was just so. My friend suggested I look into macs, so I bought a 14" iBook back in 2005. Four years later, it works just fine along with my G5 Powermac. I upgraded to a MacBook Pro and I am selling my G5 which I should get about $2,200 for with the monitor. I paid about $6,000 for it, so I consider that pretty good over 4 years. My PC desktop I bought for $800 two years ago was just sold for $150. And I sent my iBook off to my sister for her to use and she couldn't be happier. She says it is twice as fast as her two year old PC laptop.

The thing with most mac people is that they once used PC's and know both worlds. The PC loyalists often have never tried a mac and refuse to do so, so they spout unsubstantiated claims to try and discredit mac users.

I am curious how you rate your ASUS as better than your friends mac? What makes your better? Can you list the specs? Can you list all the free software installed on your PC?

I've built computers for years as well. I go to the first college in the United States that had an "IT" program, among other things, so I too am quite well educated. I have known a couple people who are real techies that love Mac's OS because it's built off Unix. I can sympathize, it's why I used Linux for some time. I'm actually writing a Unix survival guide right now. In everyday life, I use a mac half of the time, a pc the other half, occasionally dipping into linux or unix. But let's be honest, the overwhelming vast majority of Mac users are using it because they think/hope it's idiot proof, simpler than windows, everything "just works", "no viruses", etc. -- not because they're a Unix junkie. Most of those claims are misguided, or just flat out wrong, as a result of Apple's pro-idiot marketing.

Also, I program on windows just fine. What does the OS mean to a programmer? Writing code in the most efficient way is a matter of the software you're using. Most of the labs at my college have both Macs and PC's in them, I toggle between the two without a thought.

Your own inability to fix something as simple as a driver problem is more telling about you than it is about Windows, though Windows did used to have more issues with this which is understandable with the vast ocean of hardware they've had to support over the years.

However! Windows 7 is the most amazing thing ever at getting drivers. It might just be the greatest improvement Microsoft has made. It just auto-magically finds drivers, installs them, and you're good to go. Never touch a thing. I've installed it on one laptop and two desktops, all with very different hardware, and a wide array of varying peripherals, and Windows 7 has found them all without me having to do a single thing. It's impressive.

Macs simply ARE a ripoff by definition. I'm not dissing their operating system, despite it having some illogical functioning, but their way of operation. Sure, they'll sell you a nice OS for $130, but you can only run it if you buy their MASSIVELY OVERPRICED hardware to run it on. They markup prices worse than any PC manufacturer. And the reason they get away with it, the reason they have 10% of the market share, is because of their pro-idiot marketing efforts that "Macs just work! Don't compromise! Security (ha)! Ease!" and it's all a joke.

But they're a ripoff whether you like them or not. And their TOS is illegal, this all goes back to the Mac clones from years ago. Look what just happened to Psystar, and they were the first real hope that Apple would get theirs in court, and we'd be able to put their operating system on any machine like you can windows. I'd love to see Microsoft sue them for false advertising as well, but that's a pipe dream.

As for now, it has to be at least 9 of every 10 mac users is either foolish or doesn't care about money.

/rant

My first laptop was a Toshiba. Lasted about two years, then died on me. Screen started going bad, modem stopped working, hard drive eventually failed. My second laptop was an IBM. Lasted about 2 years and two weeks. The motherboard failed about two weeks out of warranty. My third laptop was a Compaq and lasted about two and a half years. It stopped booting for no reason, plus the power cord wouldn't work unless it was just so. My friend suggested I look into macs, so I bought a 14" iBook back in 2005. Four years later, it works just fine along with my G5 Powermac. I upgraded to a MacBook Pro and I am selling my G5 which I should get about $2,200 for with the monitor. I paid about $6,000 for it, so I consider that pretty good over 4 years. My PC desktop I bought for $800 two years ago was just sold for $150. And I sent my iBook off to my sister for her to use and she couldn't be happier. She says it is twice as fast as her two year old PC laptop.

The thing with most mac people is that they once used PC's and know both worlds. The PC loyalists often have never tried a mac and refuse to do so, so they spout unsubstantiated claims to try and discredit mac users.

I am curious how you rate your ASUS as better than your friends mac? What makes your better? Can you list the specs? Can you list all the free software installed on your PC?

Some PC manufactures are much better than others. I like custom builds, and even if you aren't willing to put in a few screws yourself, you can order from custom build places and get a system at a fraction of the price of a Mac that has all quality hardware in it. Granted you can't do that with a laptop.

