Seasonal Affective Disoder And Light Therapy

Ryofire

Well, it's that time of the year again when the the days are becoming shorter, the nights are getting longer and the temperatures are dropping. I am currently in the process of discussing light therapy with my Neuro Psychiatrist. I'm doing this mainly to help with the lack of light.

As far as the dropping temperatures go, I am doing my best to adjust to the colder weather. This includes going out for run's (wearing layers and protective clothing of course) and even wearing a do-rag (which so far seems to help) when going to bed.

I started this thread to simply see if anyone has any knowledge of seasonal affective disorder/light therapy, exeperiance from seasonal affective disorder/light therapy, advice, etc.

Comments?

I have done so much research on depression / anxiety as I have battled it for a long time. As far as light therapy...yes it "can" help but I think a lot of people give up after they don't see intimidate results. I found the best thing to do when you can't or not interested in exercise is meditation. tanning beds I have a hate / love realationship with...yes they give you vit D but they also give you problems. I found some really amazing products that are out and about and look very promising. I'm gonna purchase one in a bout a month.

here is one video of what looks like an amazing product...though expensive. there is also other mind machine and games etc out there. feel free to message me if you want and more links / info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lluXWNMQj54&feature=related

I have done so much research on depression / anxiety as I have battled it for a long time. As far as light therapy...yes it "can" help but I think a lot of people give up after they don't see intimidate results. I found the best thing to do when you can't or not interested in exercise is meditation. tanning beds I have a hate / love realationship with...yes they give you vit D but they also give you problems. I found some really amazing products that are out and about and look very promising. I'm gonna purchase one in a bout a month.

here is one video of what looks like an amazing product...though expensive. there is also other mind machine and games etc out there. feel free to message me if you want and more links / info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lluXWNMQj54&feature=related

I also have Aspergers Syndrome. Beleive me that's not something that goes away neither.

In the words of my friend Robert Cutler (a man I know who lives with autism), "if you don't understand a child with autism, call someone with autism in. We live with it everyday."

Anxiety and depression DO go away.. Unless you don't let it. Its not a permanent thing. Pretty much everyone suffers from a deep depression at least once in their lives. If you want to try light therapy don't use tanning beds. You will only increase your risk of cancer. There are specific lamps you can get for light therapy.

I agree with tanning beds and a connection with cancer...that was one of the "problems" I was gonna mention but didn't. My sister works in a hospital and see skin cancer way too often....I was however mentioning it because it does give you vit D. It's like trading one thing for another. It also works much faster then light therapy unfortunately.

I also agree anxiety and depression can be help and end. Also there is a connection between the both of them in most cases. I also want to mention it is not a disease or illness. its a habitual way of thinking and some believe a chemical imbalance. what you gotta do is do as much research as you can and find out what works for you. Other things to look up are your adrenal glans, hormones, thyroid.

As far as your asperger syndrome (I know someone is gonna debate this)... I have also looked it up because I wanted to see if there was any connection. that part I never got to but what I did find out is some people have treated it and the symptoms have dissipated. what they did was a GFCF diet. I stumbled on some stuff on the net and youtube. Check out some stuff Jenny McCarthy says about her son and how she help her little guy. You may find something really good.

There is a huge body / mind connection.....if you can heal your body you can heal your mind and visversa. Ps don't be too hard on yourself either cause no one is perfect.

http://www.generationrescue.org/

None of you to my knowledge actually live with Asperger Syndrome/Autism everyday like I do. Yes, anxiety and depression do go away, but Aspergers/Autism does not. It can be treated definetly, but it's here to stay.

Something that's loud to someone off the autistic spectrum is like 3x louder to me. If I'm reading something I have to wear ear muffs because sometimes noise pollution gets the best of me. Also as you can imagine I have trouble sleeping.

As far as your asperger syndrome (I know someone is gonna debate this)... I have also looked it up because I wanted to see if there was any connection. that part I never got to but what I did find out is some people have treated it and the symptoms have dissipated. what they did was a GFCF diet. I stumbled on some stuff on the net and youtube. Check out some stuff Jenny McCarthy says about her son and how she help her little guy. You may find something really good.

There is a huge body / mind connection.....if you can heal your body you can heal your mind and visversa. Ps don't be too hard on yourself either cause no one is perfect.

http://www.generationrescue.org/

I did mention it...yes I am sure that is a very complex situation but guaranteed that any depression and or anxiety would not help it either. you have to heal your body and mind. stress accounts for 90% of all diseases. Nutrition plays a HUGE role as well. Please do some research on the net and even youtube about a GFCF diet, biomedical, oxygen therapy, and also look up Alpha stim 100. Yes the product is expensive but people's health and well being is priceless and apparently this machine does work, has been on the news and all feedback as been very positive. there are things you can do but you have to make the first step and the first step is being positive, doing the research and then do the homework. I know 2 children with autism.

