help with workout?

andi

I recently started working out again, and would like to know some ways that would help me lose weight?

I am working on eating a little healthier, not snacking so much. I need some good recipes that are healthy as well.

So if anyone has any ideas, that would help me greatly.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much dietary advice. I don't bother much with planning my diet. I can only tell you what I do. There are probably people here who could give you some recipe ideas.

I don't know what exercising you're doing or what experience you have but I have found that keeping active throughout the day helps to keep the fat at bay. I actually stand up and do six full range squats 7, 8 or more times each day. Not enough to tire myself out but enough to burn a few extra calories. One or two studies conclude that more than just exercise sessions are needed to lose fat - you have to avoid sitting for too long or too often because sitting can suppress the activity of lipase which then allows fat to recirculate in the bloodstream instead of being absorbed into the muscles. This was seen in pigs but was later seen in humans otherwise I wouldn't have believed it nor mentioned it. Again, not knowing your experience, I don't know what other reasons you have for exercising but, if it's for general health, walking is suggested by one study to be very necessary:

----------

Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports. 18(6):736-741, December 2008.

Walking, vigorous physical activity, and markers of hemostasis and inflammation in healthy men and women. Conclusion: Regular walking is associated with lower levels of hemostatic and inflammatory markers independently of vigorous physical activity in healthy men and women.

-----------

I've only read the abstract but it makes sense to me - which is why I try to keep active throughout the day regardless of what 'formal' exercise I take.

For fat loss, I would try some interval training a few times each week and some reasonably vigorous walking a few times each week. The interval training could consist of weights as well as the more usual non-weight types. And a good diet of veggies. My diet isn't the best, consisting as it does mainly of bread, tea, soya milk, tahini, apples, nuts, raisins and baked beans, but it would be great for anyone with the addition of more veggies, fruits, rice, lentils, quinoa and some other good things. I keep away from most highly processed foods and especially normally avoid cakes, biscuits and sweets.

Avi Lehyani, who's interviewed on this site - http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_avi - talks a bit about his diet. You might get some ideas. He mentions soya but says it is hard to cook. You can try tofu and other soya products. No cooking involved, except for a bit of heating up.

---------------------------

From the Lehyani interview:

How would you describe your nutrition program?

I am not a person inclined to culinary quests, I keep my diet to the most simple ingredients. My staple foods are whole wheat bread, brown rice, oats, and beans. I consume very little soy as I find it very hard to cook and the whole phytosterol controversy makes it suspect for the moment. I do not consume oils per se but I will always include fat containing foods like tahini, olives, avocado, nuts etc. I don't concern myself with calories except making sure I eat enough for the day. Vegetables are a must and always in quantity but I don't really look for the much more expensive organic kind.

So in other words:

Carbs 65%

Protein 20%

Fats 15%

----------------

I've been reading a very interesting discussion/fight on baye.com and seriousstrength.yuku.com about fat loss, diet and exercise. I am more confused now than I was before I started reading it. So I will continue to do what I think is best - which has always worked for me in everything except interactions with women.

Good luck.

thanks for some ideas. i've been starting to work out more lately. it's hard because i work such odd shifts at my job, and my job consists of me sitting all day talking to insurance companies, so i don't move around too much at my job.

i feel if i start going on walks at least once a day on top of doing cardio and lifting it would help a lot.

also, my diet hasn't been the best lately either, ha. i eat a lot of chips and salsa way too much than i should. but i have been drinking more vegetable juice lately and it's helping me feel more full throughout the day so i don't snack as much.

i'll just keep trying, that's all i can do.

hey I noticed you said you work odd shifts at work. Is it because you can't make it to the gym in time ?

If I couldn't make it in time for the gym because of my weird hrs.

I use my DB weights at home. You would be amazed what you can do with them. For cardio I run outside or walk my two big dogs.

Then the times I can make it to the gym, weather first thing in the morning and late at night. My trainer will then kick my ass.

Mental Note, Remember the higher your metabolism raises the more body fat you're going to loose.

Also for diet. Make sure you're drinking a lot of water.