Shrugs

Pegesus

I would say I disagree with you on shrugs being a waste of time. I don't feel that you should only be doing shrugs but if you combine them into a routine they definitely have their place. I do deads and power cleans twice a week, shrugs for me on done once a week on a day where i do more isolation exercises.

The gym i'm at has some kind of welded contraption you can put plates on. I guess the grip angle would be like that of doing the exercise with dumbells. I like barbells too. Each way of doing the exercise hits some different muscles, right? So maybe switching them out is best.

I shrug for two main reasons -

1. My clean technique is crap, and I can't clean heavily enough to be a major stress to the trapezius so I opt to go with regular shrugs from time to time. Fixing my clean would take ages to do, which one day I'll get around to, but for now it's not my main goal.

2. Keeping a deep shelf for squats has been helped due to shrugging for me, so I find it beneficial for that.

For how I shrug, it all depends on the day. Barbell some days (usually behind the back because in front just doesn't feel comfortable for me), 1-arm on the smith machine others (one of few exercises I'll give it credit for being decent on), sometimes I do 1-arm with a heavy cable stack, sometimes odd-angle shrugs such as dip shrugs (get in a dip station. start at lockout, and shrug upward), and until I jacked my back up recently, I did enjoy doing Hise shrugs, where you set a heavy bar on your back as if about to squat, and shrug it upward. Plenty of ways to get the job done, but if you can get a good benefit for trapezius work for hang and power cleans, then by all means, they're probably going to be enough for most people.