Here is a google link for alpha stim 100

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=CDn&q=alpha%20slim%20100&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=CDn&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv&q=alpha+stim+100

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=CDn&q=alpha%20stim%20100&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=vw

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=Eu7&q=alpha+stim+100+for+autism&btnG=Search&meta=

PS if you feel you have to wear ear muffs then do it proudly and with a smile...don't focus on judging yourself...

about the gfcf diet, I've read recently in a scientific magazine, many parents said their kid got rid of ASV or ADHD just by not consuming milk anymore. They became more calm and got better results in school. So basically their hyperactivity was due to undigested casein proteins causing some side effects on the brain. For some others its due to wheat gluten allergy, for some others its both. But for some others it has nothing to do with food allergy, but it doesn't mean it cannot be 'cured'. Everything has a cause and autism is only the effect. When its congenital of course less can be done. For somen kids, their parents think they have ADHD so they dope him with Ritalin while in fact those kids are perfectly normal: it is perfectly normal for a kid to run everywhere and to have lots of energy ! Some parents are just retarted or they are just not able to endure when their kids make some noise, they cannot accept that kids are kids.

None of you to my knowledge actually live with Asperger Syndrome/Autism everyday like I do. Yes, anxiety and depression do go away, but Aspergers/Autism does not. It can be treated definetly, but it's here to stay.

Something that's loud to someone off the autistic spectrum is like 3x louder to me. If I'm reading something I have to wear ear muffs because sometimes noise pollution gets the best of me. Also as you can imagine I have trouble sleeping.

Don't get so defensive. We're just trying to help you.

You don't need to go off on how much your life sucks because you have Asperger's Syndrome. It's that attitude that's going to keep you feeling the way you feel. Try to think more positively. If you have to wear ear muffs at bedtime, you gotta wear ear muffs at bedtime. We all get dealt a shitty hand in life at one point or another. If you dwell on it, that's where depression rears its ugly head.

I was diagnosed with clinical depression at the age of 14. I attempted suicide a couple times, and I didn't start feeling better until I changed my attitude.

Of course I'm being defensive, because none of you to my knowledge actually live with Aspergers/Autism. You literally don't understand and you can't relate.

I was diagnosed with clinical depression at the age of 14. I attempted suicide a couple times, and I didn't start feeling better until I changed my attitude.

Also I am not going to change who I am. I feel like you're all telling me to change who I am. Like it or not that's just not going to happen. I say all this because I feel like you are all trying to change me for who I am. So because of this I feel very unsupported. For the record I actually know first hand about suicide, I also attempted suicide around 14 and 15 as well. I once considered it when I 16 after being in a complicated relationship with a girl. I've even lost my uncle Robert to suicide back when I was 13. I had to learn the hard way that I can't and must not ever give up who I am in order to please other people. By killing myself that would only prove all those scumbags, who led me to attempt and think about suicide, right. So to hell with them I had to learn to be a more proud person. That's why I started exercising more and practicing martial arts. I am now a black belt in Ten Chi Kenpo and currently practicing Hung Gar.

I am really sorry for being so defensive before, but I still cannot help but feel unsupported and I'm still a strong and proud person.

Edited by Ryofire

there are things you can do but you have to make the first step and the first step is being positive, doing the research and then do the homework. I know 2 children with autism.

I understand you are all trying to help, really I do. However the question I have for you is, do you know what it's like to be an autistic child. Especially growing up without knowing that you had it officially until your 21st birthday.

If you get the time, please watch this video to learn more about autism. The person in this video is actually autistic himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edlGozkw6PU

Also this was actually written by a man I know with autism who uses FC (facilitated communication):

http://www.mnip-net.org/ddlead.nsf/d0124d90f77b83c9852569a7005c7c68/1ca94b71e364e379852569b3007645aa!OpenDocument

As far as all these new diets and medications, and what not, go, I know for a fact that it may work for some, but I want to discuss this with my social worker and my neuro psychiatrist. If you want my opinion I think they they are just a bunch of nonsense created by our sell out industry society to brainwash us and convince us that we need to be saved. As soimeone who honors the ways of Asatru, I believe that we don't need salvation, all we need is the freedom to face our destiny with courage and honor.

Chris Rock talks about this idea in a more humorous way.

The first video didn't make a lot of sense to me. I decided to go to the wikipedia page on Asperger Syndrome. I thought it was quite good. A number of things are more clear now. I encourage everyone to at least check the summary out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome#Cultural_aspects

That Chris Rock video was hilarious.

Beforewisdom, this site below actually is alot better of an explaination.

http://aane.org/about_asperger_syndrome/what_is_asperger_syndrome.html

I actually ocasion go to open adult and young adult support groups at the AANE.

The first video was made by someone who is autistic, who fights and speaks up for people on the spectrum. He created that video playlist of his as a blog.

Of course I'm being defensive, because none of you to my knowledge actually live with Aspergers/Autism. You literally don't understand and you can't relate.

Also I am not going to change who I am. I feel like you're all telling me to change who I am. Like it or not that's just not going to happen. I say all this because I feel like you are all trying to change me for who I am. So because of this I feel very unsupported. For the record I actually know first hand about suicide, I also attempted suicide around 14 and 15 as well. I once considered it when I 16 after being in a complicated relationship with a girl. I've even lost my uncle Robert to suicide back when I was 13. I had to learn the hard way that I can't and must not ever give up who I am in order to please other people. By killing myself that would only prove all those scumbags, who led me to attempt and think about suicide, right. So to hell with them I had to learn to be a more proud person. That's why I started exercising more and practicing martial arts. I am now a black belt in Ten Chi Kenpo and currently practicing Hung Gar.

