How should gloves fit?

Gloves in weight lifting are use for the purpose of reducing calluses. Loose fit might be the problem, and moisture probably does increase friction against the inner lining of the gloves.

"If your callus is relatively thin, moisturizing may be all that’s needed. Simply keep it moist, rub it a little and in a few days it will be gone. For thicker and harder calluses, you may have to use a pumice stone or sandpaper to sand it down. Under no circumstances should you cut or shave a callus. If your callus is so thick and hard that sandpaper and moisturizers will not soften it, you should see a medical professional."

Get a Ped-Egg - best remover of calluses on my hands that I've used. Best way to get rid of them if you find that the gloves don't do enough!
Oh wow, those things gross me out so much... does it hurt? so... sometimes gloves just don't do the trick? i'm only lifting girlie weights, i didn't think this would happen.

chalk seems like a hassle to lug around and keep track of. is it?

One of the main reasons for callus formation in the gym is incorrect gripping of the bar/dumbbell. Most people tend to grip the bar/dumbbell in the middle of their palm which causes the skin to be squished down towards the bottom of your palm.

Chalk might be a bit redundant if you're not aiming to do heavy pulling movements But bringing you're own chalk to the gym ain't much of a hassle really. I bought a chalk ball which I carry around in a little pouch, that way I don't have to worry about making a mess around the gym.

Get a Ped-Egg - best remover of calluses on my hands that I've used. Best way to get rid of them if you find that the gloves don't do enough!
Oh wow, those things gross me out so much... does it hurt? so... sometimes gloves just don't do the trick? i'm only lifting girlie weights, i didn't think this would happen.

chalk seems like a hassle to lug around and keep track of. is it?

Nope, no pain with the Ped-Egg - it's basically a mini cheese grater, but the grating surface is so shallow, it would take about 30 seconds of hard scuffing against non-callused skin to actually make anything painful (and you'll know well enough before it gets to that point!)

Chalk is good, but I would still get calluses when using it. Though I supposed that numerous sets of heavy rows and deadlifts will pinch skin and toughen it no matter what, but the chalk does at least lessen the overall damage. Check with your gym to find out how they feel about chalk - some are cool with it as long as you clean up, others have threatened to revoke my membership over it. All depends on where you train.

Otherwise, go with the gloves, but don't forget to consider the Ped-Egg if you want to go gloveless and be able to remove those things when they start to build up!