I use PC's and Mac's every single day. I'm well acquainted with speed comparisons and frankly a well kept windows machine is just "snappier" I've found. And I'm using high end iMacs and Mac Pro's.

And ya know, last year, I spent way too much of my time troubleshooting my sisters MacBook. That thing caused me more grief...and finally, it developed the strangest problem, that turned out to be an issue with the wireless in it that would cause the system to short-out. Manufacturer defect that's been around for years that Apple won't help you with. Then a couple weeks later the system completely died. 3 years old I believe. Generally speaking though, and taking into account the array of defects in Mac's over the years, they have been very high quality in terms of lasting a long time. PC's are every bit the same if you get a good one though!

My comparison I made with my friend, who is an EXTREME die-hard nerd techie in terms of software (hence why he wanted Unix based), but doesn't know a damn thing about hardware, whereas I am the hardware guru of the relationship. We each bought a laptop last summer, and I'd have to ask him what his exact model was for the specs again if you'd really want that.

Mine was simply the first they released on the Montevina platform (Centrino 2, as it's called now). So I had a faster processor that consumed 10 fewer watts, giving me better performance and better battery life. Plus, I had a superior video card, of the next generation as well that also consumed a good deal less power for better battery life, and some really nice things he didn't have like an eSATA port that he was convinced did not yet exist in laptops.

Now, my friend would probably smoke you and half the compsci professors I know in a discussion of anything techie related, so if you saw him with a mac you might use that as an endorsement for the product. But tThe reality is he didn't know his hardware well enough, and acknowledges that I made the better buy.

I will say however that he still loves his mac, and mine isn't THAT much superior to his, and it is a good laptop. It's just that he paid a thousand dollars more for last generations technology that came out of the same factory, made by the same manufacturer, as mine.

I use PC's and Mac's every single day. I'm well acquainted with speed comparisons and frankly a well kept windows machine is just "snappier" I've found. And I'm using high end iMacs and Mac Pro's.

Well kept is the keyword. You need to constantly do maintenance on Windows to keep it well kept. My mac does everything it needs by itself to be well kept. My 2.5 Ghz dual core PC desktop was slower than my 1.43 Ghz iBook. It would take MS a lot of years to convince me that Windows is a decent product.

Well kept is the keyword. You need to constantly do maintenance on Windows to keep it well kept. My mac does everything it needs by itself to be well kept. My 2.5 Ghz dual core PC desktop was slower than my 1.43 Ghz iBook. It would take MS a lot of years to convince me that Windows is a decent product.

That's just not true. Once per month I click something called "1 Click Maintenance" and then I run a disk defrag. Takes 5 minutes tops, runs while I get my oatmeal going. This is probably too often, and unnecessary for most, but given the nature of my work I really demand peak performance at all times so I do it. Your mac is not auto-magically doing "everything it needs by itself" (and if so I would love to know what it's doing), and CPU clock speeds mean nothing so I'm not too sure why you mentioned them...

Anyways, being unwilling to learn the utmost basics of using a computer so that your computer becomes a run down slow piece of junk is no insult to the machine. You'd really propose paying twice as much money rather than learning a few basic things you should know anyways? This is my problem with people who got sold on macs.

This is a partly difficult debate because a mac is both the operating system and the hardware, whereas windows is just an operating system. People act like macs are magical. Look at hardware specs. You can get a windows machine with the *exact* same parts from the *exact* same manufactures for such a small fraction of the price.

To be fair, I was a HUGELY pro-mac person back in the days of Windows XP and all predecessors. I hated mac then, and windows, but mac was way better. Then once Vista came out I felt like it was about a wash. Didn't care much for either but they both were sufficient. Windows 7 is the first operating system that I've fallen in love with. To all mac fans, I highly suggest giving Windows 7 a chance. It will cost you less money, and I believe it is a superior operating system from an end user experience point of view.

I would say I wasted about 2 hours a week trying to configure and setup stuff on my PC's. Considering I make on average $100/hour, that comes out to over $20K over the life of a typical PC for me or $30K over the life of a Mac. Yeah, I don't think it is worth my time learning crap that should just work.

I would say I wasted about 2 hours a week trying to configure and setup stuff on my PC's. Considering I make on average $100/hour, that comes out to over $20K over the life of a typical PC for me or $30K over the life of a Mac. Yeah, I don't think it is worth my time learning crap that should just work.

How on EARTH could that be possible? It takes me 20 minutes to setup a PC. Done. Forever. (though again, I do run a one click maintenance once a month that takes all over 5 minutes, including a defrag. )

You're worse than my grandparents.