I am really sorry for being so defensive before, but I still cannot help but feel unsupported and I'm still a strong and proud person.

I didn't tell you to change who you are, I told you to change your ATTITUDE. Those are 2 different things.

You aren't being unsupported! People are giving you advice and you turn around and play the "I have Asperger's Syndrome" card as if it's an excuse for you being depressed and there's nothing that can change it. You can't change the fact that you have Aspergers but you CAN beat your depression.

Like I said, change your attitude.

Maybe I sound harsh, but you aren't gonna get anywhere if people walk on glass around you.

It seems from the wikipedia page that a central issue with Asperger Syndrome is an impaired ability to communicate. I can see being misunderstood and not understanding other people leading to a disposition where a person expects hostility where there may be none. We should probably give Ryofire some extra room when trying to communicate with him and he should cut us some slack as well as trust.

I sat back on this one for a bit and wanted to hear some responses. I was actually waiting for someone to come on and say you were being defensive or something similar. Personally I had other thoughts. Sounds rude but I will explain.

There are people out in the world who are connected meaning we believe we are spirits having a human experience. How this relates is the fact that people feel empathy and do their best to help others, which is what we all have been doing. A simple thank you and showing some gratification that complete strangers would come together to help another stranger as best as they can would have been a start on how easy it is to change your thoughts. If you want to say we don't know what its like that partial wrong....we all live on this earth not just you. To think someone with autism is separate is just selfish because we are here too. We hear about, see it and have met people with it. lets say you go to the corner store and act out, do you really think that clerk didn't have to deal with it? People with mental and physical disabilities are all around us. No one is perfect and we all deal with it in one way or another. Further more we all have our own personal issues. Millions deal with depression, anxiety, alcoholism, drug addictions, sex addictions and much more. The problem is most people are addicted to their thoughts and emotions. Through every situation that might appear negative there is something positive that can come from it. For example you are in martial arts. How many people are out there that wish they could do that? People look up to people like you. You have great use of grammar. I also bet you are very intelligent and probably could get or have a very good job.

I want to point out which I am sure other have noticed is you came on here looking for help with SAD. We tried to help then you bring up something totally different on us and then say we don't understand. Of all the advice we have given you have dismissed each and every one saying you will get help from your social worker and my neuro psychiatrist which is fine. The real question is if you put so much faith and trust in them why are you on here looking for answers? There is obviously something missing that you are not getting from your doctors. Also not every person in the medical field is perfect that's why we have so many which is why you should go and try other things and go to other people. Like you said "you know for a fact diet helps some". Well if you know that.....have you not tried it? Also the GFCF diet takes up to 6 months for results. The more negative you want to focus on something, the more reality and power you give it! What have you changed in your life to make things better? Whats working for you and whats not working for? What are you grateful for? ask yourself that. If that one is hard you can start with I have a computer, I can type well, I can do martial arts, I have legs etc. You can either change your situation or you can accept it. Right now you are fighting up stream and resisting everything. There is nothing wrong with you, you are just simply living through your ego. Stop focusing on this condition and focus on what makes you happy. Its a proven fact the more someone says they are depressed the more they will become depressed. Now a trick is not saying to yourself "I'm not depressed" why because you are still thinking about it. try saying "I am happy, I love myself". Here's a test.....right now don't think of a blue elephant. I bet a picture for most people of an elephant appeared in their heads. The mind is so powerful. Start focusing on things you like and enjoy. Yes it is hard and takes time. Nothing great comes easy. Have you tried meditating at least 15 minutes a day everyday? Try that.

I hope I struck a nerve because if I have that means you are absorbing some of this.

My apologies a head of time if this was running on a bit or my spelling / grammar was lacking....sometimes my brain just goes into over drive

Thnx Marcina

Well everyone has their own issues and the only person that can change it is one's self. You can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink.

We can be compassionate but don't need to take a slap in the face when we have given good advice but is not what someone "wants" to hear.

If you can't, you're right. If you can, you're right.

I also wonder about the playing of the "card" as what you had mentioned. Because if someone can write, speak and understand well....what's the real issue going on? All I have seen is negativity and resistance. Many people are addicted to their emotions in turn their thoughts, words & actions are a result of that addiction. Change your emotion your thoughts change, change your thought your words change , change your words your action change, change your action you have a different result. The best advice I can ever say to anyone including myself is to ask yourself....are you getting the out come you want? If not you need to change something.

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him. ~Buddha

Much of human communication takes place outside of what is spoken or written. In addition to physical ques people's brains interpolate to fill in blanks. People with Aspergers have trouble with those two things.

Simply telling someone with that disease X may not be enough for X to be communicated to them.

True, they may understand and may just be caught up in being who they are like other cranky people on the internet.

The result is the same, you are still spending your time trying to communicate with someone where it isn't going to happen.